home defense 9mm ammunition help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > home defense 9mm ammunition help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default home defense 9mm ammunition help

I just bought a glock 34 and I am now looking for a box of hollow points for home defense and concealed carry purposes.

in the hunting world i am a big fan of federal premium ammunition and it seems like they make some decent 9mm home defense loads. i was looking at the hydra shock 147 grain jhp (im assuming that means jacketed hollow point?). is there anything else that is better in 9mm out there?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

There's alot of opinions out there, but you won't go wrong running 147 grain hydras in your Glock.

Get a box and shoot a few rounds out to see how they perform in your pistol.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Generally speaking light, fast bullets will penetrate less. 115gr +P or even 90 gr +P (Cor-Bon?) will be less likely to over penetrate walls.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

My gal carries a 9mm and we run 135gr hollow points in it. I am very comfortable with that round in her hands.

The 147's work well for a defense round and is a great carry choice. For in home usage, they might be moving a bit fast & hard if you have concerns about over penetration. The same could probably be said about the 135'ers, but at home, we have other plans.

There are only two of us in the house, so I don't have the standard child in the next room concerns.

JD

Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Use: Corbon Pow`Rball Ammunition PB09100/20, 9 mm + P, Powerball, 100 GR, 1450 fps, 20 Rd/bx

Old 02-28-2009, 02:27 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

147 JHP is really an energy-expending round in 9mm, and what I carry, (with a +P load). I'm not concerned about whether it's going to penetrate sheetrock, because I don't plan on having to kill sheetrock. I am confident, however, that it will expand like a mofo, cause an assload of trauma, and not come out the other side of Mr. Intruder at the same speed it went into him.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:47 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
147 JHP is really an energy-expending round in 9mm, and what I carry, (with a +P load). I'm not concerned about whether it's going to penetrate sheetrock, because I don't plan on having to kill sheetrock. I am confident, however, that it will expand like a mofo, cause an assload of trauma, and not come out the other side of Mr. Intruder at the same speed it went into him.
interesting. i also am not interested in penetrating sheet rock. what I am interested in is have a bullet that is very easy to shoot (hence why i went with 9mm as opposed to .40). im looking for maximum damage and stopping power to a human in a home defense situation with the 9mm but i would like to avoid a noticeable increase in felt recoil. would a lighter hollow point bullet be a better bet for me or would the difference be negligible?

Old 02-28-2009, 03:20 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hornady critical defense would be an EXCELLENT choice for exactly what you want. if you can't find that, Gold Dot+P will ALWAYS be top performing but will recoil slightly more. IMO if you have to worry about 9mm recoil, you need more training in the 1st place.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:47 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The 147 grain hydra shock is a good round and I use them in my S&W M&P 9mm compact but I stagger the rounds with fmj (full metal jacket) rounds as I carry the pistol often and don't know if trouble comes will I need impact or penitration so I split the difference and stagger the rounds.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:57 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
you need more training in the 1st place.
I completely agree with that. Nevertheless, even the most highly trained person in the world would probably choose the round that recoiled less over the round that recoiled more if they were both pretty close in performance.