Home defense - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post
While I don't recommend using a 12g shotgun for home defense, I believe a pistol allows for more ammo capacity and greater surprise. People say including my dad, that "ill scare them off with the sound of the action on the pump" Well what if there's 4 armed guys then your just telling them where you are at. Not saying that's you. But I keep my hand gun a ruger sr40c locked and loaded on my night stand with the 15 round mag at night. So i can surprise them. So while I'd recommend a pistol or even high cap 22 or over a shot gun some will disagree. Don't get me wrong i think a shot gun still would scare me off and if that works for you go for it just not what I would recommend.
if there was more than one invader, i am pretty sure the blood and carnage of the first BG being torn apart from a shotgun shell would be a pretty good deterent to the others!

while a shotgun does still need to be aimed, it does not require the same amount of precision a pistol does.

though i do keep a pistol very near my bed while asleep, asdoes my wife, a shotgun would still be my primary firearm for things that go bump in the night.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #12

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

I wish I could subscribe to the shotgun defense theory. It sounds good for sure, seems logical enough, were it me being a bad guy, but BGs don't think the same. No logic other then what fills their pockets. No telling what drugs they're on or craving and what that will do for their will. I will never trust my life to a shotgun. Handguns are the only thing I trust. I'm not okay with having to switch guns during an altercation. I'm not okay with only 4 shots from any gun. I'm not okay with something so long I can't as easily maneuver as I could with something handheld in small spaces which homes are filled with.

But that's just me.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 04-15-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #13

Want to know the best weapon in Call of Duty Black opps 2 is.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:12 AM   #14

Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396
While I don't recommend using a 12g shotgun for home defense, I believe a pistol allows for more ammo capacity and greater surprise. People say including my dad, that "ill scare them off with the sound of the action on the pump" Well what if there's 4 armed guys then your just telling them where you are at. Not saying that's you. But I keep my hand gun a ruger sr40c locked and loaded on my night stand with the 15 round mag at night. So i can surprise them. So while I'd recommend a pistol or even high cap 22 or over a shot gun some will disagree. Don't get me wrong i think a shot gun still would scare me off and if that works for you go for it just not what I would recommend.
Four intruders will be scrambling over themselves getting away from the sound of a pump shotgun racking a shell, I hope. The defense plan is to grab the pistols, secure the room, lock the door and barricade, set up security behind the bed with the shotgun and at least two 1911's, call 911 and let them handle it. That's at night, of course, with us in bed. Other situations call for different responses. My pump is filled with military grade 00. Worked great at clearing rooms and popping doors in the sandbox. Take down BG lickety split. I don't know. Best laid plans only work until the SHTF.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:15 AM   #15

Imho.........

Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamamasami

Four intruders will be scrambling over themselves getting away from the sound of a pump shotgun racking a shell, I hope. The defense plan is to grab the pistols, secure the room, lock the door and barricade, set up security behind the bed with the shotgun and at least two 1911's, call 911 and let them handle it. That's at night, of course, with us in bed. Other situations call for different responses. My pump is filled with military grade 00. Worked great at clearing rooms and popping doors in the sandbox. Take down BG lickety split. I don't know. Best laid plans only work until the SHTF.
I have two children cant barricade myself in the bedroom got to go out and protect!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolietGunner

I have two children cant barricade myself in the bedroom got to go out and protect!
Well, in that case, might I recommend a guard panther?
image-675143398.jpg  

Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamamasami

Well, in that case, might I recommend a guard panther?
love that idea...Sweet!Not so good for my sheltie...

Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #19

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Only thing I don't like about any long gun for home defense is that your maneuver and reaction time to target is going to be reduced, doesn't matter who you are. So I'd always grab my handgun first but if what I had was a 20 gauge it would certainly get the job done

Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #20

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Shotguns have advantages . So do pistols .

Shotguns have much more stopping power and are easier to shoot accurately .

Pistols are easier to move around with, harder to snatch out of your hands , hold more rounds and are easier to operate with one hand . Pistols can easily be worn holstered around the house if desired .

If you have both, you can use the pistol when you can't get to your shotgun or use the pistol as a back-up in the event your shotgun goes dry .
Try this site for informative videos : http://www.guntalk.tv/site.php
and :

Keep the fight going at www.ruger.com !

Last edited by Rentacop; 03-21-2013 at 07:38 PM.