Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Home defense

What do you think about a 20 gauge shotgun for home defense?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Depends on what load you are using and for what gun. Better than a baseball bat or a goldfish. Whatever works for you is the best option to go with. As long as you have good shot placement, I don't see a problem. Same thing goes with a .22 LR firearms. Size doesn't mean anything if you can't connect to your target in a kill group.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 03-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2231 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

Gunner,

A 20 ga. shotgun is just fine for home defense. The issue is in the proper selection of the shells. I would suggest #2 or BB Shot or something in that range. 00 Buck and Rifled Slugs are not a good choice for inside work. This due to the fact of penetration especially in sheet rock walls. 00 can penetrate up to 6 layers of normal drywall material. And a slug also has an issue regarding this. Of course, anytime when defending ones self in an indoor environment the location of other people and family members is critical. No matter if a pistol, shotgun, rifle or any other weapon is used. The #2 or BB Shot energy will dissipate much sooner than the 00 or Slugs. But the #2s or BB Shot at close range the wad will not open quickly and with most all shot still in the Shot Cup as one unit. It will look like q slug if you shoot it at a target. If you do not believe it go set a piece of cardboard up at 3-5 yards and shoot the cardboard even with #6s. Pretty impressive! You will get the impression that it is very effective as a protection gun. And being vindictive! Should the aggressor/burglar or what ever not expire which likely they will with a center mass strike. They will carry the pellets as a reminder for life since it will be nearly impossible to get all of them out of body!
So "YES" the 20 Ga. will work just fine with the correct selection of ammunition.!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

A shotgun does not much room for the shot to spread out in a normal house.
Penetration is still there, but it still has to be "aimed" to do the job efficiently.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #5

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

There is a school of thought that says the best weapon for home defense is a shotgun. While my first choice is a handgun (because it is the firearm I am most familar with), there is a lot to be said for a shotgun as the primary defensive weapon, not the least being the psychological effect. Other advantages are reduced penetration and the shot spread. 20 gauge would have less recoil, therefore potentially faster and easier handling than a 12 gauge.

Sounds like a good choice to me.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I recently saw a segment on this very topic on Shooting USA. He indeed recommend a 20 gauge pump 1st round shot, 2 nd round buck and ball, 3rd shot slug. I 'd imagine after that use the shotgun for a club (lol)

Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpears471 View Post
I recently saw a segment on this very topic on Shooting USA. He indeed recommend a 20 gauge pump 1st round shot, 2 nd round buck and ball, 3rd shot slug. I 'd imagine after that use the shotgun for a club (lol)
But the VP said that a double barrel would work.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #8

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

While I don't recommend using a 12g shotgun for home defense, I believe a pistol allows for more ammo capacity and greater surprise. People say including my dad, that "ill scare them off with the sound of the action on the pump" Well what if there's 4 armed guys then your just telling them where you are at. Not saying that's you. But I keep my hand gun a ruger sr40c locked and loaded on my night stand with the 15 round mag at night. So i can surprise them. So while I'd recommend a pistol or even high cap 22 or over a shot gun some will disagree. Don't get me wrong i think a shot gun still would scare me off and if that works for you go for it just not what I would recommend.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396
While I don't recommend using a 12g shotgun for home defense, I believe a pistol allows for more ammo capacity and greater surprise. People say including my dad, that "ill scare them off with the sound of the action on the pump" Well what if there's 4 armed guys then your just telling them where you are at. Not saying that's you. But I keep my hand gun a ruger sr40c locked and loaded on my night stand with the 15 round mag at night. So i can surprise them. So while I'd recommend a pistol or even high cap 22 or over a shot gun some will disagree. Don't get me wrong i think a shot gun still would scare me off and if that works for you go for it just not what I would recommend.
I was also considering a .22 semi-auto rifle.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 AM   #10

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

If your new to guns I wouldn't recommend it but if not check out a tactical 22 I just got my mp5 22 on Saturday and I love same aproxx weight as the 9mm version same action as well a actual upper and lower receiver I'd feel pretty safe with it locked and loaded

image-773443049.jpg  

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"