Home defense - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

this is exactly the point i was trying make. everyones situation and floorplan is going to be different. so different techniques for different situations. in certain situations, a person may need to get to other family members in another part the house. and sometimes, the better option might be to hole up in a place and make the BG's come to you. use what works the best for you and what will provide the best defence for you and your family, period.

IFCshooter, when they entered your home, they became a danger, period. that is very clear to me and insuch they have placed themselves into my house, so therefor i get to play by my rules. and my rules are simple, my family and i get to live, and the BG leaves, horizontal or vertical, his choice.
I totally agree with what your saying, I guess for me the issue is my family. If I get killed due to going after the bg, my family are screwed. If I get sent to prison because of a loose round, my family are screwed ! Without family Its a different matter, all I would have to worry about is shot placement. But as you have said, and you right, it's about judging the situation at the given time. I think the law tends to influence my thinking in this since the aftermath can be almost as devastating. Survival first but if I can minimize the risk that would be even better. Having said all this who the hell knows what's gonna happen on the night, what with sleep deprevation, adrenaline rush etc etc.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #72
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21641 Times on 12276 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcshooter View Post
I totally agree with what your saying, I guess for me the issue is my family. If I get killed due to going after the bg, my family are screwed. If I get sent to prison because of a loose round, my family are screwed ! Without family Its a different matter, all I would have to worry about is shot placement. But as you have said, and you right, it's about judging the situation at the given time. I think the law tends to influence my thinking in this since the aftermath can be almost as devastating. Survival first but if I can minimize the risk that would be even better. Having said all this who the hell knows what's gonna happen on the night, what with sleep deprevation, adrenaline rush etc etc.
LFCshooter, you need to make a plan that suits your needs and will afford you the best defence in providing security for you and your family. not me or any one else. do what works for you. if your home is broken into, you and your family being alive after an encounter with a BG or BG's, is your first priority.

when it comes to your safety and the well being of your family, remember this, "better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six". being alive is much more important and the BG not, was a choice he made when ttrying to break the law and commit a criminal act. he made a choice, just as you have to. protecting your family is the right choice, and the BG, well make him regret his bad decision!

Old 11-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #73

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I keep my SR40 on the night stand and I have a Mossberg 500 (18.5 barrel) just inside the closest.

Let your reps know how you feel about your 2nd Amendment Right.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Old 11-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2003 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 961

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
LFCshooter, you need to make a plan that suits your needs and will afford you the best defence in providing security for you and your family. not me or any one else. do what works for you. if your home is broken into, you and your family being alive after an encounter with a BG or BG's, is your first priority.

when it comes to your safety and the well being of your family, remember this, "better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six". being alive is much more important and the BG not, was a choice he made when ttrying to break the law and commit a criminal act. he made a choice, just as you have to. protecting your family is the right choice, and the BG, well make him regret his bad decision!
Correct you are. This has been more or less a discussion about which weapon to have and how to use it BUT as I stated earlier the 'safe room' where you can make a stand MUST have several other considerations. Ingress and egress are essential. You want to be able to get into the room and secure it safely and escape if necessary, probably out a window, which may require a rope ladder if it is a second story or higher. This same window can be a problem if the bandits can access it and either enter or fire trough it to neutralize you, or in the event the bandit starts a fire in the house you need to get out safely. Then there is communication. This is not much of a problem in the world today if you have good cell service, if not you need a room with a phone in it that does not not require AC power to operate it (no cordless phone). If it is possible to separate your family from you in the room, like behind another bed or piece of furniture or in a closet so if you do draw fire or have to fire they are not in the line of fire.
Just a little food for thought!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5830 Times on 3296 Posts
Likes Given: 5310

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcshooter View Post
I totally agree with what your saying, I guess for me the issue is my family. If I get killed due to going after the bg, my family are screwed. If I get sent to prison because of a loose round, my family are screwed ! Without family Its a different matter, all I would have to worry about is shot placement. But as you have said, and you right, it's about judging the situation at the given time. I think the law tends to influence my thinking in this since the aftermath can be almost as devastating. deprevation, adrenaline rush etc etc.
If you end up in a court rroom as a result of a gunfight, it means you won the gunfight. Ask yourself if your family would rather visit you in jail or in the cemetery.

Winston Churchill
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #76
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Love daves videos, I would keep a shotgun in my bedroom in case I had to defend myself in that room. I would have a pistol on my side so I can maneuver around my house if I had to clear it.