Home defense - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I live in a house trailer with my wife and 19 month old son. I keep a loaded ruger SR9 beside the bed during the night and in my hip during the day. It goes where I go no exceptions. That being said if the situation arose I would have my pistol in hand only to get to my legal length m4 that I keep in a gun cabinet in the closet beside my bed with a full clip. The M4 slung across my shoulder and pistol raised and ready I would then clear my house. Where I live the police are 45 minutes to am hour and a half away. I have no military or Leo training but I know how to work the corners and clear a room. I have friends in high places that know their stuff. I use the pistol to clear the house because of penetration issues. Even though my walls are 2x4 walls they are still mobile home walls. Not gonna stop much at all. I carry the m4 on my shoulder in case of some freak chance of a fire fight. But I will say this. When that situation comes up I move quick and quiet. I don't want them knowing what's hit them till the coroner is zipping up the bag.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 411 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I don't feel the need at this time to have a firearm beside me . But if i did it would be a shotgun every time and a pistol for backup.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 411 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556 View Post
I live in a house trailer with my wife and 19 month old son. I keep a loaded ruger SR9 beside the bed during the night and in my hip during the day. It goes where I go no exceptions. That being said if the situation arose I would have my pistol in hand only to get to my legal length m4 that I keep in a gun cabinet in the closet beside my bed with a full clip. The M4 slung across my shoulder and pistol raised and ready I would then clear my house. Where I live the police are 45 minutes to am hour and a half away. I have no military or Leo training but I know how to work the corners and clear a room. I have friends in high places that know their stuff. I use the pistol to clear the house because of penetration issues. Even though my walls are 2x4 walls they are still mobile home walls. Not gonna stop much at all. I carry the m4 on my shoulder in case of some freak chance of a fire fight. But I will say this. When that situation comes up I move quick and quiet. I don't want them knowing what's hit them till the coroner is zipping up the bag.

I wouldn't want to mess with you.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #54

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556
The walls arent's 2x4s, the studs behind them are, the walls are sheetrock. I've built mobile homes; triple, double, and single wides. I know for a fact that all handgun ammo, including 22lr will go through at least three slabs of it and beyond. A slow 45acp will go through six sheets, two cheap mobilehome doors, and stop in the seat of a total gym, after smashing through a reinforced metal frame wall of that seat. Don't delude yourself, in any home, dont just pull the trigger or you are risking the lives of you, your's, and your neighbors', depending on how close they live.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of going after scum, but, at least here in Oregon there is no self-defense plea. You can claim justified homicide because of a home invasion, but the perp has to've entered your sleeping quarters, not just domicile. Again, there's ways around that and its only if the district attourney is as much a liberal panzy as we've come to expect of them and pursues prosecution.

These statements are based on information provided me by my father, a 30+ year Clackamas County Sherif's deputy and youth drug and alcohol counselor and attorney. He's been retired almost a decade so some of this info may well have changed, but I can't find anything in the stautes to refute it. Oregon is EXTREMELY liberal, disgustingly so, but it too is damn beautiful and I wouldn't trade it for a thing.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 11-09-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #55

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

A 9mm is less likely to pass thru a bg's chest and a wall than a 223 is. It may or may not go thru the wall but is rather take my chances with a hollow point 9mm than fmj 223. Here in Alabama if you are within your legal rights where you are and you are in iminent bodily harm you have the right to defend yourself with deadly force.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #56

Liked 2188 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 475

here's the deal on why a .223 round with the right bullet could penetrate less than a 9mm bullet. Jacket thickness and velocity work to make a .223 fragment at close range. A 9mm bullet has a thicker jacket and moves slower and is less likely to make the jacket break at close range. this means you have a larger mass traveling through the walls.

I sat on jury duty for a case where a guy shot at his wife from outsider their trailer home with a .380. The bullet went through the wall near the door, through another half wall, and a counter, then into the cupboard above the stove and into a coffee can where the bullet stopped. That was a low powered 9mm and penetrated quite a bit. A full 9mm Luger round would have kept going even further. A .223 bullet would have probably exited the first wall breaking up into smaller pieces that would penetrate less on the other side.

To increase the possibility of fragmentation a good soft point should be used instead of a FMJ round if using a .223.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #57
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock View Post
I would worry about over penitration. Mostly because of the layout of my house. It would have to be an extreme sitatuion for me to reach for the shotgun. You ever shot anything with 00 buck close up? I'm not cleaning that mess up.
cleaning up the mess would be the least of my concerns! i plan on using the most effective tool needed to achieve the results that are satisfactory to me. that means the BG gets to leave, one way or another, really doesn't matter to me in the least if it's horzontal or vertical, and my loved ones and i are safe. when the BG comes to my house, he gets to play the house rules: my house, my rules. and for any reason i see fit to change the rules, so be it.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #58

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

This thread is full of misinformation and ignorance.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #59

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
You use your pistol to fight your way to your shotgun.
Bingo.......

NEVER FORGET

Old 11-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #60
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
This thread is full of misinformation and ignorance.
please elaborate on why you think that.