Home defense - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5703 Times on 3224 Posts
Likes Given: 5123

I have four years military and over twenty LE. I wait for back up.

Do you have body armor??? Anybody to give you back up if there are two or more perps???

Think about it.

Winston Churchill

Old 11-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #32

Liked 144 Times on 99 Posts

I usually have the G19 by me but the mossberg is always loaded with 00 buck in the bedroom. Although i practice clearing the house with the pistol I have a pitbull that does her job well. I always keep outside lights on and doors locked. You'd have to be an idiot to try an get in here.
I wouldn't use a rifle for Hd tho, shotguns even iffy imo.

Last edited by GaryGlock; 11-08-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #33

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock View Post
shotguns even iffy imo.
Why do you say that?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #34

Pistol personally in the house, ( Glock 23 ).

Old 11-08-2012, 03:11 AM   #35

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

lo yes i do have body armor i have one from u.s. palm and one from point blank with the stab plates also . and as for backup i do have my wife who is a dead shot but she would be headed to the end of the house with my girls who also are both great shots. but in most cases i will clear the house myself . having grown up in fla i know what your saying having been carjacked once where i was shot twice. but again i have to point out when law enforcement is at best 15 minutes away in a critical situation you dont have time to just sit on your hands and wait not these days. i now work as a fugutive recovery agent so guess it comes with the job as you being former leo have to know sometimes you cant wait for backup or you die.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddawg1 View Post
lo yes i do have body armor i have one from u.s. palm and one from point blank with the stab plates also . and as for backup i do have my wife who is a dead shot but she would be headed to the end of the house with my girls who also are both great shots. but in most cases i will clear the house myself . having grown up in fla i know what your saying having been carjacked once where i was shot twice. but again i have to point out when law enforcement is at best 15 minutes away in a critical situation you dont have time to just sit on your hands and wait not these days. i now work as a fugutive recovery agent so guess it comes with the job as you being former leo have to know sometimes you cant wait for backup or you die.
i'm not trying to be critical, but what about the average citizen who doesn't have your LE training? would you say to do the same thing? IMO, if someone had LE training, then going through the house and clearing it might be the thing to do, but for people without the training, it might be much better to hunker down and make a stand and wait for the calvary. the only other situation where i say that i would see an exception would be if there were loved ones in another part of the house that might be in danger.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #37

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

axxe anyone who owns a firearm at least in my opinion should know how to clear their home and be able to do it even in the dark. i have my family practice going through the house at night with all the lights off just for the reason that they may have at some point to get the hell out of dodge and not be seen doing it. if your going to protect your home you may not always be able to just sit and wait for law enforcement ie crooks are armed to. i dont want a shoot out where i have no place to go and put anyone in the same room at risk. but your right in my home my girls are all the way on the other end of the house so it is a proirty to be able to do it myself as they do not keep a firearm in their rooms due to age restrictions here in nc. and that would fit with another thread here on the 2nd ammendment our rights shouldnt be limited for any reason. but back to this one all of the top survialists as well as most firearms folks recomend you learn how to safely clear your home. and for body armor it has become very affodable and i recomend every homeowner have some type. u.s. palm makes a great peice all set up with your holster and mag pouches on it wether for a rifle or handgun. and many dealers now sell overstock from police agencies at about 250 bucks a small price for safty. here is a good question if for any reason your phone and cell phone dont work what then do you just sit in the corner because you find you cant reach 911 and wait for the criminal to come to you ??? are you sure you will get them first??? thsi is really a catch 22 as there will be many diffrent opinions. i see it as a neccsatie lol probally spelled wrong but anyway for those of us who are not going to get a quick response from law enforcement due to where we are located then you do need to learn to do it yourself.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:52 AM   #38

well it being just the wife and i, and that i have a pretty good early detection system (several barking dogs, inside and outside!) it would be extremely hard for an intruder to get the drop on us. and i do live in a rural area, so the sheriff's deputies would be anywhere from 10-20 minutes in getting to us when calling 911. so in my situation, i feel holding down the fort so to speak and letting the BG's come to us would be a much better idea. as there are at least three pistols and two shotguns in the master bedroom and i feel that we could provide ample firepower to discourage most intruders if needed.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #39

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

and as i said there will be many who would make that same choice i dont knock anyones decision it has to be what is right for the situation and for the person. in mine it is a point that i have to be able to make sure my girls are safe and that means i have to do the clearing to get to that end of the house i cant sit in my room and leave them to fend for themselves. and i will say this to will differ that if it comes down to a shoot situation i will and intruders will leave in a hefty trash bag lol i wont worry about leos asking was it needed and could it have been avioded. when you come in my door if you get that far you will only leave one way and then i will deal with it in the courts i plan on there only being one story to tell and it will be mine. as crazy as this sounds and i dont know about other states but nc your allowed to shoot em thru the door but once they get in your supposed to run and hide unless you can do nothing else that isnt now nor will it ever be me or happen in my home. to me if they come through my door then they mean to do me or my family harm and that means they have to leave feet first. it may be sad for their family when they have to attend their husbands or kids funeral but i will say it will be them who is sad not me attending my kids or wifes funeral. and i love the dawgs if i could keep one inside or out i would but i do have my home wired for vision day and night so i can actually see them before they even make it to the steps i also have driveway monitors surronding the yard so if you break the beam i get an alert inside and have time to welcome them a cheap way to be ready and i would recomend it for anyone who owns a home. they are very easy to hide on your property and will for sure wake you up before they can get to your door about 18 dollars each i have six around as i have 3 acres to cover.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:27 AM   #40

i understand exactly that everyones situation is going to be different and that is why i was not being critical of your suggestions. and why everyone needs to make some sort of plan if this were to happen and what everyones role is.