Home defense - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Jim, I must respectfully disagree.

Do not go out and clear rooms. Let the police do that. They're paid to do it, trained to do it, equipped with the heavy weaponry to do it, and have the available back up.

Have a well thought out plan beforehand, get your family in one room, close and lock the door, call the police, and if your door is breached, fill it with a barrage of 00 buckshot.

My "House Guns" are an Ar-15 M-4 loaded with Hornady TAP, and a Benelli M-4. loaded with 12 pellet 00.

In my 20+ years as an LEO I always told folks to call us first. We'd rather have a dozen false alarms at your house than one dead citizen.

edited to correct typo. My Benelli is an M2, not an m4. (maybe it was wishful thinking0
So am to believe that every time you hear something suspicious you call the police?????
What I said above about the 'safe room' applies when you KNOW there is in fact an intruder. Many times I have went to check on a noise in the basement or out side to find one of my cat knocked over something or a stray dog is after one of my animals or you get a knock at the door late at night and in those cases I arm myself with a hand gun and hastily clear as I go. I do not suggest you go through the house and go after an intruder unless you feel you must do so to protect another!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

JeffnReno Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5934 Times on 3356 Posts
Likes Given: 5484

Jim, common sense is necessary, of course, but "clearing" a building (or basement) where you think there is a reasonable chance an intruder is present is not a good idea.

Arm yourself, sit silently, and LISTEN. If an intruder is present, he will probably make a little noise, sooner or later. At that point, call the police.

And keep a cell phone next to the bed in case the phone line has been
cut.

After dark, I always answer the door bell with a gun in hand, but out od sight of the door.

Additionally, an excellent alarm system can usually be instslled in the average for less than $2000. Less than the cost of a decent rifle and scope. (How much is your peace of mind worth??)

Winston Churchill

Old 11-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #23
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7319 Times on 4403 Posts
Likes Given: 8987

I don't have any long guns. My home defense 'go to gun' is my .357 magnum revolver.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #24

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

My GP100 or 1911 are by me at all times when I'm home. I sleep with my bedroom door open and live alone, unless you count my three 55-75lb dogs. If someone breaks in at night my dogs will let me know. If they don't run upon hearing three angry canines then I'm coming out of my room. I'll already know exactly where they are at that point.

People Like This 
Old 11-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #25
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

I do not have children residing with me and have firearms stashed throughout the house.

Mostly the 1911 platform (same mags and ammo), but there are places that plastic is better due to some moisture.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #26
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Some alarm companies will install a basic system free for the monitoring contract which is usually around $30 a month. I own my own system and the monitor fee is $10 a month.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5934 Times on 3356 Posts
Likes Given: 5484

Even a system with no monitoring at all, but a very loud klaxon is excellent. And there's no monthly charge. My system has no monitoring, but the klaxon makes the air force base 2 miles away think there's an alert in progress!

Just make sure that ANY system has battery back up in case the power is cut.

Winston Churchill
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

anything big enough to pierce a skull lol, no one breaks into my home and lives to tell the tale!

Old 11-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #29

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Always a 12ga shotgun loaded with #4 birdshot.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #30

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

so i look at it this way being former military i can cllear my home i am not sitting waiting for the leos to arrive . in most cases your looking at a minium of ten to 15 mins and where i am more like 45 out in the country along with the fact we only have one deputy in our area . the town police refuse to enter our neighborhood because we are considered as being in the county not town so even a 911 will not be responded to by the locals just truly b.s. but how they work. and since my kids rooms are on the other side of my home i will do my own protection. i have a springfield 9 loaded with hornaday cricital duty ammo or my trsty mossberg 500 tactical and some 00 buck. worst case secineario i can goto the ddm4v7 in an instant. protect your own and save them. in a matter of 10 to 15 mins you may all be laid out when the leos arrive.