Home defense - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I have a 12 gauge double barrel coach gun that I go for first. A few .357's are always nearby.

The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Den = Winchester pump 12 ga model 1200.

Wife's nightstand = 38 special
My nightstand = FN p45 auto dual stack.

6 ft away Browning pump 12 guage.

You can have anything in the rest of my house but don't try coming thru the bedroom door!

Old 11-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I don't like or see a usefulness for long guns for personal defense of any kind, but especially in restricted space sitiations such as home. It's handguns only for me. I also live in a ranch style home, thus the longest visible distance is about 30ft, max, 10-15ft average, from room to room around corners. I could apply a flying kick just as quick as I could get an oversized shotgun up and aimed (obviously an extreme exaggeration to make a point, my flying kick is limited to about 22ft.)

Also, I'm not accepting of the theory that there's no need to aim with the wide burst pattern of a shotgun cartrige, because I believe in accurate placement, damage control and reduced liability. Plus, I'm pretty sure the average home insurance policy doesn't cover a TV I inadvertently shot because the BG was standing near it.

Just my dime.
I would have to disagree!
The BEST way to defend your HOME if you know there is a criminal in the house is to arm your self with a long gun and keep you and your family in ONE room while you call the police. If you are in that room and the door is closed and locked and the criminals breach that door you have a better tactical advantage with a long gun loaded with the BEST SD ammo.
That said, if you are going to go and investigate something that you are suspicious of the hand gun is the proper weapon and you MUST know how to 'search and clear' as you go or you may become just another victim!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

While I own many guns, you are guaranteed to find only one close by and loaded at all times. The same .38 I carry concealed during the day rests quietly at night on my nightstand

Old 11-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #15

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

I would have to disagree!
The BEST way to defend your HOME if you know there is a criminal in the house is to arm your self with a long gun and keep you and your family in ONE room while you call the police. If you are in that room and the door is closed and locked and the criminals breach that door you have a better tactical advantage with a long gun loaded with the BEST SD ammo.
That said, if you are going to go and investigate something that you are suspicious of the hand gun is the proper weapon and you MUST know how to 'search and clear' as you go or you may become just another victim!!!!
I can see your point, actually. When I approach most situations I try and think of them from all angles, but having someone else to protect just isnt something I will ever consider, naturally. I have no family to protect and while I'm pretty sure my state doesn't allow for a self-defense plea when one has left their sleeping quarters, a blanket on the couch and "I fell asleep watching TV" should suffice just fine.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2178 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 643

My wife and I each have an SR9c in the night stand. The house is alarmed and we keep the bedroom door locked. I keep a 20 gauge coach gun loaded with #3 buck nearby. I have a land line and a cell phone to call police and will wait for them. The alarm is monitored and it is posted. Basically I have made breaking into the house not very attractive. Someone would have to be very stupid or I am targeted. In any case anyone kicking in the bedroom door is going to be met with gunfire.
At 21' the shotgun spread is only about 6" with a cylinder bore. 5" with an improved cylinder and 4" with a modified choke. I have tested this myself. They need to be aimed. Aside from getting hit with an ounce of lead some of those pellets are bound to hit something major. Dont believe what you see in the movies. You are not going to get an 18" pattern at 10'.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

People Like This 
Old 11-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

JTJ ,very wise plan! makes a lot of good sense.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #18

Liked 2304 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 508

AR and 12 guage at the ready. Glock on standby.

Long guns are prefered to me, because No matter what the terrain. I want to stop someone quick. Handguns suck at this. I want maximum trauma in minimum time. I use shotgun shell with flite control wads to ensure tight patterns that must be aimed and reduce risk of stray pellets. The AR has 50 gr softpoints in it to get good enough penetration with reduced danger of overpenetration by having an improved chance that they will fragment in the target.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6001 Times on 3399 Posts
Likes Given: 5613

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Jim, I must respectfully disagree.

Do not go out and clear rooms. Let the police do that. They're paid to do it, trained to do it, equipped with the heavy weaponry to do it, and have the available back up.

Have a well thought out plan beforehand, get your family in one room, close and lock the door, call the police, and if your door is breached, fill it with a barrage of 00 buckshot.

My "House Guns" are an Ar-15 M-4 loaded with Hornady TAP, and a Benelli M-4. loaded with 12 pellet 00.

In my 20+ years as an LEO I always told folks to call us first. We'd rather have a dozen false alarms at your house than one dead citizen.

edited to correct typo. My Benelli is an M2, not an m4. (maybe it was wishful thinking0

Winston Churchill

Last edited by locutus; 11-04-2012 at 11:50 PM.
AsSeenOnTV Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #20

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 11-19-2012 at 01:59 PM.