Holsters - To re-enforce or not to re-enforce?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Holsters - To re-enforce or not to re-enforce?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Default Holsters - To re-enforce or not to re-enforce?

I wanted to get your opinion on IWB holsters having a re-enforced mouth. Do you typically look for this type of holster or is it not essential?? I have heard that most of the time the re-enforcement band will get caught up in my belt and will make it harder to draw your weapon.. Comments, thoughts??

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P238
CZ P01 SDP, CZ 75-PCR
Glock 19
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Walther PPS
Ruger SR556E
Springfield XDs 9MM/45 ACP
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Last edited by Stillersfan; 02-04-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #2

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

If the holster is nylon I want something to prevent the nylon from fraying. I want a strip inside a leather holster to prevent the front sight from wearing through. I don't want a holster that is made like a bucket that a lot of TDPA shooters use.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #3

Liked 2143 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 1390

It is important to me that a holster does not collapse when you draw. You should be able to re-holster with one hand. If you can not, it can be dangerous. A lot of people will sweep their weak hand with the muzzle when trying to re-holster if the holster does not stay open on it's own. I have seen this on the IDPA range more than once.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
wittmeba Likes This 
Old 02-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
It is important to me that a holster does not collapse when you draw. You should be able to re-holster with one hand. If you can not, it can be dangerous. A lot of people will sweep their weak hand with the muzzle when trying to re-holster if the holster does not stay open on it's own. I have seen this on the IDPA range more than once.
I have a few leather holsters that have the re-enforced mouth and it seems a little more difficlut to draw then holsters without. I also learned that if you are in a struggle on the ground with a prep is nearly impossible to draw your weapon because the metal around the mouth squeezes the holster to the gun and not allowing it to release. I have tried this (without the gun being loaded of course) and I could not draw my weapon. I was wrestling with my older son who is 6' and 210lbs and I couldnt draw my weapon even if I could reach it because of the re-enforncement. Hmmmm...

CZ P01 SDP, CZ 75-PCR
Glock 19
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Walther PPS
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 02-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #5

Liked 2143 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 1390

I am not talking about metal. I am talking about a second strip of leather that is bonded to the holster near the opening. It is called a stiffener. It is still flexible. But it does not collapse.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I am not talking about metal. I am talking about a second strip of leather that is bonded to the holster near the opening. It is called a stiffener. It is still flexible. But it does not collapse.
Ok.. I think we are talking about two different things. Yes.. I agree that the second strap of leather is more flexible than the metal or plastic insert. That is what I am talking about. If its metal or plastic and not as flexible you can fid yourself in a fix if you cannot draw your gun because of the way it compresses against you.

CZ P01 SDP, CZ 75-PCR
Glock 19
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Walther PPS
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 02-04-2014, 12:47 PM   #7

Liked 576 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 722

I am looking at holsters a lot right now myself. Good timing for this question - I will benefit from replies also.

If you are talking about IWB it would make sense to be metal/plastic to retain the shape and so it doesn't compress while being worn and the gun is out of the holster.

For the IWB the N8 Professional http://www.n82tactical.com/holster-options is on my short list.

It seems something like the IWB Remora http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/remora-rft-holster-iwb-s/1817.htm would flatten out when the guns is out of the holster. The Remora does have a lot of the holster above the beltline which may help.

If you are talking about OWB it appears to me that most reinforcement is for appearance. It may also serve to keep the holster neck open as well. Here are lots of images of OWB mostly with bands at the opening. They appear for appearance, however, but likely help hold the holster open too.

http://www.c5leather.com/Terms.html

Simple OWB molded leather:

I would also like a nice Leather OWB that can be worn as concealed covered with a long shirt tail or jacket. I don't know if it is as important for OWB but could be.

Links of Manufacturers of holsters:
http://gotnarcosis.com/brucewittmeier/technical/Holsters.html

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 02-04-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #8

Liked 329 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I to was try'n to figure out IWB or OWB. IWB for me is leather / kydex or all kydex. OWB is all lether ,doubled up top edge , NO metal or plastic involed. I don't want to have struggle to draw a holster. Snug fit and that's it. Been that way for 27 years.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 02-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #9

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
I have seen this on the IDPA range more than once.
I doubt it or you would have noted that the SRO has checked the gun for chamber clear and the the shooter has dropped the hammer before leaving the range and the guns have no magazines in them. So sweeping the weak side hand is a NO issue in this case they are totally unloaded.

Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 02-04-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #10

Sorry.. I should have stated it in my post but this is mainly IWB holster but would like to hear if you wear OWB as well.

CZ P01 SDP, CZ 75-PCR
Glock 19
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Walther PPS
Ruger SR556E