Hollow points at war - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hollow points at war

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 01:09 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

It never should have happened to begin with. Something people forget, war is dirty, people die. That's the whole freaking idea. I wish we could move beyond war, and really I think the warriors of our societies could do a better job of avoiding war altogether than the politicians can.

Warriors know what is at risk. Politicians "know", but how many of them have really seen the true horrors of it?

Old 01-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #52

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

the geneva con is a bunch of bull that only certain counties fallow, most of our enemies don't give a damn about what a piece of paper says they use what they have. Honestly I think we should be able to use any means available to eliminate the enemy minus nukes and other large scale such bombs, napalm, flamthrowers, hollow points the works. When push comes to shove politics are left behind and the soldier gets the work done, I agree soldiers would probably have a better time avoiding war then the politicians, hell it's no secret our government sucks.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 01-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #53

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post

The Arty guys might have into the tip of their 105 or 155 shells

What we do is put a penny in between the round and the fuze. Creates the whistleing sound that Hollywood has everyone convinced all our rounds make. Forward Observers HATE it when we do that!

OIF Veteran
OEF Veteran
Lifetime VFW Member
NRA Member

Old 01-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #54
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8837 Times on 3825 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Hey Reaper! Y'all need another box from back in the world? If so, any requests?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #55

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

We are good brother. Thanks for the offer though!

OIF Veteran
OEF Veteran
Lifetime VFW Member
NRA Member

Old 01-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Being ignorant , I posed the question to a Marine major. I understand why we restrict HP ammo when we are dealing with a foreign army, however, when we are using US troop as "police persons" against insurgents why are they not issued Hp ammunition like police in the US? He didn't know? Being inquisitive and understanding the question , he brought it to a couple JAG officers of his acquaintance ant they could not answer the question.
I'm not sure I understand the issue raised about "retraining" for the use of HP ammo. Switching from 230 gr. FMJ to 230 gr HP ammo doesn't seem to move the point of impact significantly. Shooting the FMJ bullets requires only a small adjustment in the sights on my 9s. Please, I'm not getting the problem. I would like to see our troops as well armed as our police. Thanks

Old 01-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #57

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter
Being ignorant , I posed the question to a Marine major. I understand why we restrict HP ammo when we are dealing with a foreign army, however, when we are using US troop as "police persons" against insurgents why are they not issued Hp ammunition like police in the US? He didn't know? Being inquisitive and understanding the question , he brought it to a couple JAG officers of his acquaintance ant they could not answer the question.
I'm not sure I understand the issue raised about "retraining" for the use of HP ammo. Switching from 230 gr. FMJ to 230 gr HP ammo doesn't seem to move the point of impact significantly. Shooting the FMJ bullets requires only a small adjustment in the sights on my 9s. Please, I'm not getting the problem. I would like to see our troops as well armed as our police. Thanks
We dont train the majority of troops on a pistol.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #58

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Quote:
It never should have happened to begin with. Something people forget, war is dirty, people die. That's the whole freaking idea.
I wish we could move beyond war, and really I think the warriors of our societies could do a better job of avoiding war altogether than the politicians can.

Warriors know what is at risk. Politicians "know", but how many of them have really seen the true horrors of it?
THANK YOU! Those who have participated in one never forget that very simple fact- Those who haven't will never understand

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #59

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

We dont train the majority of troops on a pistol.

Right. If you are simply talking about switching to hp for the pistol, the reason we don't is because it's not a change worth implementing. Pistols are fired in combat occasionally, but not often enough to really even warrant issuing an extra mag to most guys, much less issuing hps. Carrying pistols in combat comes from the idea that the guy holding it is too busy doing something else (leading troops or operating a radio...etc) to fire a rifle. Coincidently this is the same reason we don't issue sidearms for the most part. You are either a rifle guy or a pistol guy. 99% of the guys who say they had both are full of it, that's just not how tables of equipment work. There are enough weapons at a unit for everyone to have one plus a few spares and lots of repair parts.

Police carry pistols because most of their confrontations happen in areas where a rifle is not the right firearm for the job...often in close quarters with the bad guy. The average bad guy in combat is shot somewhere between 50-200 yards. Way outside the effective range of the M9. By the time the guy with a pistol needs to fire it's already been a very bad day.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #60

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfev1980

Right. If you are simply talking about switching to hp for the pistol, the reason we don't is because it's not a change worth implementing. Pistols are fired in combat occasionally, but not often enough to really even warrant issuing an extra mag to most guys, much less issuing hps. Carrying pistols in combat comes from the idea that the guy holding it is too busy doing something else (leading troops or operating a radio...etc) to fire a rifle. Coincidently this is the same reason we don't issue sidearms for the most part. You are either a rifle guy or a pistol guy. 99% of the guys who say they had both are full of it, that's just not how tables of equipment work. There are enough weapons at a unit for everyone to have one plus a few spares and lots of repair parts.

Police carry pistols because most of their confrontations happen in areas where a rifle is not the right firearm for the job...often in close quarters with the bad guy. The average bad guy in combat is shot somewhere between 50-200 yards. Way outside the effective range of the M9. By the time the guy with a pistol needs to fire it's already been a very bad day.
I new a lot of guys in iraq that thought the m9 was an awesome weapon until the seen me put one through hell just to prove a point.