Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   "Hoarding" Ammo... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/hoarding-ammo-12975/)

G-Man 04-17-2009 01:07 PM

"Hoarding" Ammo...

What is going to happen, let's say a year from now, when people realize that the 'end of the world' is not here yet, and they have rooms full of ammo at home?
I guess we'll have plenty of ammo for sale by individuals!
Please stop!!! All I want is to be able to go to WalMart and buy target ammo...

:(

R-BOLT 04-17-2009 01:13 PM

Why is .22 long rifle being snapped up. Not like it is a great defence round & a box of 500 should kill a heck of a lot of rabbits. We are just driving the prices up creating a false shortage.

Mark F 04-17-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-BOLT (Post 95728)
Why is .22 long rifle being snapped up. Not like it is a great defence round & a box of 500 should kill a heck of a lot of rabbits. We are just driving the prices up creating a false shortage.

I haven't seen any evidence of .22 LR's being in short supply. All the local Wal Marts have a good supply as well as Bass Pro, Cabela's and Academy. A .22 LR is good for a lot of uses. While I don't care much for rimfires, I do own one .22LR autoloader.

Benning Boy 04-17-2009 01:54 PM

I should have learned to reload.

stalkingbear 04-17-2009 02:37 PM

The thing is, No telling what kind of ammo tax or "bullet ID tagging" or ID marking bullets we'll have in the future. Most people ARE going to extremes BUT can you REALLY tell right now how much ammo you're going to need for the rest of your life? I have several thousand rounds BUT am always depleting them by practicing & plinking. I'm constantly having to buy/reload more as I go through a minimum of 400-800 rounds a week for all calibers combined-including (mostly) .22LR. I need to buy a BUNCH of .22LR as that's the caliber I use most when training new shooters for the 1st time. I too am having trouble finding .22LR rimfire.

Mark F 04-17-2009 03:08 PM

.22's aren't a problem here... YET! I expect it will be.

spittinfire 04-17-2009 03:08 PM

Several thousand rounds huh SB? You're a right wing extremist with an arsenal, I've got my eye you...

Dillinger 04-17-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-BOLT (Post 95728)

It's an excellent training round, it's a good, light animal hunting round and in the event of SHTF, it will make a great form of currency, along with things like batteries. ;)

Just food for thought....

JD

Mark F 04-17-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 95742)
I should have learned to reload.

Reloading won't help. Some primers are all but totally GONE! Especially the small pistol primers. I haven't seen them in MONTHS!!! Bullets are getting very expensive too. So far, powder isn't too bad but its a matter of time. Large primers are disappearing fast. I'm down to about 2000 Magnum primers and about 900 large primers, and 800 small primers. I guess when they're gone... they're gone.

FYI: You can't reload rimfire ammo.

Mark F 04-17-2009 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Eat your heart out Benning Boy... this is just my "plinking" ammo and it's 4 boxes deep. I have 5 times this amount in "REAL" ammo. And then there's my reload cabinet. Probably 30,000 rounds total.