Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Hk45 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/hk45-26050/)

ZackB 04-14-2010 09:06 AM

Hk45

I recently stumbled upon this sucker and find it actually quite appealing. From what I understand, it's essentially a more ergonomic version of the fabled USP. The one good thing for me is that it has reduced (however more pricey?) magazine capacity, bringing it to that 10+1 range which should make it NJ legal. I find it to be quite the sexy pistol if I do say so myself.

Anybody here own one and want to share their thoughts on it?

NGIB 04-14-2010 09:59 AM

While I haven't owned one of the new designs yet, I have had a couple of USPs through the years. They are very well built, very reliable and accurate, and very pricey. For me, they don't offer anything I can't get in a pistol that costs hundreds less - YMMV...

Mr. Bluesky 04-14-2010 01:38 PM

HK's have a great reputation. Some people say the grip isn't perfect, many say they're overpriced, but I've never seen anyone complain about the function. If you like it and you've got the money for it, there's no reason not to, IMO.

Missileman 04-14-2010 01:52 PM

HKs are my favorites--I think they have the best safety/decocker in the business. Some don't like the magazine release, but the HK45 has an extended version that is a little easier to use. I have never had a malfunction of any kind from any of my HKs, and they seem to be the most accurate pistols I have. Yes, they cost a little more, but I for one think they justify the added cost through quality, functionality, and accuracy.

IGETEVEN 04-14-2010 02:28 PM

Both the USP45 and the improved grip of the new HK45 are very fine guns indeed. Although both poly, I would have no problem as a bug for a 1911 if needed. They are pricey, but they have been proven reliable and are well built, quality, functioning, accurate .45's.

Personally, I would change out the trigger though and bring that heavy DA pull down to a smaller pound size. As mentioned, the extended mag release of the HK45, some have problems with. Overall, if you have the money, and you are not completely spoiled by 1911's and their short trigger pull, the HK45 is a excellent choice, for carry or competition, IMHO.

Jack

ZackB 04-18-2010 06:42 AM

If my memory serves me right, the USPs and HK45s come in serveral "versions." Over a half-dozen. I swear I remember seeing a varriant that removed the safety and only had a de-cocking lever, similar to the Sig pistols I know. They were versions 3 and 4 according to wikipedia. Whether they are available in civilan markets, I don't know, but I think I'd opt for a verison similar to a sig as I prefer that layout. Anyone know anything about the varriants?

Missileman 04-19-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackB (Post 271784)
If my memory serves me right, the USPs and HK45s come in serveral "versions." Over a half-dozen. I swear I remember seeing a varriant that removed the safety and only had a de-cocking lever, similar to the Sig pistols I know. They were versions 3 and 4 according to wikipedia. Whether they are available in civilan markets, I don't know, but I think I'd opt for a verison similar to a sig as I prefer that layout. Anyone know anything about the varriants?

Here's the USP Varients:
USP Variants:
Variant 1:
 Double action/single action with "SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety/decoking lever) on left side of frame.

Variant 2: 
Double action/single action with "SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety/decocking lever) on right side of frame.

Variant 3: 
Double action/single action without "SAFE” position. Control lever (decocking lever) on left side of frame.

Variant 4: 
Double action/single action without ”SAFE” position. Control lever (decocking lever) on right side of frame.

Variant 5: 
Double action only with ”SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety) on left side of frame.

Variant 6: 
Double action only with ”SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety) on right side of frame.

Variant 7: 
Double action without control lever (no manual safety/decocking lever)

Variant 8: 
Double action without control lever (no manual safety/decocking lever)
SPECIAL VARIANT FOR GOVERNMENT AGENCY

Variant 9: 
Double action/single action with control lever (manual safety/no decocking function) on left side of frame.

Variant 10: 
Double action/single action with control lever (manual safety/no decocking function) on right side of frame.

Varient 1 is what I prefer and have on all my HKs--I like it because you have the option of "cocked and locked" or hammer drop safe on or safe off, whatever you prefer.