Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > hiking in bear country

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

only 2 things in the world scare me women and grizzly bears and im not sure grizzly bear scare me

Old 06-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #12

If you want to carry a semi, the 10mm would be a good choice (in between .357 and .44mag power levels).

The tree huggers really like the small bells and pepper spray. Last I heard, they had a few tree huggers disappear. Funniest thing, bear scat around there had small bells in it and smelled of pepper.

If I could, I would probably opt for a Marlin "guide gun" in .45-70. Very compact, plenty of "whump", and a four shot mag. Get one in a stainless and you have a beautiful rifle.

Getting back to the handgun, a 5" 1911, stainless, and good holster would - not - leave you wishing for a larger pistol.

BN-Life - NRA
- NRA Certified Instructor -
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE!

Old 06-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
As a guy I used to guide with said, "All day my rifle feels too big and heavy, but when the sun goes down it feels too small".
So true, nice quote..

Luke 11:21
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I have a colt delta elite in 10mm. I do not own a high powered rifle yet, but i could borrow my friends ruger 77 in .270, i'm sure that would be better than a handgun but isn't that more of a big game(elk, mule deer, etc) rifle than a bear caliber like something in the .4 range?

i figured a warning shot might be a little scarier and louder than me trying to yell and be scary but i dont know if that is even advisable.
A .270 is plenty for Black Bear. I haven't found them to be super tough to kill. Some poeple even hunt them in the Lower 48 with 10mm handguns. Sometimes they can get pretty big and sometimes they can be aggressive, but overall, I wouldn't be hesitant in carrying a .357 Magnum, 10mm, .45 Long Colt, etc.. for Black Bear protection. Brown Bears might be a different story though...

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #15

I live, hunt, hike, camp in north western Montana and I usually carry a s&w .44 mag with me, but the .44 I have has a 8 3/8 inch barrel and is quite heavy and akward to carry for much distance. I'm considering right now purchasing a 10mm to carry instead of the .44.
Lots of people will argue all day about this. Half the population says the 10mm is enough, half the population says the .44 mag is the minimum to carry. I would think the 10mm would be plenty as long as you use common sense, and practice practice practice.
The best, biggest gun in the world doesn't do a thing if you can't draw and fire it quickly and accurately enough to do the job.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCgeek View Post
I live, hunt, hike, camp in north western Montana and I usually carry a s&w .44 mag with me, but the .44 I have has a 8 3/8 inch barrel and is quite heavy and akward to carry for much distance. I'm considering right now purchasing a 10mm to carry instead of the .44.
Lots of people will argue all day about this. Half the population says the 10mm is enough, half the population says the .44 mag is the minimum to carry. I would think the 10mm would be plenty as long as you use common sense, and practice practice practice.
The best, biggest gun in the world doesn't do a thing if you can't draw and fire it quickly and accurately enough to do the job.
I do a fair amount of hiking and backpacking and that is precisely why I opted for the 10mm. It is so much lighter and practical to carry. The reality is that a handgun in general is not the optimum defensive tool for bear protection as rifles and shotguns are far superior for that purpose. However, on my hikes, it is not practical to carry those so I have a can of UDAP to supplement my handgun choice.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
I do a fair amount of hiking and backpacking and that is precisely why I opted for the 10mm. It is so much lighter and practical to carry. The reality is that a handgun in general is not the optimum defensive tool for bear protection as rifles and shotguns are far superior for that purpose. However, on my hikes, it is not practical to carry those so I have a can of UDAP to supplement my handgun choice.
I think that is the direction I am heading. I really want a 10mm, but if I buy a .45 I can get free ammo for it. I'm also considering starting to carry UDAP as a first choice and relegating the pistol to backup.
I've had a few run ins with bears both black and grizzlies and like has been mentioned before as long as you use common sense you'll be fine. I've never been charged or threatened by a bear. Just have to respect them.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:49 AM   #18

well personally the only caliber id ever trust in bear country now that i have one is my 500 S&W with the 8 3/8". pushing 350 grain hornady xtp! i love when i see that bullet hit something!!! big boom with big distraction!

Old 06-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #19

Liked 124 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 212

well, this is all pretty encouraging news, as usual it seems like common sense is a significant underlying factor. Again i appreciate the responses, I think i'm going to bring it along, and at the very least i'll get accustomed to hiking around with the extra weight on the side in additon to the 35mm canon i haul around

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 06-22-2010, 04:53 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

If I am going to be out hiking when the bears are still trucking around, my Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag with 300 grain Hornady XTP loads is my only choice. I carry it in a comfortable shoulder rig and don't notice it even at the end of the day. I have carried it in a cross-draw in the past, but found the shoulder rig more comfortable.

And even then, I would really prefer not to meet up with a bear with a bad attitude.

The only time I would consider carrying a smaller handgun in that situation, I am also toting 30-06 or a shotgun loaded with slugs. But then I do value my hide and like it in one piece. JMHO

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Last edited by Thebiker; 06-22-2010 at 04:53 AM. Reason: duplicate signature