hiking in bear country
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > hiking in bear country

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Default handgun for hiking in bear country

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
But as for me the .44 mag usually rides, or the .357 with Grizzly's, Corbon or Buffalo Bore.
thats from the thread on the grizzly downed by a .45 acp...but you reference relying on a .357 mag, which is slightly comparable to a 10mm, maybe not enough hence my question:

if I were going to be hiking in bear country, mid to upper west montana, would a 1911 in 10mm be worthy of carrying just in case or should i just go with the bells and pepper spray and the Almighty Lord?

Last edited by Mack Bolan; 06-18-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

1911 in 10mm, bells, pepper spray, the Almighty Lord, and good sense to be aware of your surroundings.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bear Country

I carry the 10mm and a can of UDAP in Alaska. But for camping or being near the salmon streams, access to a rifle or shotgun is wise.

I would think this would easily apply to Montana as well.

Which 1911 do you carry in 10mm? Wilson Combat?

Luke 11:21
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The Lovely Miss Freefall just bought a 10mm Colt for woodswalking. I wouldn't feel helpless with it with full power loads. I personally carry my .44 because that's what I have and I can't afford a .475 Linebaugh.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

Dan Wesson C-Bob

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-19-2010, 01:00 AM   #6

This may sound a bit off but do you have a zoo near by you can go to and stand 40 feet or so away from a full grown Bear ?

Alot of folks aren't lucky enough to have a zoo in their city and never have and let me tell you when you do this after watching some of the nature films on Bears and you watch one toss a 200 lb + log or rock getting under it looking for bugs to eat and then see just how massive they are "FAce to face" so to speak you have a whole new perspective on them as preditors .
If you find yourself in the woods hunting and run across a bear track in the snow that is still coming down and know for a fact that bear is close by or it's prints would be gone even having a Rifle in you hands looks small when knowing how big and dangerous these animals can be .

Personally if I could carry an M1 Tank on my back for Bear protection I would !!

I would skip anything less than a 41 magnum and all handguns as other than a back up and have a rifle as handy as I could if knowingly going into Big Bear country .

Old 06-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

As a guy I used to guide with said, "All day my rifle feels too big and heavy, but when the sun goes down it feels too small".

Old 06-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #8

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
I carry the 10mm and a can of UDAP in Alaska. But for camping or being near the salmon streams, access to a rifle or shotgun is wise.

I would think this would easily apply to Montana as well.

Which 1911 do you carry in 10mm? Wilson Combat?
yeah, me too the last time i was there, at yellowtail dam, bighorn canyon area...we had a momma black bear with cubs that were tearing up some tents ( campers fault tho, they left food in an unattended tents ) ours never got touched. -being i'm going to be much farther north and west i'm pretty sure a sighting or encounter is as likely if not more.

I have a colt delta elite in 10mm. I do not own a high powered rifle yet, but i could borrow my friends ruger 77 in .270, i'm sure that would be better than a handgun but isn't that more of a big game(elk, mule deer, etc) rifle than a bear caliber like something in the .4 range?

i figured a warning shot might be a little scarier and louder than me trying to yell and be scary but i dont know if that is even advisable.

Quote:
This may sound a bit off but do you have a zoo near by you can go to and stand 40 feet or so away from a full grown Bear ?
yes...thats partly the reason for asking, a pistol seems like a novelty item to have for that size of animal but it could be loud enough to scare one off...or piss one off too

paying attention to the local reports and sightings will be first and foremost though.

I appreciate all the advice from everyone, thank you.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
thats from the thread on the grizzly downed by a .45 acp...but you reference relying on a .357 mag, which is slightly comparable to a 10mm, maybe not enough hence my question:

if I were going to be hiking in bear country, mid to upper west montana, would a 1911 in 10mm be worthy of carrying just in case or should i just go with the bells and pepper spray and the Almighty Lord?

I don't think he was talking about his 357 for grizzly bears but the name of ammo he uses.

Results for Grizzly Cartridge

It's hard cast, heavy rounds.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I picked a 1/2 quart of raspberries this morning. Saw a black bear at one end of the fence line, he (she?) saw me too. The bear picked at its end, and I stayed on mine. It looked kind of young, maybe 150 pounds or so. About 60 yards distance between us. I was wearing a New Service, so I wasn't too worried (but did keep one eye on it). When I decided I had enough berries I went back in the house.

My point is 80 - 95% of the time, if you ain't doing something to scare or bother it, it is a fairly peaceful encounter.