Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   hiking in bear country (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/hiking-bear-country-28488/)

Mack Bolan 06-18-2010 08:20 PM

handgun for hiking in bear country

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggsbakes (Post 293936)
But as for me the .44 mag usually rides, or the .357 with Grizzly's, Corbon or Buffalo Bore. :)

thats from the thread on the grizzly downed by a .45 acp...but you reference relying on a .357 mag, which is slightly comparable to a 10mm, maybe not enough hence my question:

if I were going to be hiking in bear country, mid to upper west montana, would a 1911 in 10mm be worthy of carrying just in case or should i just go with the bells and pepper spray and the Almighty Lord?

danf_fl 06-18-2010 09:48 PM

1911 in 10mm, bells, pepper spray, the Almighty Lord, and good sense to be aware of your surroundings.

Flintlock 06-18-2010 11:35 PM

Bear Country

I carry the 10mm and a can of UDAP in Alaska. But for camping or being near the salmon streams, access to a rifle or shotgun is wise.

I would think this would easily apply to Montana as well.

Which 1911 do you carry in 10mm? Wilson Combat?

freefall 06-19-2010 12:26 AM

The Lovely Miss Freefall just bought a 10mm Colt for woodswalking. I wouldn't feel helpless with it with full power loads. I personally carry my .44 because that's what I have and I can't afford a .475 Linebaugh.

danf_fl 06-19-2010 12:32 AM

Dan Wesson C-Bob

BigO01 06-19-2010 01:00 AM

This may sound a bit off but do you have a zoo near by you can go to and stand 40 feet or so away from a full grown Bear ?

Alot of folks aren't lucky enough to have a zoo in their city and never have and let me tell you when you do this after watching some of the nature films on Bears and you watch one toss a 200 lb + log or rock getting under it looking for bugs to eat and then see just how massive they are "FAce to face" so to speak you have a whole new perspective on them as preditors .
If you find yourself in the woods hunting and run across a bear track in the snow that is still coming down and know for a fact that bear is close by or it's prints would be gone even having a Rifle in you hands looks small when knowing how big and dangerous these animals can be .

Personally if I could carry an M1 Tank on my back for Bear protection I would !!

I would skip anything less than a 41 magnum and all handguns as other than a back up and have a rifle as handy as I could if knowingly going into Big Bear country .

freefall 06-19-2010 05:50 AM

As a guy I used to guide with said, "All day my rifle feels too big and heavy, but when the sun goes down it feels too small".

Mack Bolan 06-19-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flintlock (Post 302386)
I carry the 10mm and a can of UDAP in Alaska. But for camping or being near the salmon streams, access to a rifle or shotgun is wise.

I would think this would easily apply to Montana as well.

Which 1911 do you carry in 10mm? Wilson Combat?

yeah, me too the last time i was there, at yellowtail dam, bighorn canyon area...we had a momma black bear with cubs that were tearing up some tents ( campers fault tho, they left food in an unattended tents ) ours never got touched. -being i'm going to be much farther north and west i'm pretty sure a sighting or encounter is as likely if not more.

I have a colt delta elite in 10mm. I do not own a high powered rifle yet, but i could borrow my friends ruger 77 in .270, i'm sure that would be better than a handgun but isn't that more of a big game(elk, mule deer, etc) rifle than a bear caliber like something in the .4 range?

i figured a warning shot might be a little scarier and louder than me trying to yell and be scary but i dont know if that is even advisable.

Quote:

This may sound a bit off but do you have a zoo near by you can go to and stand 40 feet or so away from a full grown Bear ?
yes...thats partly the reason for asking, a pistol seems like a novelty item to have for that size of animal but it could be loud enough to scare one off...or piss one off too:eek:

paying attention to the local reports and sightings will be first and foremost though.

I appreciate all the advice from everyone, thank you.

spittinfire 06-19-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack Bolan (Post 302274)
thats from the thread on the grizzly downed by a .45 acp...but you reference relying on a .357 mag, which is slightly comparable to a 10mm, maybe not enough hence my question:

if I were going to be hiking in bear country, mid to upper west montana, would a 1911 in 10mm be worthy of carrying just in case or should i just go with the bells and pepper spray and the Almighty Lord?

I don't think he was talking about his 357 for grizzly bears but the name of ammo he uses.

Results for Grizzly Cartridge

It's hard cast, heavy rounds.

superc 06-19-2010 08:00 PM

I picked a 1/2 quart of raspberries this morning. Saw a black bear at one end of the fence line, he (she?) saw me too. The bear picked at its end, and I stayed on mine. It looked kind of young, maybe 150 pounds or so. About 60 yards distance between us. I was wearing a New Service, so I wasn't too worried (but did keep one eye on it). When I decided I had enough berries I went back in the house.

My point is 80 - 95% of the time, if you ain't doing something to scare or bother it, it is a fairly peaceful encounter.