Hidden magazine capacity???

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hidden magazine capacity???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 05:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Hidden magazine capacity???

Was loading my magazines for my Sr9c tonight after giving it a thorough cleaning and noticed that each magazine, my compact and full size, each could hold one more round than Ruger says they should be able to! Pretty surprising... The compact mag is only supposed to do 10 +1, and the full size is only supposed to do 17 +1. In reality, I could carry 11 +1 and 18 +1 if I wanted!!

Has anyone else noticed that, and if so do you think its bad for the mag springs?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2014, 05:44 AM   #2
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3356 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Don't have a 9C, but did and, still do have the Full sized SR9 and several 17 rounders. None will take an 18th round .

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 06-14-2014 at 05:46 AM.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:50 AM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Mine do. Wonder why... Want me to record it for proof? All I'm really wondering is if its bad to do or not. I'm completely compressing the mag springs, so I'm curious to know if I'm prematurely wearing them out if I do.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3356 Times on 2270 Posts

Not nec. Are your mags made in Italy or the US? I have two LC9 mags made in Italy that I can fit an extra round in but it damages the spring....
I have. 6-SR9 mags, all made in USA. I have 8 LC9 mags(5 7rd & 3 9rd) and two of them have a higher "Sheen" to the paint, and are black, but very bright stainless under the glossy black, and both made in Italy, and both could be "8's" if I took off the mag base and lowered the Spring by a bit. I just don't feel like short feeding" or coiling the spring just to get an extra round in the mag when I have others ...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 06-14-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 06-14-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1335 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 612

CBH,

As Bill pointed out, many manufacturers "farm out" their magazine manufacturing to other companies in other countries. As a consequence of this, the magazines are not always made exactly to manufacturer specifications and a short magazine stop may allow you to squeeze an extra round, or sometimes even two, into the magazine. However, these extra rounds can compress the magazine spring more than recommended by the original firearm manufacturer. It has been debated on this forum and elsewhere that doing this may cause the magazine springs to fail sooner than expected. If you choose to load the extra rounds and store them long term in this condition, you may want to check the springs a couple of times a year to make sure they still feed all rounds properly. The springs should last for many years, but you always want to make sure your firearm functions correctly on a regular basis, especially if pushing it beyond manufacturer limits.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

CBH_SR9c Likes This 
Old 06-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #6

Liked 1077 Times on 716 Posts

Quote:
As a consequence of this, the magazines are not always made exactly to manufacturer specifications
When I worked in manufacturing, doing this would usually get you a rejection. Which is a very expensive experience. Unless Ruger or whoever else is being vague on purpose, and saying "Just make something that works, I guess", there should be no room for "adjusting" anything.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2025 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Mossberg shotgun magazines will hold an extra round. I tell my hunting buddies using that extra shot during the hunt is OK but don't leave that extra shot in the magazine long term. The same logic would apply to pistol magazines.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3055 Times on 1757 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Another thought is that by compressing another round in, one could deform the lips of the magazine leading to problems.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, i use the manufacters specs for such things. they use put a specific number on the rounds a mag holds for a reason. just because you can force another round more than specs say, doesn't mean you should.

the springs, followers and feed lips were designed by people who do such things everyday, and those parts were designed to work in specific manner, to make the gun reliable and to feed properly. there is usually good reason to believe that they put a specific number on the magazine capacity for a reason.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #10

Liked 108 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Mossberg shotgun magazines will hold an extra round. I tell my hunting buddies using that extra shot during the hunt is OK but don't leave that extra shot in the magazine long term. The same logic would apply to pistol magazines.
Strange, my Mossberg shotgun fits the exact number specified by the manufacturer and not one more.