hi point pistols - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > hi point pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I to have also came very close to getting a high point, out of all the gun shops with in 100 miles only 1 shop sells them so i jump in my car speed on down there very very happy to pick up a C 9 as a beater gun, get there, first i see the price $219 + tax... a little over the MSRP, then i see the gun, the paint on the sights is worn almost all off, the plastic had bubbles in it and the gun had strings hanging every which way off of it and the slide was crunchy when pulled to the rear, ill wait untill i can get one for the MSRP or less.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:40 AM   #22

Liked 2005 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

I agree about S & W being a better name. But you can buy 4 high points for the price of a lot of S & W s.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #23

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I agree about S & W being a better name. But you can buy 4 high points for the price of a lot of S & W s.
There was a time when I used to do the same. I had to have as many guns as I could get my hands on. But now I'd much rather have fewer guns of higher quality. I would happily buy one Smith over however many Hi Points.

The big question is what happens when you get tired of the 4 Hi Points and want to sell or trade them for something else? If your area is anything like mine, it's about like trying to sell a ketchup Popsicle to a woman in white gloves. People around here can't even give their Hi Points away. Local classifieds are covered up with them and nobody is buying. But I'm just trying to pass along a little knowledge I've learned along the way. And you know what they say about free advice...

Old 08-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #24

Liked 2117 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Again, you're not saying you have any actual experience with Hi-Points. No they're not collecters. They're shooters. No more no less. They're great guns, make good truck, bedside, fishing, or all around dependable, go to heavy duty personal protection guns.
They can't be beat for the price. They are reliable and accurate weapons. I actually defy you to name any other handgun in it's price range that will give you the power and reliable service a Hi-Point will.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #25

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
Again, you're not saying you have any actual experience with Hi-Points. No they're not collecters. They're shooters. No more no less. They're great guns, make good truck, bedside, fishing, or all around dependable, go to heavy duty personal protection guns.
They can't be beat for the price. They are reliable and accurate weapons. I actually defy you to name any other handgun in it's price range that will give you the power and reliable service a Hi-Point will.

I don't need to sniff a turd to know it stinks. But I haven't made any statements about the function of the gun. It seems you've already formed an opinion of them. You like them. I don't. No big deal. I'm not going to convince you not to like them and you're not going to convince me to like them. No point in continuing to go around and around.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
I don't need to sniff a turd to know it stinks.
HAHAHA!!!! That was funny!

I don't care for hi-points, but they do offer a guy a chance at getting a gun for cheap. Those who have been in tight money situations (pretty much all of us) can appreciate that atleast.
If they made them less bulky, lighter, and not so friggin butt ugly I would consider buying one.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #27

I have given those Hi-Point .45 ACPs in the gun shop case a good look over from time to time.

Wish I'd never bought that Cobra derringer and had bought the Hi-Point instead I'd be about $30 ahead.

The Cobra's owners manual says never dry fire the pistol and don't carry or store the gun loaded(Que Es Esto???).

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #28

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
There was a time when I used to do the same. I had to have as many guns as I could get my hands on. But now I'd much rather have fewer guns of higher quality. I would happily buy one Smith over however many Hi Points.

The big question is what happens when you get tired of the 4 Hi Points and want to sell or trade them for something else? If your area is anything like mine, it's about like trying to sell a ketchup Popsicle to a woman in white gloves. People around here can't even give their Hi Points away. Local classifieds are covered up with them and nobody is buying. But I'm just trying to pass along a little knowledge I've learned along the way. And you know what they say about free advice...
Actually that is a good point because there are guns out there that have a very poor track record with trade-in or resale value. The way I look at it is, true if you buy a Hi-Point and you get sick of it you are out the money (let's say about $160) because they are difficult to unload BUT guess what, if you bought a new Glock and got sick of it you are going to get smaked for a few hunderd $$$s when you trade or sell anyway. Unless you are buying VERY high end guns, collectibles or buying at wholesale prices and holding them for a long time, for the most part buying guns to sell or trade is a money loosing proposition.

Now I should say I do NOT own a Hi-Point. But based on Scott's experience with his test piece and others close to me that I trust, if my total budget was in the Hi-Point neighborhood and I needed a decent gun with a good CS reputation I would not have a problem giving them my money.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #29

Liked 2005 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

Um, I would not buy 4 highpoints. I was simply making a price comparison. I currently own 4 Smith and Wessons. But I do not turn my nose up at High Point. They are a very good gun for the money.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #30

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

The #1 off duty carry piece here in Manchester NH is a highpoint. Widlife Taxidermy sold 80 last year, 2 came back. 1 had a bad magazine, the other was a barrel issue, it was not crowned correctly, both were replaced free of charge. $169.00 is there sell price. Hmmmm

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.