Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Handgun Discussion (
-   -   Hi Point C9 (

hareebrownbeest 09-20-2012 12:18 AM

Hi Point C9
Got my eye on one this Friday at a Turners that's having it's grand opening. $159. Can't go wrong. I've been doing research on them and so far the goods out weigh the bads. Anyone here have any input or first hand experience with them?

JD1969 09-20-2012 12:25 PM

Do a quick search, Hi Points have been talked about a great deal on here. I have shot the .45 version and while it did go bang and was somewhat accurate, I found it to be uncomfortable, bulky and ugly. IMO if all you have is $150 and you need a handgun NOW, get the Hi Point, if you can afford to wait and save up, get something nicer. They do make nice truck/boat guns.

hareebrownbeest 09-20-2012 04:25 PM

I'm in no real hurry but would like something for that "just in case". I'm more into rifles, never owned a handgun before so I thought this might be a good entry level. Did carry a Sig .40 in the Sheriff academy and learned how to use it, year it down, clean it properly, etc. that was a nice pistol but very expensive (for my budget).

JD1969 09-20-2012 04:33 PM

It all boils down to what you want the gun for. For range use/home defense a Hi Point is fine, but again it's not going to feel as nice (that's subjective I know) as a more expensive gun. There are a ton of nice semi autos in the $300-400 range. Get to a shop and start checking them out. The best gun for you is the one that feels the best in your hand and that you shoot the best.

hareebrownbeest 09-20-2012 04:43 PM

Thanks I will check some out.

Palms 09-20-2012 10:14 PM

Have to add: owned Colt and Glock. Have HiPoint 9 and 45. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and, as an actual owner that regularly shoots both, I fail to see the much-used "ugly" term. They're amongst the cheapest center-fires out there. They're aceptable range guns. For accurracy I prefer a reasonably priced Hammerli 22 Trailside. Truth is nothing to complain about. Extra weight and heft helps perceived recoil. Not very unconcealable if that's your goal but, truly most owners like myself, to spite the haters, would and do recommend them for what they are. Calling them junk, especially with their warranty and service, especially from anon-owner, is a disservice to our community. Have there been problems? Sure. But also their great majority have been resolved. Got nothing good to say? Move on!

hareebrownbeest 09-20-2012 10:25 PM

Thanks that's what I want to hear, some actual owners perspectives and from all the searching I've done I am pretty sold on this gun. I don't care about looks or concealment, I just want something low maintenance, accurate and reliable. Oh and cheap;)

tshoot91 09-20-2012 10:38 PM

I own two c9's. My advice would be to try to get your hands on a used one, with a nice price break.

Oblivion9 09-21-2012 08:38 AM

C9s are excellent value for the price. Great lifetime warranty that follows the gun not the owner. Very accurate
Mine eats everything but steel cased ammo once I worked the magazine springs in.

They are a pain to take down and as a result I had 1000 rounds through before I did for the first time.

Cons. Heavy , 8 rounds for a gun the size if a glock 19. Very stiff safety and not everyone who owns one feels comfortable keeping a round chambered. I don't.

Old_Crow 09-21-2012 06:28 PM

If you hold a glock, a hi point and a porter cable drill side by side you would think they all came from the same place. There is nothing wrong with the hi point. they are hard to carry but they shoot just fine. I have had the pleasure of shooting a bunch of them. they are difficult to clean. many people can't reassemble them. I help them out and shoot up the rest of their ammo testing the beast.