hi point 9 or s&w 9 - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

hi point 9 or s&w 9


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Default

This one was just posted locally and it's in the OP's city...

Central Georgia S&W 9mm VE
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ehfudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: salem,ohio
Posts: 8
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

my local gunshop has hi point 9 for 121.00 plus tax. thats all i can add.
ehfudd is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
diggsbakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pueblo,Colorado
Posts: 1,680
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyd View Post
ok every price i get is not far under retail so i can get a new sigma for 300 or used for 270 im jus need sum opinion would apprrciate the help
The Sigma is a fine choice for a personal defense weapon, however it seems like you jumped at the first thing that came up as a suggestion.

Do yourself a favor and make sure this is the model of weapon (gun) that fits you. Since budget is an issue, you may not get another gun for a while (I hope you do though ) and you want to be really happy with your selection.

Are you sure you want a semi-auto? I must do my duty and strongly recommend ANY first time gun owner to start with a center-fire (usually .357/.38 special). They provide the versatility of a home/personal defense gun (loaded with proper light, frangible hollow points), a mountain/hiking/camping, outdoors/bear defense gun (hard cast heavy loads) and a cheap fun target gun w`/ .38s ($14/box of FMJs)

I know many of you are sick of hearing the above. . .I'm also sick of writing it. . . sooooo I'm just gonna write out a word file with all my "Every Man's First Handgun Should be a .357" arguments and save it for quick, easy installation.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
diggsbakes is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WoodysKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Louisville,Kentucky
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Are you sure you want a semi-auto? I must do my duty and strongly recommend ANY first time gun owner to start with a center-fire (usually .357/.38 special). They provide the versatility of a home/personal defense gun (loaded with proper light, frangible hollow points), a mountain/hiking/camping, outdoors/bear defense gun (hard cast heavy loads) and a cheap fun target gun w`/ .38s ($14/box of FMJs)

I know many of you are sick of hearing the above. . .I'm also sick of writing it. . . sooooo I'm just gonna write out a word file with all my "Every Man's First Handgun Should be a .357" arguments and save it for quick, easy installation.
I don't see this as bad advice at all. I agree. You will do yourself a great service by making your dollars go further and being safer as you learn about firearms by starting with a good wheel gun.

They are time proven, field tested, accurate and you tend to get more bang for your buck. I started carrying a S7W 636 bodyguard special. A airweight shrouded hammer .38 sp with CT laser grips in an ankle holster. VERY lightweight, concealable and very effective. I have since moved to semis for carry guns but still use the ankle rig when needed.
WoodysKJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Albuquerque,New Mexico
Posts: 138
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
The Sigma is a fine choice for a personal defense weapon, however it seems like you jumped at the first thing that came up as a suggestion.

Do yourself a favor and make sure this is the model of weapon (gun) that fits you. Since budget is an issue, you may not get another gun for a while (I hope you do though ) and you want to be really happy with your selection.

Are you sure you want a semi-auto? I must do my duty and strongly recommend ANY first time gun owner to start with a center-fire (usually .357/.38 special). They provide the versatility of a home/personal defense gun (loaded with proper light, frangible hollow points), a mountain/hiking/camping, outdoors/bear defense gun (hard cast heavy loads) and a cheap fun target gun w`/ .38s ($14/box of FMJs)

I know many of you are sick of hearing the above. . .I'm also sick of writing it. . . sooooo I'm just gonna write out a word file with all my "Every Man's First Handgun Should be a .357" arguments and save it for quick, easy installation.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
Actually, despite the fact I've never cared for revolvers, this is pretty sound advice. The .357 is a time proven, effective self defense round and the .38 is a cheap target round.. Not to mention, revolvers never jam, and they can fire any level or load power that you want. And, from what I'm to understand, they are very easy to clean.If I enjoyed shooting them more, I would probably own a few.
Tidalforce79 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WoodysKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Louisville,Kentucky
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidalforce79 View Post
Actually, despite the fact I've never cared for revolvers, this is pretty sound advice. The .357 is a time proven, effective self defense round and the .38 is a cheap target round.. Not to mention, revolvers never jam, and they can fire any level or load power that you want. And, from what I'm to understand, they are very easy to clean.If I enjoyed shooting them more, I would probably own a few.
The other small fact is the time tested saying about ANY semi auto!

"If you want a gun that will go BANG every time you pull the trigger, buy a revolver or buy a Glock."

I agree with this totally. I have NEVER seen a Glock jam or miss-fire. But it is a Semi Auto and it is possible. A good Wheel gun however is almost always gonna fire.

I have seen a wheel gun jam. the Model 19 S&w is a .357 built on a .38 frame and was prone to stress on the frame due to over powered loads. I know of one personally that froze solid with 3 rounds still in the cylinder. They guy who carried it as a SD gun while he worked graveyard shift at a 24 hr. service station back in the 80's, would never admit it was essentially a club. still carried it locked up.
WoodysKJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
The other small fact is the time tested saying about ANY semi auto!

"If you want a gun that will go BANG every time you pull the trigger, buy a revolver or buy a Glock."

I agree with this totally. I have NEVER seen a Glock jam or miss-fire. But it is a Semi Auto and it is possible. A good Wheel gun however is almost always gonna fire.

I have seen a wheel gun jam. the Model 19 S&w is a .357 built on a .38 frame and was prone to stress on the frame due to over powered loads. I know of one personally that froze solid with 3 rounds still in the cylinder. They guy who carried it as a SD gun while he worked graveyard shift at a 24 hr. service station back in the 80's, would never admit it was essentially a club. still carried it locked up.
If anyone limp wristed my glock 26 it would jam every time(demonstrated by my Girlfriend).
wb_carpenter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WoodysKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Louisville,Kentucky
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
If anyone limp wristed my glock 26 it would jam every time(demonstrated by my Girlfriend).
That's not the gun's fault. I can recommend some great wrist strengthening exercises for her, bet you would like em too..... sorry i could not resist.
WoodysKJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
That's not the gun's fault. I can recommend some great wrist strengthening exercises for her, bet you would like em too..... sorry i could not resist.
My M&P doesn't jam when she shoots it .. I've been working on it and shes actually a great shot just the 26 seemed to be sensitive to it. Glocks aren't guaranteed to feed everytime(ask some people who own 4th gen glocks) IMO no gun is and should be tested for every shooting situation.
wb_carpenter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:51 AM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: macon,ga
Posts: 8
Default

ok got the sw 9 brand new with 2 mags and everything in the box. i also got 50 steel luger fmj 115 grain. total was about 326 and some change. i have took it apart but it looks kind of dusty. over all i love the gun and will start shooting monday thanks for all the help.
codyd is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Hi-Point - do you own one ? krazykeny Semi-Auto Handguns 25 02-02-2011 04:46 AM
Hi-Point duffydog Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 54 08-24-2010 02:43 AM
Hi Point User Name Semi-Auto Handguns 24 11-21-2009 03:46 AM
Hi Point ghostndawoodz General Handgun Discussion 14 07-24-2009 04:57 PM
what kind of rifle sling is this - 2 point? 3 point? lowead Firearm Accessories & Gear 3 10-17-2008 10:02 PM



Newest Threads