hi point 9 or s&w 9 - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

hi point 9 or s&w 9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

This one was just posted locally and it's in the OP's city...

Central Georgia S&W 9mm VE

Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my local gunshop has hi point 9 for 121.00 plus tax. thats all i can add.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #33

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyd View Post
ok every price i get is not far under retail so i can get a new sigma for 300 or used for 270 im jus need sum opinion would apprrciate the help
The Sigma is a fine choice for a personal defense weapon, however it seems like you jumped at the first thing that came up as a suggestion.

Do yourself a favor and make sure this is the model of weapon (gun) that fits you. Since budget is an issue, you may not get another gun for a while (I hope you do though ) and you want to be really happy with your selection.

Are you sure you want a semi-auto? I must do my duty and strongly recommend ANY first time gun owner to start with a center-fire (usually .357/.38 special). They provide the versatility of a home/personal defense gun (loaded with proper light, frangible hollow points), a mountain/hiking/camping, outdoors/bear defense gun (hard cast heavy loads) and a cheap fun target gun w`/ .38s ($14/box of FMJs)

I know many of you are sick of hearing the above. . .I'm also sick of writing it. . . sooooo I'm just gonna write out a word file with all my "Every Man's First Handgun Should be a .357" arguments and save it for quick, easy installation.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Old 10-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Are you sure you want a semi-auto? I must do my duty and strongly recommend ANY first time gun owner to start with a center-fire (usually .357/.38 special). They provide the versatility of a home/personal defense gun (loaded with proper light, frangible hollow points), a mountain/hiking/camping, outdoors/bear defense gun (hard cast heavy loads) and a cheap fun target gun w`/ .38s ($14/box of FMJs)

I know many of you are sick of hearing the above. . .I'm also sick of writing it. . . sooooo I'm just gonna write out a word file with all my "Every Man's First Handgun Should be a .357" arguments and save it for quick, easy installation.
I don't see this as bad advice at all. I agree. You will do yourself a great service by making your dollars go further and being safer as you learn about firearms by starting with a good wheel gun.

They are time proven, field tested, accurate and you tend to get more bang for your buck. I started carrying a S7W 636 bodyguard special. A airweight shrouded hammer .38 sp with CT laser grips in an ankle holster. VERY lightweight, concealable and very effective. I have since moved to semis for carry guns but still use the ankle rig when needed.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #35

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
The Sigma is a fine choice for a personal defense weapon, however it seems like you jumped at the first thing that came up as a suggestion.

Do yourself a favor and make sure this is the model of weapon (gun) that fits you. Since budget is an issue, you may not get another gun for a while (I hope you do though ) and you want to be really happy with your selection.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
Actually, despite the fact I've never cared for revolvers, this is pretty sound advice. The .357 is a time proven, effective self defense round and the .38 is a cheap target round.. Not to mention, revolvers never jam, and they can fire any level or load power that you want. And, from what I'm to understand, they are very easy to clean.If I enjoyed shooting them more, I would probably own a few.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidalforce79 View Post
Actually, despite the fact I've never cared for revolvers, this is pretty sound advice. The .357 is a time proven, effective self defense round and the .38 is a cheap target round.. Not to mention, revolvers never jam, and they can fire any level or load power that you want. And, from what I'm to understand, they are very easy to clean.If I enjoyed shooting them more, I would probably own a few.
The other small fact is the time tested saying about ANY semi auto!

"If you want a gun that will go BANG every time you pull the trigger, buy a revolver or buy a Glock."

I agree with this totally. I have NEVER seen a Glock jam or miss-fire. But it is a Semi Auto and it is possible. A good Wheel gun however is almost always gonna fire.

I have seen a wheel gun jam. the Model 19 S&w is a .357 built on a .38 frame and was prone to stress on the frame due to over powered loads. I know of one personally that froze solid with 3 rounds still in the cylinder. They guy who carried it as a SD gun while he worked graveyard shift at a 24 hr. service station back in the 80's, would never admit it was essentially a club. still carried it locked up.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
The other small fact is the time tested saying about ANY semi auto!

"If you want a gun that will go BANG every time you pull the trigger, buy a revolver or buy a Glock."

I agree with this totally. I have NEVER seen a Glock jam or miss-fire. But it is a Semi Auto and it is possible. A good Wheel gun however is almost always gonna fire.

I have seen a wheel gun jam. the Model 19 S&w is a .357 built on a .38 frame and was prone to stress on the frame due to over powered loads. I know of one personally that froze solid with 3 rounds still in the cylinder. They guy who carried it as a SD gun while he worked graveyard shift at a 24 hr. service station back in the 80's, would never admit it was essentially a club. still carried it locked up.
If anyone limp wristed my glock 26 it would jam every time(demonstrated by my Girlfriend).

Old 10-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
If anyone limp wristed my glock 26 it would jam every time(demonstrated by my Girlfriend).
That's not the gun's fault. I can recommend some great wrist strengthening exercises for her, bet you would like em too..... sorry i could not resist.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
That's not the gun's fault. I can recommend some great wrist strengthening exercises for her, bet you would like em too..... sorry i could not resist.
My M&P doesn't jam when she shoots it .. I've been working on it and shes actually a great shot just the 26 seemed to be sensitive to it. Glocks aren't guaranteed to feed everytime(ask some people who own 4th gen glocks) IMO no gun is and should be tested for every shooting situation.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:51 AM   #40

ok got the sw 9 brand new with 2 mags and everything in the box. i also got 50 steel luger fmj 115 grain. total was about 326 and some change. i have took it apart but it looks kind of dusty. over all i love the gun and will start shooting monday thanks for all the help.