Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > hi point

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default hi point

Does any one know about these guns? Are they good well made? My friend gave me a 9mm high point and I just wanted to know about it thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #2

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

they're cheap, I know that much. buddy of mine had one in a .380 that he bought for like $100. It felt odd to shoot, the thing was really top heavy and the recoil was just...odd feeling.

that's the best I can describe it as. odd.

I only put about 50 rounds through it, so I can't really comment on longevity, ease of maintenance, etc.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We have a thread About hi-points. I own the 9mm c9. Great gun. Had it a few years, few thousand rounds. No issues. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/just-bought-hi-point-47732/

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 10-19-2011, 04:39 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 27

For an emergency gun that won't otherwise be used, a Hi-Point will probably do the trick. I think you could make a pretty good case that they're a bargain relative to their price.

But if you intend to be an active shooter and develop your skills and habits, I think you're best off doing so on a better platform. There are some really good options to be had for $250-550.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:50 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22
For an emergency gun that won't otherwise be used, a Hi-Point will probably do the trick. I think you could make a pretty good case that they're a bargain relative to their price.

But if you intend to be an active shooter and develop your skills and habits, I think you're best off doing so on a better platform. There are some really good options to be had for $250-550.
Im not doubting you're thought on this but, the hi-point was my first handgun and I practiced with it for 2 years before moving on. You are right about it being an emergency gun.. its definitely not a carry weapon. Another big issue is field stripping, if you want a cheap "disposable" gun..HP is the way to go but, if you are really going to spend some time with this as a hobby or a sport, Then Sweeper is right.. get something else. I also have a Taurus pt111 9mm. Nice accurate,reliable,concealable and easy to take down...not too mention under $350.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 10-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Welcome to the forum. Stop by the "Introductions" area and start a new thread there by saying "Hello".

I do not know how much experience you have, but I'm guessing not much.

I suggest that you get with someone who can look over the gun (for possible safety issues). You never know if everything functions as it should.

Also, get a little training on firearms usage.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 10-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19521 Times on 11080 Posts
Likes Given: 49156

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanch View Post
Does any one know about these guns? Are they good well made? My friend gave me a 9mm high point and I just wanted to know about it thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Welcome to the forum. Stop by the "Introductions" area and start a new thread there by saying "Hello".

I do not know how much experience you have, but I'm guessing not much.

I suggest that you get with someone who can look over the gun (for possible safety issues). You never know if everything functions as it should.

Also, get a little training on firearms usage.
what dan said. get a gunsmith to check it out. if you are looking for a cheap gun to keep in the trunk, or toolbox on your truck, this would be it. decent gun at a very decent price. but get someone to check it out and make sure it's safe to shoot first. and why did your friend just give you a gun? might want to make sure it's not stolen. a stolen gun could cause you lots of problems and grief. just saying, CYA!

Old 10-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #8

Liked 1682 Times on 1085 Posts
Likes Given: 856

Oh boy! Here we go.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #9

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I used to have a high point in .40 S&W, it was 200 bucks brand new. They are big and bulky and totally uncarry worthy, lol. It shot fmj rounds good but wouldnt chamber hollow points , i just used it to plink around. I ended up trading it to my wifes uncle for a remington 870 express magnum

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-20-2011, 01:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanch
I just want to say you usually get what you pay for,but as all firarms you must keep them up and always check them.hi point are decent hanguns for the budget,a little different to field strip but can provide when needed,not the prettiest gun but they work