Heritage Rough Rider 22cal. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Heritage Rough Rider 22cal.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 12:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1420 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
Having received & printed out your photos, I can only think of one reason why a gun barrel would split like this & that is a Squib Load. Since 22 rimfire is not a caliber you can feasibly load yourself, do you know what ammo you were shooting when this happened? I would guess the ammo manufacturer is actually responsible for the damage that has occurred.
He said the first three shots hit the target.

The failure happened on the fourth shot. It couldn’t have been a squib.

Are the roughrider barrels forged or machined? This looks like the effect of impurity elements in the metal during the forging process. See how straight the crack is? And note how it runs through the fromt sight machined pocket? (Read: weak(ened) area)

Technically: To eliminate the anisotropic plasticity of columnar grains and the danger of cracking during forging, the process must be conducted within narrow temperature and deformation limits. These conditions, however, are not always applicable to the central equiaxed zone. Such an anisotropy leads to microcracks during upsetting of ingots and bars with traces of columnar structure.

My bet is a finite failure analysis would find a high concentration of sulfur, phosphorus, copper or tin in the make-up of the failed area (crack). Too bad a failure mode analysis would cost more than the barrel replacement, but from this engineer’s old eyes, you got a lemon.

That or it just done blowed up.
a_dumb_caveman_holding_a_club_0521-1005-1516-0141_smu.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-30-2011, 12:55 AM   #12

Liked 1420 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I just noticed you are from PA.

Did you shoot outside? How cold was it?

You didn't drop the gun in the snow after the three shots, did ya?

Just askin'.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I just noticed you are from PA.

Did you shoot outside? How cold was it?

You didn't drop the gun in the snow after the three shots, did ya?

Just askin'.
I shot soon as i got outside an i did not drop the gun . thanks for all the input .
Bill

Old 01-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My Antivirus did NOT like that first pic website - it blocked a threat.......

Later pic is very interesting - this is clearly a material failure, that Heritage SHOULD be paying for themselves! A plugged barrel would show bulging and different sort of splitting.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I went to www.heritagemfg.com

and hit the contact us button, and I briefly explained the problem to them, that you had with your gun. I would like to see them take care of your expense for replacing the barrel & if they won't I will be only too happy to never sell another one of their guns again. I sell quite a few of the cheaper lines of guns and I feel the same way about all of them, which is that they are all to have a full lifetime warranty, unless of course it can be proved that improperly reloaded ammo has been fired thru them. Obviously it would be a stretch on their part to say that a rimfire round had been improperly reloaded

Old 01-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
I went to www.heritagemfg.com

and hit the contact us button, and I briefly explained the problem to them, that you had with your gun. I would like to see them take care of your expense for replacing the barrel & if they won't I will be only too happy to never sell another one of their guns again. I sell quite a few of the cheaper lines of guns and I feel the same way about all of them, which is that they are all to have a full lifetime warranty, unless of course it can be proved that improperly reloaded ammo has been fired thru them. Obviously it would be a stretch on their part to say that a rimfire round had been improperly reloaded
Hey thanks i appreciate it a lot . I will definitely let you know what happens .They told me they did not care where i post the pics . I told them what i was going to do an they told me go ahead .It 's not the money its the principle.
Bill

Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Rutro! My younger nephew is considering one of their lil .22LR's. I had better refer him to this thread.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If they won't stand behind this as a warranty they probably won't stand behind a replacement barrel if it were defective, too.
You've convinced me to stay away from this manufacturer if they don't make it right.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassdawgbill View Post
Hey thanks i appreciate it a lot . I will definitely let you know what happens .They told me they did not care where i post the pics . I told them what i was going to do an they told me go ahead .It 's not the money its the principle.
Bill
Heritage e-mailed me back, they say they will look into the problem if you want to provide your name & the serial # of the gun. You are welcome to e-mail me the info, I would be happy to relay it to them.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #20

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Wow, and to think I was actually going to buy one of those
Guess i'll save up more and get a Single Six.