Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Here is something I wonder about

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
The .44 Mag pistol is a back up/emergency use weapon only. Usually, you would only employ this weapon if the bear is upon you and your rifle is dry.
Bingo, we have a winner! T'was I to ever hunt grizzly, I'd want a stout handgun as a close quarters backup myself...

Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #12

We are trying to plan a family vacation to yellowstone. When I asked them about bears they said not to pet them...srsly? no way I would have never thunk it. Then they suggested that I tie bells on my 2 year old and 5 year old. That was it. So bears apparently are terrified of jingle bells I'm all set.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
We are trying to plan a family vacation to yellowstone. When I asked them about bears they said not to pet them...srsly? no way I would have never thunk it. Then they suggested that I tie bells on my 2 year old and 5 year old. That was it. So bears apparently are terrified of jingle bells I'm all set.
The bears will leave ya alone. Just don't put them kids into any picnic baskets and carry them around or have them walk around with a half eaten bologna sandwich.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #14

That's awsome they said not to pet the bears. They wouldn't say it though if nobody haden't tried. I like the .44 mag, and I would love it as a side arm on bear hunting expeditions. But I think aside from the S&W s500 It's the handgun with the most stopping force. I think you just don't want anyting smaller than that. Bears don't respect .22s.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #15

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I think I would rather have a S&W Model 460.

And it shoots the .45 Long Colt, .454 Casull and the .460 S&W Magnum.

460-s-w3.jpg

The .460 S&W Magnum with Belt Mountain's Punch Bullet.

Over a ton of energy release sent down a free-floating, Lothar-Walther Custom German Rifle Barrel! (The 460 VXR Compensated Hunter)

I'm just sayin'.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^^

And if that doesn't work, you can stuff that pretty yellow case in the Bear's maw while you scoot your little ass down the road.

JD

Old 09-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #17

Wow I wonder why it doesn't come with bear tranquilizers? or a suicide capsul in case of bear mauling.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #18

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Cane, I would have to agree on your choice of handgun for bear defense. That 460 would no doubt, definitely do the job. But......I will leave it up to them bear hunters to find out, cause you ain't gonna catch this boy out there provoking one of them sonsofbitches to find out for sure. Besides, you better be propped up next to a tree when you fire off that damn short barreled cannon off with that.460 magnum cartridge in it, cause if your not, it will blow ya butt back into one.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #19

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Cane, I would have to agree on your choice of handgun for bear defense. That 460 would no doubt, definitely do the job. But......I will leave it up to them bear hunters to find out, cause you ain't gonna catch this boy out there provoking one of them sonsofbitches to find out for sure. Besides, you better be propped up next to a tree when you fire off that damn short barreled cannon off with that.460 magnum cartridge in it, cause if your not, it will blow ya butt back into one.

Jack
I think that's the idea. If you fire it in regular intervals it would work like a pulse jet! Five rounds and you're 100 yds from where the bear attack started!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #20

hmm that is a fantastic gun, I wonder if my hubby will believe that its absolutely essential