Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Here is something I wonder about

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Here is something I wonder about

Why is it that people are so confident in the 44 mag. handgun being able to stop a Grizzly, when a 30-30 Win., which has twice the velocity and muzzle energy is considered to be underpowered for Grizzly. Is carrying a 44 mag. handgun giving people a false sense of security?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2009, 03:42 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8382 Times on 3627 Posts

I know of NO handgun that will reliably (pay attention now, the key word was RELIABLY) plant a grizzly. I did kill a bear several years back with a 7.62 NATO FMJ- but it was fired from an M-60, along with it's 99 brothers that were in the assualt bag.

Here's a hint- if you are shooting something that is the size of a Chevy S-10 pickup, and has a bad temper, use all the gun you can get.

Of course, if you wait long enuff, the 44 Mag should stop the bear. When he chokes on the gun still clutched in your hand as he tries to swallow it.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2581 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 197

I would much rather have a .30-30 loaded with 170 gr soft points in bear country than any handgun. .41 mag is generally considered the bare minimum for self defense in bear country. I would carry heavy cast bullets and plan on putting all 6 into a bear. .44 mag is slightly more powerful than the .41, but I would still plan on putting 6 into a bear.

IMHO putting 5-6 .30 cal 170 grain soft points into a bear would be more effective.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
Why is it that people are so confident in the 44 mag. handgun being able to stop a Grizzly, when a 30-30 Win., which has twice the velocity and muzzle energy is considered to be underpowered for Grizzly. Is carrying a 44 mag. handgun giving people a false sense of security?
I think it is presumed that a .44 magnum handgun is and should be a secondary carry weapon along with your primary weapon, a large magnum rifle or slug 12 gauge. Most experienced hunters carry at least two, if not three, firearms, consisting of handguns and rifles. Hince the saying, "Loaded for bear."

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-31-2009, 10:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I know of NO handgun that will reliably (pay attention now, the key word was RELIABLY) plant a grizzly. I did kill a bear several years back with a 7.62 NATO FMJ- but it was fired from an M-60, along with it's 99 brothers that were in the assualt bag.

That doesnt sound very humane? Actually that sounds quite violent. Any purpose behind such overkill?

Old 09-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I grew up in Alaska, and spent a lot of my time in bear country (I like to camp). I will tell you that any Alaskan will laugh at you if you say you are using a .44 Magnum for bear protection.

The .44 Mag pistol is a back up/emergency use weapon only. Usually, you would only employ this weapon if the bear is upon you and your rifle is dry.

Using a .44 Magnum against a bear is like using a .22LR against a human. It'll work, but not as well as other calibers out there.

The 30-30 is marginal, but it'll work.

Keep in mind, that I'm talking about Grizzlies. Black Bears are a little smaller, so you have a little more freedom in your round of choice.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:26 AM   #8

Liked 1020 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 317

I only lived there a couple years but was told that Bears will be more scared of the sound of the firearm than of the impact the bullet has. I have no idea if that's true just what I was told.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8382 Times on 3627 Posts

Lupo- was not intended to be sporting. This was FAR back country, Alaska, LARGE grizzly with attitude, IN our camp- and just letting the bear have the camp was not an option- we needed what we had to live on for a couple of weeks before we would be extracted. And the M-60 was a MUCH better choice than the M-16s. And yes, we wanted to make DAMNED sure that one was dead.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:07 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

If I had to choose a handgun for the mighty grizzly bear it would be either the .460 or .500 magnum.