Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Here is something I wonder about (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/here-something-i-wonder-about-17546/)

Norwood 08-31-2009 03:37 PM

Here is something I wonder about

Why is it that people are so confident in the 44 mag. handgun being able to stop a Grizzly, when a 30-30 Win., which has twice the velocity and muzzle energy is considered to be underpowered for Grizzly. Is carrying a 44 mag. handgun giving people a false sense of security?

canebrake 08-31-2009 03:42 PM

"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

c3shooter 08-31-2009 05:07 PM

I know of NO handgun that will reliably (pay attention now, the key word was RELIABLY) plant a grizzly. I did kill a bear several years back with a 7.62 NATO FMJ- but it was fired from an M-60, along with it's 99 brothers that were in the assualt bag.

Here's a hint- if you are shooting something that is the size of a Chevy S-10 pickup, and has a bad temper, use all the gun you can get.

Of course, if you wait long enuff, the 44 Mag should stop the bear. When he chokes on the gun still clutched in your hand as he tries to swallow it. :eek:

robocop10mm 08-31-2009 07:42 PM

I would much rather have a .30-30 loaded with 170 gr soft points in bear country than any handgun. .41 mag is generally considered the bare minimum for self defense in bear country. I would carry heavy cast bullets and plan on putting all 6 into a bear. .44 mag is slightly more powerful than the .41, but I would still plan on putting 6 into a bear.

IMHO putting 5-6 .30 cal 170 grain soft points into a bear would be more effective.

IGETEVEN 08-31-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norwood (Post 153468)
Why is it that people are so confident in the 44 mag. handgun being able to stop a Grizzly, when a 30-30 Win., which has twice the velocity and muzzle energy is considered to be underpowered for Grizzly. Is carrying a 44 mag. handgun giving people a false sense of security?

I think it is presumed that a .44 magnum handgun is and should be a secondary carry weapon along with your primary weapon, a large magnum rifle or slug 12 gauge. Most experienced hunters carry at least two, if not three, firearms, consisting of handguns and rifles. Hince the saying, "Loaded for bear." ;)

Jack

Lupo 08-31-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 153500)
I know of NO handgun that will reliably (pay attention now, the key word was RELIABLY) plant a grizzly. I did kill a bear several years back with a 7.62 NATO FMJ- but it was fired from an M-60, along with it's 99 brothers that were in the assualt bag.

That doesnt sound very humane? Actually that sounds quite violent. Any purpose behind such overkill?

SGT-MILLER 09-01-2009 12:03 AM

I grew up in Alaska, and spent a lot of my time in bear country (I like to camp). I will tell you that any Alaskan will laugh at you if you say you are using a .44 Magnum for bear protection.

The .44 Mag pistol is a back up/emergency use weapon only. Usually, you would only employ this weapon if the bear is upon you and your rifle is dry.

Using a .44 Magnum against a bear is like using a .22LR against a human. It'll work, but not as well as other calibers out there.

The 30-30 is marginal, but it'll work.

Keep in mind, that I'm talking about Grizzlies. Black Bears are a little smaller, so you have a little more freedom in your round of choice.

Yunus 09-01-2009 12:26 AM

I only lived there a couple years but was told that Bears will be more scared of the sound of the firearm than of the impact the bullet has. I have no idea if that's true just what I was told.

c3shooter 09-01-2009 01:06 AM

Lupo- was not intended to be sporting. This was FAR back country, Alaska, LARGE grizzly with attitude, IN our camp- and just letting the bear have the camp was not an option- we needed what we had to live on for a couple of weeks before we would be extracted. And the M-60 was a MUCH better choice than the M-16s. And yes, we wanted to make DAMNED sure that one was dead.

Gojubrian 09-01-2009 07:07 AM

If I had to choose a handgun for the mighty grizzly bear it would be either the .460 or .500 magnum.