Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Here Comes the Taurus Judge!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
Chalk it up to being a rookie, but I cannot phathom one firearm shooting a bullet and buckshot. Plus the recoil must be a little painful. Any member have thoughts on this?
.410 shells don't pack that much of a whollup. That's why the bird shot shells are kind of a joke for defense. They were made for birds that have thin skin and hollow bones. Not saying a face full of birdshot would be fun, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it stopping a determined attacker.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #12

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

.410 shells don't pack that much of a whollup. That's why the bird shot shells are kind of a joke for defense. They were made for birds that have thin skin and hollow bones. Not saying a face full of birdshot would be fun, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it stopping a determined attacker.
Just ask Dick Cheney what it's like to shoot someone in the face with bird shot.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #13

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There was an article in one of the recent magazines regarding the bigger revolvers, or what some refer to as a hog leg, that is you shoot this particular size of revolvers could danger your wrist. The author is a doctor, and he had a picture of one of his patients going through surgery on his left wrist that showed the nerve in a bell or hourglass pattern. Wonder if the Judge or the Governor could put your wrist in this type of danger?

Old 11-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #14

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Wrist damage, if any,I'd going to come from shooting small light weight guns. If they made a titanium framed snub nose judge then maybe. Big guns are very good at absorbing recoil.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #15

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

One of the specific revolver he mentioned was the S&W 500. Not sure how this model compares to the Judge or Governor. Does anyone know what the differences would be?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #16

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
One of the specific revolver he mentioned was the S&W 500. Not sure how this model compares to the Judge or Governor. Does anyone know what the differences would be?
The difference is huge. I've fired both 45 LC and the .500. The .500 packs a big punch, particularly in the 4 inch version, however I feel fine shooting it with a proper grip but 50 rounds is about my limit. Then again my little 642 Airweight .32 hurts after 50 rounds of +p as well. The heavy weight of the .500 helps a lot. Also, the OP is nothing more than a spammer who cut and pasted the his post from somewhere else. It's funny how how he wrote like the Judge was kind new thing, its been out for years.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

Old 11-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2576 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Judge- Neither fish nor fowl. It's an awkward revolver using normal ammunition. Accuracy will suffer due to the length of the chambers. As a shotgun it's marginal beyond "across the room" distances. Oh and don't forget, you are getting the quality control and customer service that Taurus is renowned for . And to cap it all off, it's...well...ugly. Sorry no thanks. If one MUST buy a gun of this nature, get the S&W Governor. At least you stand a reasonable chance of losing the QC and CS issues.
.500 S&W vs a Judge? "OMIGOD WTF WAS THAT!?" vs. "Oh, how cute, a Judge."

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 11-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I bought a "JUDGE" several years ago for my wife. It's a great novelty item and conversation piece. Shooting it is fun for awhile buy you'l quickly get bored with it. Mine is still sitting in the safe. collecting dust....

4510.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
The difference is huge. I've fired both 45 LC and the .500. The .500 packs a big punch, particularly in the 4 inch version, however I feel fine shooting it with a proper grip but 50 rounds is about my limit. Then again my little 642 Airweight .32 hurts after 50 rounds of +p as well. The heavy weight of the .500 helps a lot. Also, the OP is nothing more than a spammer who cut and pasted the his post from somewhere else. It's funny how how he wrote like the Judge was kind new thing, its been out for years.
Yeah, it's been around for awhile... I totally FORGOT about that silly thing until I saw this thread! I even wondered if I even still had it? Normally, if I don't shoot it I trade it or sell it. Ho yeah, I gave it to my wife...

Old 11-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #20

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemosabe
Chalk it up to being a rookie, but I cannot phathom one firearm shooting a bullet and buckshot. Plus the recoil must be a little painful. Any member have thoughts on this?
My step Dad has a bond derringer with interchangeable barrels. We shoot .22's for fun. It will also take two other barrel sets, the biggest being 410/.45 colt. I think the other is .38/.357 mag, but I'm not sure.

With full house 410 self defense loads, his derringer (which is VERY much smaller than the judge), does have a significantly sharp recoil. But, it's not outrageous. You don't want to plink with it all day for fun, but getting off two hard hitting shots before you can get to something better (his M&P .40 in the console between the truck seats) ain't gonna kill you. Heck, you won't even feel it the next day. No worse than a heavy built revolver with hot .357 magnum loads in my experience.