Help please - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 03:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2157 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

Yes, I agree. You should invest in a manual. Don't try reloading without reading up on it first. That is why I did not tell you how much powder would be used in either cartirdge. Just know that they are not interchangable. Reloading is not complicated. But it is precise.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:03 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3458 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 374

As others have stated, the weight of the bullet is the same. The diameter of the bullet is a little different. The .45 uses a .451" diameter bullet and the .44 uses a .429 or .430" diameter bullet.

The operating pressures of the two cartridges are very different. The .45 ACP is a relatively low pressure cartridge. It is capable of shooting the standard 230 gr bullet around 900 fps. The .44 Magnum is a high pressure cartridge. It is capable of launching the 240 gr bullet near 1400 fps.

The difference in power is like night and day. Most consider the .44 Mag too powerful for defensive use. It is difficult to control (for most shooters) and WILL overpenetrate a two legged target.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #13

I was just getting confused wasnt trying to piss any one off by asking just about the same question more than once. Thanks for the info

Old 11-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #14

Liked 2119 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

DEagle, don't worry. Keep asking questions. A good way to learn.
When I started shooting (waaaay before computers) I would check out used book stores for good books on everything shooting related. Of course a lot of info was outdated, but the basics remain the same. Now with the internet it's a lot easier to find the info you need, but you have to be careful that what you're reading is fact and not someones opinion. I think that's the reason folks are telling you to check out reloading books.
A good idea even if you aren't going to reload. Scour used book stores and library sales for good cheap books. Also look for old Flaydermans or Blue Books to get an idea of different guns, their quality, and their value.
Welcome and have fun.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #15

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEagle13
I was just getting confused wasnt trying to piss any one off by asking just about the same question more than once. Thanks for the info
The only stupid question is the one that you dont ask.. I ask alot of questions to if im trying to learn or figure out something..

Old 11-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #16

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Yes, I agree. You should invest in a manual. Don't try reloading without reading up on it first. That is why I did not tell you how much powder would be used in either cartirdge. Just know that they are not interchangable. Reloading is not complicated. But it is precise.
In short answer to the .45ACP VS .44 Rem Mag question:

The .45 is marginally wider, but the cartridge lacks the massive

power of the slightly narrower, but same weight .44 bullet.

I have to agree you've progressed to the point where a good

reloading manual will be a great help to you.

Hornady or Speer's 8th Edition, Lyman's or Lee are all a

literal fountain of knowledge to the average gun-owner,

regardless of whether you ever reload ammo. IMO,

any one is 35$ well spent.

Newest Threads