Help please
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 01:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help please

I need a little help understanding...grain...ok a 240 grain 45 and a 240 grain 44magnum.....i dunno just a little confused

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Grain refers to the weight (mass) of the bullet. Caliber is the diameter.

For any caliber of cartridge there are usually several weights of bullet.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:03 AM   #3

So the two I mentioned are the same weight? Wouldnt that affect the power advantage? Just curious

Old 11-15-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Grain is the measurement of weight of the bullet itself. (the projectile) The caliber determines the cartridge case size and the amount of powder that is used to propel the bullet. ie: a certain amount of powder propels the bullet at x feet per second. There are various combinations for every caliber.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-15-2011, 02:07 AM   #5

So with a 240 45 and a 240 44 mag...the bullet weoghs the same....

Old 11-15-2011, 02:09 AM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEagle13 View Post
So the two I mentioned are the same weight? Wouldnt that affect the power advantage? Just curious
Yes the bullets have the same weight. You'd have to refer to some ballistic charts to do a comparison. Off the top of my head I'd guess the .44 mag would be the more powerful of the two.

This is probably the the only thing I remember from high school physics:

Force=mass*acceleration

So for any two objects of the same mass the one that is moving with higher velocity will have more force(power).

Old 11-15-2011, 02:12 AM   #7

Ok so same weight....how is the powder measured or whatnot...44 is longer therefore it would hve more powder...but whata the terminology on the powder amount

Old 11-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Gunpowder is also measured in grains. Another factor that determines the velocity of the bullet and the power it has is how fast the powder burns.

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-15-2011, 03:05 AM   #9

Liked 2178 Times on 1194 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

There are 7000 grains in a pound. The type of powder you use will also determine the amount you use. Different powders burn faster than others. Normally pistol powders burn faster than rifle powders. Lets say that you are talking about using a powder like titegroup. A 44 mag with a 240 grain bullet would use a lot more powder than say a 45 acp of the same bullet weight. If you used the same amount of powder in the 45 acp it would go kaboom for sure.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:07 AM   #10

Liked 113 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default DEagle13, sounds like...

You need to look over a reloading manual.

Some basics:

Caliber is the diameter of the bullet and as it happens, the bore, or interior 'tube' the length of the barrel. The bigger it is, the heavier the projectile - usually, but not always. U. S. and some older British calibers are measured in decimal inches, usually hundredths or thousandths of an inch. European (and most of the rest of the world) calibers are measured in millimeters and

Bullets are the projectiles. They are weighed in grains (1/7000 of a pound) in the U. S. and in grams - usually fractions - in the rest of the world. Gunpowder is also measured in grains or grams. Typically the heavier the bullet and the more gunpowder used, the more powerful the cartridge and firearm. Gunpowder comes in various speeds of burn rate. However, they are not listed by burn rate but by name or designation.

All firearms have a pressure level. This is the real limiting factor for 'power'. The higher the pressure in the system, the faster the bullet gets launched.

I said all that to say this: Get a reloading manual and read it. Depending on where you live, the local library might have a reloading manual. Even an old manual will give you the basic information and how all the 'parts' of a cartridge and firearm interplay to give a desired or specific result.

I don't mean to sound stern or blow you off, but it sounds like the questions you're asking are not two sentence answers.
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Newest Threads