Help with new sights

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Help with new sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Help with new sights

I went to a new range last night with a friend from work. The range had very low lighting over the shooting booths. With my old/bad eyes I had real trouble sighting on most of my pistols. I want to add night sights to at least one of my HGs. I already tried glow on to the factory sights and it is not good enough. I figure upgrading the MP 45 is best as that is my HD piece.

So what are the pros and cons of Trijicon vs. Fiber optic sights? Can anyone recommend a particular brand? Any tips for installing?

Thanks for any help you can give.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

With Trijicon sights, you can get a sight picture in total darkness. With fiber optics, you need a light source.

I have night sights on my carry and HD pistols (and my AR). On three of my pistols I have factory installed 3 dot Trijicon sights, and on one (+ AR) I tried XS 24/7 night sights. The difference is the 24/7's are modeled after iron sights on big / dangerous game rifles, for quicker front sight acquisition, such as would be needed for sudden self defense. Not to be confused with "normal" 3 dot systems, the 24/7 sights make lousy target sights, but excellent for self defense. The jury is still out on which ones I prefer.

On one of my pistols (a 1911) I installed fiber optic sights from Williams Sights. They are excellent for day to low light applications, but useless in total darkness. With mine, the first time out the front fiber insert went flying into orbit. I'm trying to get it replaced by Williams, but they say they have been having trouble with those lately. ?????

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 03-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5507 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

my cz97bd had trijicon nite sights. i found them useless in low light conditions as are often found in indoor ranges. they were green with whit circles. worked great in a dark room at nite. but in a dim indoor range....useless.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
my cz97bd had trijicon nite sights. i found them useless in low light conditions as are often found in indoor ranges. they were green with whit circles. worked great in a dark room at nite. but in a dim indoor range....useless.

I have several sets of Trijicon night sights on various things, and I have never had issues with them in low light... They still glow! Maybe get your vision checked?! (Not being rude, just confused)

Not all of us are trophy hunters.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have Trijicon night sights on my M&P 45 and a couple others they work great even in low light.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I have Trijicon night sights on my M&P 45 and a couple others they work great even in low light.
What vendor did you use? Did you install yourself? Any issues?

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-04-2011, 02:22 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Get the Heinie slant pro's, Jo. They are great as daytime sights, and as night sights.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Get the Heinie slant pro's, Jo. They are great as daytime sights, and as night sights.
I looked them up. A straight 8 they call it. One dot on top of the other. I have never tried that type sight. Do you have one I can try at the range tomorrow?

Also I was talking to the range officer at Firing Line last night. He was saying that sights have to be pressed in by a smith. But I figured you have a sight changing tool somewhere that you have forgotten about.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2417 Times on 1197 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

Jo Da,

I have had a set of Heinie Figure8 Sights on my Model 22 Glock for 15 years while on duty. I still have the duty pistol today since it was issued to me upon retirement. They are an excellent sight system. If you think about it your eye can tell very easily if a door frame is not perfectly vertical easier than they can detect anything that might not be exactly level. That is the advantage they have over the traditional three do system. Where you have to have even space between all three dots plus you have to have them at the correct elevation alignment with each other. The Heinie Figure 8 system you simply place the front sight dot on top of the rear sight dot and shoot. Your eye will detect immediately if the dots are not vertically lined up and certainly rapidly if you do not see both dots completely. I would encourage you to try them if you can locate some to look at!

Old 03-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #10

Thanks Sniper
I'm going to meet up with M14 for his company shoot tomorrow. Hopefully he will have them for me to try. They ain't cheap though. 150 for the sights and 77 for them to install. that's nearly half the price of the MP.