Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Help...my wife wants a gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I know better than to pick out a gun for someone else. I was merely looking for options to bring to her attention. The restrictions were set for the purpose of the question. If she wants to try a .45 then she will. However, as I've said, she is uncomfortable with guns but more concerned with her safety. I want to make sure she has an enjoyable experience instead of scaring the hell out of her on her first time.

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew your a#% out all day long!

Big Gun + BIGGER BANG = lower stress

Old 01-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #12

buying a gun for someone is like buying them underwear without talking to them first. Would you go and buy her a Bra without asking her what she likes? Underwire or no padded, lace, print, plain, white, beige, black, strap or strapless. There are a lot of options in bra's and guns.

Tango
You seem to know a lot about this subject. Not juding just saying.....

Old 01-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #13

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Oneshot I am a serious student of Bewbs University....

Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #14

Lot of good advice... but if eventual use is concealed carry, and you're only gonna buy one, you have to keep it to something she can conceal... probably something that can be carried in a purse, not too heavy, not too large, etc. Probably elimminates 1911s. 6" barrels, etc.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #15

Tango

Is that in Germany? I heard their slogan is Der keepin dem from der floppin

Old 01-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

redrover,

There's a website called The Cornered Cat. It's a well-written site about firearms (and other things) from a woman's point of view. There's a very good article about "trying on" a handgun. If she reads that (and some other things on the site) she might feel a little better about beginning the experience.

I also recommend starting her at the range by letting her use a .22. If possible, more than one .22, at least a semi and a revolver. I'm not one of those who thinks all women should start on revolvers. My reasoning is twofold. First, the .22 is a great learning platform: cheap to shoot, not as intimidating. Second is that by handling various types of guns, she can get an idea of what she likes and doesn't like in terms of placement of controls, operating system (revolver, SA/DA, etc.), grip angle, and so on. Then when she starts shopping, she'll pick something up and have a somewhat better idea of whether she likes the features on that gun. "The magazine release is much easier to operate than the one I practiced on" or "The sights just don't line up for me naturally with this one" or "It fits my hand just right, and I can reach all the controls without adjusting my firing hand or using my support hand."

Now to the core of your question. A lot of ladies like single-stack guns — they fit better in smaller hands and they are easier to conceal along the waistline. Kahr makes some nice models. The Walther PPS is very slim. S&W made some smaller-frame automatics that fit smaller hands well, though I don't know if they are in production anymore. Some women do prefer revolvers because they have trouble racking the slides on automatics. S&W J-frames are good, the Ruger LCP, and also the Ruger SP101. The SP101 is a bit bigger (heavier) and offers a 2.25" or 3" barrel. If she and you are comfortable with a .380, there are a bunch of other choices. Walther PPK or PPK/S, Sig P238 or Ruger LCP (not great fun at the range).

Of the ones I've listed, I have seen women shoot — and enjoy — a subcompact Kahr 9mm (don't recall the model), the Walther PPK/S (my wife's choice) and the Sig P238. I have two friends whose wives both carry SP101s, and I have read that the Walther PPS shoots very smoothly.

Hope this helps.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #17

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I personally think that some are jumping the gun here. She from what I take from the OP has never fired a gun before. She needs some training before jumping into a CCW Class. Not getting or giving her any safety or basic marksmanship training would be setting her up for failure.

I agree with UTF59 in letting her try a semi auto and a revolver in 22lr first.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:55 AM   #18

I know my wife will go with me to shoot but she is a little uncomfortable handling a gun. When she fired my 22 revolver she liked it. She also say a pink lady and thought it was cute so I got her one. After she fired the 38 spl in a light weight I can just say is anyone interested in buying a pink lady from me. She does enjoy shooting a 9mm though because the kick is totally different. She had a little trouble with the slide so we decided on a bersa .380 it has pretty decent power but is small and she likes to shoot it.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."

-- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861

Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
redrover,

There's a website called The Cornered Cat. It's a well-written site about firearms (and other things) from a woman's point of view. There's a very good article about "trying on" a handgun. If she reads that (and some other things on the site) she might feel a little better about beginning the experience.

I also recommend starting her at the range by letting her use a .22. If possible, more than one .22, at least a semi and a revolver. I'm not one of those who thinks all women should start on revolvers. My reasoning is twofold. First, the .22 is a great learning platform: cheap to shoot, not as intimidating. Second is that by handling various types of guns, she can get an idea of what she likes and doesn't like in terms of placement of controls, operating system (revolver, SA/DA, etc.), grip angle, and so on. Then when she starts shopping, she'll pick something up and have a somewhat better idea of whether she likes the features on that gun. "The magazine release is much easier to operate than the one I practiced on" or "The sights just don't line up for me naturally with this one" or "It fits my hand just right, and I can reach all the controls without adjusting my firing hand or using my support hand."

Now to the core of your question. A lot of ladies like single-stack guns — they fit better in smaller hands and they are easier to conceal along the waistline. Kahr makes some nice models. The Walther PPS is very slim. S&W made some smaller-frame automatics that fit smaller hands well, though I don't know if they are in production anymore. Some women do prefer revolvers because they have trouble racking the slides on automatics. S&W J-frames are good, the Ruger LCP, and also the Ruger SP101. The SP101 is a bit bigger (heavier) and offers a 2.25" or 3" barrel. If she and you are comfortable with a .380, there are a bunch of other choices. Walther PPK or PPK/S, Sig P238 or Ruger LCP (not great fun at the range).

Of the ones I've listed, I have seen women shoot — and enjoy — a subcompact Kahr 9mm (don't recall the model), the Walther PPK/S (my wife's choice) and the Sig P238. I have two friends whose wives both carry SP101s, and I have read that the Walther PPS shoots very smoothly.

Hope this helps.
This should prove to be very helpful. Thank you.

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew your a#% out all day long!

Big Gun + BIGGER BANG = lower stress

Old 01-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've read the cornered cat and agree it seems good for women getting in to shooting, also there is Paxton Quigley's "Armed and Female" and the NRA has a women's shooting Magazine like the American Rifleman and they have new women shooters clinics around the country , check their website. Take it slow and easy and try not to spook her.

Noblesse Oblige