Help...my wife wants a gun.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Help...my wife wants a gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help...my wife wants a gun.

My wife has always kept her distance from guns because she's very uncomfortable around them. I've always told her that if she changed her mind I would be there to help her. Due to some bad things happening near home she's decided that she needs to learn more and she wants her own gun to learn with.

I'm not asking which gun to buy but I would appreciate recommendations to look at especially from any ladies point of view. I'm looking to a future possibility of concealed carry for her and I'd like to keep it below 9mm for her to start. Thank You.

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew your a#% out all day long!

Big Gun + BIGGER BANG = lower stress

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

This is a tough one. MANY folks will immediately point you to a small revolver; however, I know my wife hated revolvers. The first gun I got my spouse was a Walther P22 - it allowed her to get the feel of pistol shooting in a platform that looks/feels like a "real" gun. Her first centerfire pistol was a Walther PPK/S - she saw mine one day, said "that's cute", and stole it. I got her to the range a few times with it and she was pretty proficient.

About 6 months ago, I found a like new Walther PK380 for under $200. Since it's just like her beloved P22 - I figured she'd like it - and she does.

To a point she needs to pick her own gun - but don't let her grab a .357 snubbie or the trip will be over before it starts. I've been married to mine for nearly 34 years so I had a good inkling of what she'd like and use...

Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

dontlimit her choice. take her to a range that rents let her try try different guns in different calibers. worst thing you cando to a new shooter especially a female shooter is pick the gun for them or limit their choice. she may surprise you and end up liking a 45 1911. ya never know know. but i can tell you this in general the smaller the gun the less fun they are to shoot.

when i teach first time shooters the ropes i always start them on full size handguns in whatever caliber.

9 times out of ten most women i let shoot for the first time pick the 1911 as their favorite.

guns made "for women" do women first time shooters no favors. those are almost always the cheapest rattiest difficult to shoot handguns and turn women off guns.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Let her try a few out. Start with .22's. Let her handle and pick out her own gun and caliber. If you try to step in and "help" it will go south in a hurry.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #5

My wife bought her own gun.......a Lady Smith in .38 Special. She can hit the 10 ring at 10 yards all day long. Proud of that gal.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

Get some training for her. NRA should have a number of someone in your area who can assist.

Let her pick her gun out. She would probably be more willing to carry "her" gun versus "the gun my husband bought".

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

22lr first off.

I would also look and see if there is a Ladies only firearms safety class. Many women are uncomfortable with a spouse teaching them firearms safety. Check with nra.org to see if there is a ladies training class around your area. Maybe a shooting buddy with a wife that likes to shoot could help her out.

Ruger MkIII Browning Buckmark, Walther P22, Sig Mosquito are all great starter guns.

buying a gun for someone is like buying them underwear without talking to them first. Would you go and buy her a Bra without asking her what she likes? Underwire or no padded, lace, print, plain, white, beige, black, strap or strapless. There are a lot of options in bra's and guns.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Get her a GSG 1911-22.

gsg191122.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If she tries to get you to pick one for her, start talking about the new olive drab drapes you want to pick for the living room.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Take her to a local IDPA shoot. Every one will be happy to let her look at (fondle) their gun. After the shoot several will let her shoot them. People are mostly nice. (unless they're not)