Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Help...my wife wants a gun. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/help-my-wife-wants-gun-36833/)

redrover3569 01-12-2011 04:28 PM

Help...my wife wants a gun.

My wife has always kept her distance from guns because she's very uncomfortable around them. I've always told her that if she changed her mind I would be there to help her. Due to some bad things happening near home she's decided that she needs to learn more and she wants her own gun to learn with.

I'm not asking which gun to buy but I would appreciate recommendations to look at especially from any ladies point of view. I'm looking to a future possibility of concealed carry for her and I'd like to keep it below 9mm for her to start. Thank You.

NGIB 01-12-2011 04:36 PM

This is a tough one. MANY folks will immediately point you to a small revolver; however, I know my wife hated revolvers. The first gun I got my spouse was a Walther P22 - it allowed her to get the feel of pistol shooting in a platform that looks/feels like a "real" gun. Her first centerfire pistol was a Walther PPK/S - she saw mine one day, said "that's cute", and stole it. I got her to the range a few times with it and she was pretty proficient.

About 6 months ago, I found a like new Walther PK380 for under $200. Since it's just like her beloved P22 - I figured she'd like it - and she does.

To a point she needs to pick her own gun - but don't let her grab a .357 snubbie or the trip will be over before it starts. I've been married to mine for nearly 34 years so I had a good inkling of what she'd like and use...

JonM 01-12-2011 04:39 PM

dontlimit her choice. take her to a range that rents let her try try different guns in different calibers. worst thing you cando to a new shooter especially a female shooter is pick the gun for them or limit their choice. she may surprise you and end up liking a 45 1911. ya never know know. but i can tell you this in general the smaller the gun the less fun they are to shoot.

when i teach first time shooters the ropes i always start them on full size handguns in whatever caliber.

9 times out of ten most women i let shoot for the first time pick the 1911 as their favorite.

guns made "for women" do women first time shooters no favors. those are almost always the cheapest rattiest difficult to shoot handguns and turn women off guns.

Gojubrian 01-12-2011 05:02 PM

Let her try a few out. Start with .22's. Let her handle and pick out her own gun and caliber. If you try to step in and "help" it will go south in a hurry.

chucksolo69 01-12-2011 08:12 PM

My wife bought her own gun.......a Lady Smith in .38 Special. She can hit the 10 ring at 10 yards all day long. Proud of that gal.

danf_fl 01-12-2011 08:27 PM

Get some training for her. NRA should have a number of someone in your area who can assist.

Let her pick her gun out. She would probably be more willing to carry "her" gun versus "the gun my husband bought".

cpttango30 01-12-2011 08:35 PM

22lr first off.

I would also look and see if there is a Ladies only firearms safety class. Many women are uncomfortable with a spouse teaching them firearms safety. Check with nra.org to see if there is a ladies training class around your area. Maybe a shooting buddy with a wife that likes to shoot could help her out.

Ruger MkIII Browning Buckmark, Walther P22, Sig Mosquito are all great starter guns.

buying a gun for someone is like buying them underwear without talking to them first. Would you go and buy her a Bra without asking her what she likes? Underwire or no padded, lace, print, plain, white, beige, black, strap or strapless. There are a lot of options in bra's and guns.

canebrake 01-12-2011 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Get her a GSG 1911-22.

orangello 01-12-2011 09:59 PM

If she tries to get you to pick one for her, start talking about the new olive drab drapes you want to pick for the living room.

freefall 01-13-2011 04:20 AM

Take her to a local IDPA shoot. Every one will be happy to let her look at (fondle) their gun. After the shoot several will let her shoot them. People are mostly nice. (unless they're not)