Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Help me understand my options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
The only thing that I would advise is that the Beretta does not have a natural point at the target.
Unless your hand is like a catcher's mit. I really have large hands. My college ring is a size 17. When I was choosing my hi-cap 9mm I bought a 92 because of the overly large grip, which was still too narrow and short so I added a pachmayr grip sleeve and a 20rd mag. Honestly I need the mag as my hand hangs off of the rear of the grip without it. When I get home I'll get a pic with my hand on the weapon to demonstraite.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 06-03-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #32
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2632 Times on 1535 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

There are also "clones" of the Hi-Powers for less than $300.00. Same grip, a little rough, but useable. I've one of the FEG's in my safe. Not beautiful, but it works every time.

I also have some plastic too, but I prefer metal.

Good luck with your search.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightExpress View Post
read a couple of articles on DUI's cases where defendants had their sentences lengthened due to some Facebook photos.

» Facebook Photos Lead To 2-Year Sentence After Drunk Driving Crash
That is criminal of the judge and prosecutor imho.
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
Yes, based on earlier suggestions, I started researching the Hi-Powers. My only apprehension is the MSRP in the $1k range. I'm not ruling it out, but the CZ is the leader in the clubhouse based on price alone until/if I can shoot the Sig, CZ, and Browning.
If you keep your eyes open, there are excellent used Hi-Powers to be had in the $600-700 range. I got into a used BHP for $500 and a new CZ 75b for $409. Good luck finding either at that price. But I'll bet you can come within $100 of those prices if you keep your head on a swivel. You won't go wrong wrong with either. I consider them to be in a pretty equal class. The BHP has a bit more of a classic "cool" nostalgia to it, but the CZ is arguably a better "value".

I also have an XDm and a P226, and both are excellent guns...but the CZ and BHP are the only two I consider absolute "keepers".

Old 06-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
Unless your hand is like a catcher's mit. I really have large hands. My college ring is a size 17. When I was choosing my hi-cap 9mm I bought a 92 because of the overly large grip, which was still too narrow and short so I added a pachmayr grip sleeve and a 20rd mag. Honestly I need the mag as my hand hangs off of the rear of the grip without it. When I get home I'll get a pic with my hand on the weapon to demonstraite.
This is really a key point about the M9. It's a good gun on it's own, but can be an outstanding choice for those with "big boy" hands.

I think most folks with an average fit would prefer the BHP or CZ 75, but for bigger hands I could see the Beretta winning out a lot of the time. Even my XDm45 grip feels a bit on the massive side (especially in length) for my own preference.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #36

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Even my XDm45 grip feels a bit on the massive side (especially in length) for my own preference.
One of the reasons I bought an XDm was the grip sleeves. I have the XDm 45 as well and I had to have to use the largest grip insert.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 06-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I'll kick in another Sig suggestion. I have 3: P245 (.45), P226 and P239 (both in 9mm). Love them all. I put Hogue grips on all of them simply because I like the cushy feel on my paws (getting older is a bitch but beats the alternative).

I am stictly an all metal pistol guy because they feel better to me and prefer Sig because of the DA/SA with decocker.

One in the pipe and fifteen in the mag of my 226 (my usual CC) plus a spare mag just because of my Boy Scout tendencies.

Of the 3, the P226 has the best balance and feel for me. YMMV

Give the Sigs a try, careful shopping can get you a new P226 under $800. Used they are tough to find but can be had around $600 - $650.

Have fun checking them out.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.