Help me understand my options
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Help me understand my options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Help me understand my options

OK, so if you've seen my range reports then you know what i've been shooting. But here's the cliff notes:

• 1st shot the 3rd Gen GLOCK G17 - liked it well enough, delievered as promised
  • Next shot the Beretta 92FS - Loved how I shot it, liked the increased weight, but don't like how it feels in hand or how the safeties interfere with the rear of the slide.
  • Just shot an M&P 9. Liked it the least. Still shot it well. Poor man's G17. Everything this gun has going for it the GLOCK just does a little better.
  • Oh, and I handled an SA XD(m) 9, but have no oportunity to shoot one. It absolutely felt the best in hand, but I have no idea how it shoots.

Originally I had planned on choosing between the G17, M&P9, and XDm9. But now the Beretta through a wrench in that.

So, what I would really like is an all metal gun that holds 15+ rounds, feels like the XD(m), shoots like the Beretta, and is as simple as a GLOCK.

What are my options?

Or am I just kidding myself? In which case, some gun manufacture needs to take this as instructions for their next line of guns!

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 06-03-2011 at 01:38 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do yourself a favor...shoot a CZ 75 SP-01, CZ 75B, and BHP before you decide.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 263 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
So, what I would really like is an all metal gun that feels like the XD(m), shoots like the Beretta, and is as simple as a GLOCK.
Look into Sig models P226, P228, P229, CZ 75 (and variants), and Browning Hi-Power. They're all really well balanced shooters.

And keep in mind that for any of these you change the grips...all can be outfitted with $15 Hogue wraparounds or spendier custom wood or aluminum grips.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:37 AM   #4

I'll start researching now. I should have added (and will edit my post).

• High capacity - 15 rounds+

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 06-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
OK, so if you've seen my range reports then you know what i've been shooting. But here's the cliff notes:
  • 1st shot the 3rd Gen GLOCK G17 - liked it well enough, delievered as promised
  • Next shot the Beretta 92FS - Loved how I shot it, liked the increased weight, but don't like how it feels in hand or how the safeties interfere with the rear of the slide.
  • Just shot an M&P 9. Liked it the least. Still shot it well. Poor man's G17. Everything this gun has going for it the GLOCK just does a little better.
  • Oh, and I handled an SA XD(m) 9, but have no oportunity to shoot one. It absolutely felt the best in hand, but I have no idea how it shoots.
Originally I had planned on choosing between the G17, M&P9, and XDm9. But now the Beretta through a wrench in that.

So, what I would really like is an all metal gun that holds 15+ rounds, feels like the XD(m), shoots like the Beretta, and is as simple as a GLOCK.

What are my options?

Or am I just kidding myself? In which case, some gun manufacture needs to take this as instructions for their next line of guns!
Well considering your impression/demands I would suggest....never mind. Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you purchase. Seems like your looking more for a debate than a firearm.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Well considering your impression/demands I would suggest....never mind. Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you purchase. Seems like your looking more for a debate than a firearm.
Wow! Umm no. I don't have a lot of posts here. Take a sec and read them. I stand by my assesment based on my experience level.

If you're happy with your M&P, then be happy with it. If you hate GLOCKs then hate them. You don't need one little-ole newbie to afirm any of your decisions/thoughts/opinions.

If anyone is looking for a debate. It appears to be you.

GOA

Old 06-03-2011, 02:30 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't forget to try a Sig Sauer P-226 in 9 mm too. Great guns. All metal. High quality workmanship. Accurate. Reliable. With a de-cocker on the side too.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon 173 View Post
Don't forget to try a Sig Sauer P-226 in 9 mm too. Great guns. All metal. High quality workmanship. Accurate. Reliable. With a de-cocker on the side too.
Love the feel of the Sig, but I was really trying to stay as far south of $1k as possible. So, the Sig and the Browning Hi-Power aren't looking good on that front. Unless the street price is a lot better than I realize.

I am going to try to shoot all three, though.

GOA

Old 06-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #9

I picked up a Bul Cherokee 9mm 2 months ago. Fits my hand great, I shoot it well, added a $25 laser to the rail. Feels as good as my M&P (Glocks don't fit my hand well). Polymer frame but very well built. Cost less than the Glocks or M&Ps and are every bit as much gun. Mag capacity is 17 rnds. My other semi-autos are S&W1911PD, Kimber TEII, S&W 1006 10mm, and an old, reliable Beretta 70s (as you can see I'm more of a single-stack guy.)

Old 06-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2986 Times on 1720 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

If you want metal, then why are you checking out plastic?

I am also curious as to the requirement of so many rounds.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)