Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Help me understand my options (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/help-me-understand-my-options-43366/)

knfxda 06-03-2011 01:20 AM

Help me understand my options

OK, so if you've seen my range reports then you know what i've been shooting. But here's the cliff notes:
  • 1st shot the 3rd Gen GLOCK G17 - liked it well enough, delievered as promised
  • Next shot the Beretta 92FS - Loved how I shot it, liked the increased weight, but don't like how it feels in hand or how the safeties interfere with the rear of the slide.
  • Just shot an M&P 9. Liked it the least. Still shot it well. Poor man's G17. Everything this gun has going for it the GLOCK just does a little better.
  • Oh, and I handled an SA XD(m) 9, but have no oportunity to shoot one. It absolutely felt the best in hand, but I have no idea how it shoots.

Originally I had planned on choosing between the G17, M&P9, and XDm9. But now the Beretta through a wrench in that.

So, what I would really like is an all metal gun that holds 15+ rounds, feels like the XD(m), shoots like the Beretta, and is as simple as a GLOCK.

What are my options?

Or am I just kidding myself? In which case, some gun manufacture needs to take this as instructions for their next line of guns! :D

Poink88 06-03-2011 01:27 AM

Do yourself a favor...shoot a CZ 75 SP-01, CZ 75B, and BHP before you decide. :D

sweeper22 06-03-2011 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knfxda (Post 516622)
So, what I would really like is an all metal gun that feels like the XD(m), shoots like the Beretta, and is as simple as a GLOCK.

Look into Sig models P226, P228, P229, CZ 75 (and variants), and Browning Hi-Power. They're all really well balanced shooters.

And keep in mind that for any of these you change the grips...all can be outfitted with $15 Hogue wraparounds or spendier custom wood or aluminum grips.

knfxda 06-03-2011 01:37 AM

I'll start researching now. I should have added (and will edit my post).
  • High capacity - 15 rounds+

WDB 06-03-2011 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knfxda (Post 516622)
OK, so if you've seen my range reports then you know what i've been shooting. But here's the cliff notes:
  • 1st shot the 3rd Gen GLOCK G17 - liked it well enough, delievered as promised
  • Next shot the Beretta 92FS - Loved how I shot it, liked the increased weight, but don't like how it feels in hand or how the safeties interfere with the rear of the slide.
  • Just shot an M&P 9. Liked it the least. Still shot it well. Poor man's G17. Everything this gun has going for it the GLOCK just does a little better.
  • Oh, and I handled an SA XD(m) 9, but have no oportunity to shoot one. It absolutely felt the best in hand, but I have no idea how it shoots.
Originally I had planned on choosing between the G17, M&P9, and XDm9. But now the Beretta through a wrench in that.

So, what I would really like is an all metal gun that holds 15+ rounds, feels like the XD(m), shoots like the Beretta, and is as simple as a GLOCK.

What are my options?

Or am I just kidding myself? In which case, some gun manufacture needs to take this as instructions for their next line of guns! :D

Well considering your impression/demands I would suggest....never mind. Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you purchase. Seems like your looking more for a debate than a firearm.

knfxda 06-03-2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDB (Post 516653)
Well considering your impression/demands I would suggest....never mind. Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you purchase. Seems like your looking more for a debate than a firearm.

Wow! Umm no. I don't have a lot of posts here. Take a sec and read them. I stand by my assesment based on my experience level.

If you're happy with your M&P, then be happy with it. If you hate GLOCKs then hate them. You don't need one little-ole newbie to afirm any of your decisions/thoughts/opinions.

If anyone is looking for a debate. It appears to be you.

Recon 173 06-03-2011 02:30 AM

Don't forget to try a Sig Sauer P-226 in 9 mm too. Great guns. All metal. High quality workmanship. Accurate. Reliable. With a de-cocker on the side too. :D

knfxda 06-03-2011 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon 173 (Post 516663)
Don't forget to try a Sig Sauer P-226 in 9 mm too. Great guns. All metal. High quality workmanship. Accurate. Reliable. With a de-cocker on the side too. :D

Love the feel of the Sig, but I was really trying to stay as far south of $1k as possible. So, the Sig and the Browning Hi-Power aren't looking good on that front. Unless the street price is a lot better than I realize.

I am going to try to shoot all three, though.

mes227 06-03-2011 02:58 AM

I picked up a Bul Cherokee 9mm 2 months ago. Fits my hand great, I shoot it well, added a $25 laser to the rail. Feels as good as my M&P (Glocks don't fit my hand well). Polymer frame but very well built. Cost less than the Glocks or M&Ps and are every bit as much gun. Mag capacity is 17 rnds. My other semi-autos are S&W1911PD, Kimber TEII, S&W 1006 10mm, and an old, reliable Beretta 70s (as you can see I'm more of a single-stack guy.)

danf_fl 06-03-2011 09:31 AM

If you want metal, then why are you checking out plastic?

I am also curious as to the requirement of so many rounds.