Help me think this through.......... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Help me think this through..........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3475 Times on 1991 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Practice should vary
Perfect practice on one thing is worse than no practice.
Follow Bear's advice. Be quick at short ranges, be sure at longer.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

WoC - I've been to both Thunder Ranch and Valhalla for hands on training in self defense firearm training. I have been a shooter all my life, since I was 5 anyways, and I have read a ton books on defensive & combat shooting.

So? Big deal. What's that worth? Nothing really.

Grand total, I have exactly ZERO experience in shooting someone. I've drawn my CC weapon twice in my life, never had to point it, or shoot it.

Never taken a life, never had to make that choice, and have never been in a situation where I truly had to make that choice.

I am happy about that actually. I pray that never changes.

But the fact is the use of a handgun is to defend yourself UNTIL you get a rifle in your hands.

A handgun round at 25 yards is going to be, in fact, highly ineffective against most male assailants, merely because of trajectory and penetration ability.

Hitting them isn't enough, you need the ability to successfully end the threat.

Now, as has been pointed out, a "threat" at 25 yards is one that can be escaped/avoided or negated.

A thread at 7 yards is NOT one that can be negated or avoided.

Shooting with a controlled sight picture, from a stable triangle stance, with controlled breathing and all the time in the world is NOT the same as drawing from a holster and shooting a target at 7 yards with adrenaline coursing and no sight picture.

Pull. Point. Shoot. Did you hit the target?

Rob Pincus, the mastermind behind Valhalla and "Combat Focus", his proven self defense shooting system teaches that your responsibility is to end a threat. When "the average" shooter is confronted with a threat they INSTINCTIVELY focus on that threat.

With Combat Focus they are taught to shoot to eliminate that threat. Usually at varying ranges from 5 to 10 yards and always by pop up targets/innocents to test your vision and decision making skills.

Essentially my very long post to your simple question comes down to this:

A pistol is a short range defensive weapon.

25-50 yards is a long gun's realm.

Hope that helps.

JD

Old 05-11-2011, 12:29 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

WOC
I am certainly not any expert, I tend to like to practice at longer distances.
While the fast draw and fire is fun and I do a limited amount of it I am far happier when I practice precision shooting at 25 to 200 yards.
It seems to me that this is the way to learn what you and your gun are capable of.
As far as I can see the secret is to be comfortable with your ability and spend as much time as possible with your gun in your hand.
You would probably get a real kick out of N,R.A Bullseye shooting.
TGR

Mark Twain

Old 05-11-2011, 03:00 AM   #14

Winds,
I've seen you shoot at long range, and was impressed!
Your question only gives me another excuse for a trip to the range and more practice at close range and more importantly, knowing exactly where my weapon is at all times, whether carrying, or on the seat next to me in the truck.
When the adrenaline rush hits from a SHTF encounter, I hope my memory serves me right.
Practice, practice, and more practice. We all could use more!

Old 05-11-2011, 03:38 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6788 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

there ar two types of shooters and some that live in the middle. growing up most of my shooting was hunting small game like rabbits and squirrels. i did not own a handgun until i was 21 and the first one was a desert eagle in 357 mag. so i wasnt a serious handgun shooter until after i left the army and even then it wasnt about self defense and more about just plinking.

only in the last ten years or so have i gotten serious about SD practice. if your not using your handgun for self defense there is nothing wrong at enjoying the art of hitting longer range targets with a handgun.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 05-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3456 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 374

There are valid reasons to shoot fast and close as well as at distance. My practice consists of multiple targets at variable, random ranges. Occasionally I will set targets at 25 - 50 yards for slow, accurate fire.

Varying your practice can only help your overall skill.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #17

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

In real life shootings at very close range, an amazing percentage of rounds miss the target, even from veteran, experienced police officers. Ultra high stress and a massive, sudden adrenalin dump can have a very strange effect on marksmanship.

Whether it be distance, or basic marksmanship, practice using a variety of scenarios. Learn to shoot standing, sitting, laying on your butt (simulated getting knocked down), using your support hand, etc. Think outside the box and try to be prepared for the unexpected.

It is one thing to stand up at a range and shoot at paper targets, or at Bambi in the woods, but it is quite another thing to shoot at someone who shoots back at you. That'll tend to rattle most folks.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 05-12-2011, 03:04 AM   #18
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I practice at 7 to 10 yards as that is 10 to 12 steps away walking, 7 to 10 steps running, depending on the person and walking or running that is 3 to 15 seconds. I also practice with three or four shot rapid fire as I don't have a magic bullet that will stop a threat with one shot. With luck the first shot will put them down but not chancing my life on luck. Shooting papper is far different than shooting an aggeressor, in that moment in time training/practice is what decieds who goes home and who doesn't. I can shoot at a longer distance with my pistol aimed at a static traget but that isn't the skill requied if need my firearm. Sort of like driving your car, yes you can go 120 MPH but how often is that going to be something you need to do? Practice what you expect you will need to do and practice that until it is a habit.

At the local public range I've had this conversation several times, typically started by "dude anyone can hit a target from there". I share pretty much the above thought and most can't put 1-4 center mass, if picking there pistol up off the bench and aquire target with out taking more time than they may have. In a position of already on target most get the first in center mass, 2-4 were often out of center mass. Practice what the tool in hand is intended for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 05-12-2011 at 03:14 AM.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #19
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8769 Times on 5239 Posts
Likes Given: 11643

Thank you very much for all the answers. I see now what I had been missing and not understanding/knowing before. I will practice speed at close range when I go shooting. But I also like the skill/thrill, of hitting the target at far range. I'll do much more close, quick shooting from now on.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
In real life shootings at very close range, an amazing percentage of rounds miss the target, even from veteran, experienced police officers.
Back in high school when I worked summers at a local amusement park we had a problem with a particular stray(unlicensed) dog. Eventually park management call the local police to put the dog down. With the dog 3-4 yards away, standing still, tongue lolling, the "veteran, experienced police officer" missed ... six times. After he reloaded though he did finally get him.

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Newest Threads