Help me think this through..........
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Help me think this through..........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7141 Times on 4298 Posts
Likes Given: 8669

Default Help me think this through..........

When I go to the range, I like to shoot with my target as far out as it will go. When I shot with Hunter Joe, he set the targets at 7 yards. I've heard others say you want to shoot at a distance most common for self defense. Now, you all know I'm still learning so my logic might be wrong but it seems to me if I can hit a target at 25 yards or 50 yards I'm probably going to be able to hit a target at 7 yards. Why do I need to practice with a target so close. I like the challenge of trying to shoot well with my target way out there.

Please educate me. Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You can do both! For self defense practice I shoot 5-10 yrds. sometimes I shoot up to 25yards, just depends on what I'm doing. Practicing for a defensive shoot or just punching holes.
Practicing for a defensive shoot would/could include drawing, reloading, failure dills,etc...

Old 05-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
You can do both! For self defense practice I shoot 5-10 yrds. sometimes I shoot up to 25yards, just depends on what I'm doing. Practicing for a defensive shoot or just punching holes.
Practicing for a defensive shoot would/could include drawing, reloading, failure dills,etc...
Well, I guess I'm just punching holes. But by punching holes I hope to become accurate and able to defend myself should the situation ever arise.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Maybe you could find a place with a pop-up target at close range; i think this would explain the need to be able to rapidly ventilate unwelcome persons or objects at closer range. When something/somebody appears from behind cover, in your IMMEDIATE vicinity, your natural instincts may not lend themselves to a steady aimed shot; you might naturally try to step back or block them with your hand rather than lining up dots on their chest.

Think about the peanut cans with the spring snakes in them.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #5

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If someone 25 yards away from you runs full-sprint with a pissed off wanna kill you attitude.....when he gets 7 yards away, do you think your hands would be shaking at all?

At 25 yards, is someone a threat? Good luck with the jury on that one.

At 25 yards, how long do you take to line up the shot, breathe, and pull the trigger? Would you have that much time in a self-defense situation?

Just playin' the devil's advocate, my friend!

Last edited by lonyaeger; 05-10-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
At least she uses a revolver; no ejected brass to give away her firing position to an investigator.

WOC, maybe you could get one of those cardboard cutouts of Obama & rig it to pop-up with a weighted line or something; that would startle the beejezus out of me. "BOO I'm taxing you!"

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #7

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
At least she uses a revolver; no ejected brass to give away her firing position to an investigator.

WOC, maybe you could get one of those cardboard cutouts of Obama & rig it to pop-up with a weighted line or something; that would startle the beejezus out of me. "BOO I'm taxing you!"
Point.....

Old 05-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When you're shooting at longer range you're taking your time and trying for the smallest groups possible. When defensive shooting, pinpoint accuracy is not needed-you just have to hit the kill zone, QUICKLY! The whole idea in defensive shooting is to get rounds on target fast. You're already behind the curve by the time you recognize the need to draw your weapon. That means they already have a weapon out & threatening you with it and you have to draw & shoot them before they shoot/stab you. That's why practicing defensive shooting is at close range.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Because you won't be taking well aimed steady shots in a defensive encounter. You need to get your gun out and put rounds into the vital area quickly as possible. You do this at the close ranges you expect to use your gun at to see how accurate you are in that situation and what you need to work on. Only way to get good at clearing your gun from the holster and putting rapid shots into the vital area is to practice it. Also, shooting on the move is EXTREMELY important. In a SHTF self defense encounter neither you or the bad guy is going to stand still. Shooting slow fire at longer distances is a blast...but in my opinion it doesn't prepare you for defending yourself.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 05-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
If someone 25 yards away from you runs full-sprint with a pissed off wanna kill you attitude.....when he gets 7 yards away, do you think your hands would be shaking at all?

At 25 yards, how long do you take to line up the shot, breathe, and pull the trigger? Would you have that much time in a self-defense situation?

Just playin' the devil's advocate, my friend!
Points well taken, everyone.

Lon, you're right. When I shoot, I do take a while to line up my shot. All these points is what I needed to hear. I knew there was something I was missing and I didn't know what it was. It seems that time to react would be the biggest factor I was missing.

There is no drawing from a holster for me. I live in Illinois so no Conceal Carry and even if I could, I don't think I'm mentally and emotionally ready for that yet. I still have way too much to learn.

'Gello, I love the idea of a pop up Obama.......BOO I'm taxing you.

So I should probably practice for close range and quickness, right?