Help Me Pick a Varmint Pistol in .22lr
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Help Me Pick a Varmint Pistol in .22lr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 03:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help Me Pick a Varmint Pistol in .22lr

So recently I have been shooting alot at whistle pigs (They are a large ground squirrel).. Problem is that I am not hardly hitting them.. I Would say that I am hitting about 15% of the time from within 20 yards. I Blame this on the sights of the Taurus Model 94 Revolver I have been shooting. But its my wifes gun & she likes the sights as is (for the 50 or so rounds she has shot out of it).
So I am in the market for a new .22lr pistol that I can do with as I choose & will most likely be adding a scope or red dot to. As this is simply a "toy" and wont be used for anything serious I don't want to spend a fortune on it. It will be used for shooting at varmints outside of hunting season & for grouse during bow season (arrows cost too much) as long as its lighter then my wifes Taurus.

So far I am leaning towards a Baretta u22 Neos due to low cost & good reviews. I also really like the fact that I can mount the sight to the barrel & change the barrels without having to re-sight so I can carry with a 4.5" barrel during bow season & the 6" with red dot or scope the rest of the time.

But since I know very little I want the opinions of people who hopefully know more then me being as that I am an avid bow hunter & my 1 and only gun doesn't get shot (its an old Winchester lever action model 94(?) that shoots a hard as hell to find .375 winchester load). Fact is I would probably sell it if it wasn't a family heirloom.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2010, 04:05 AM   #2

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

American Tactical Imports (ATI)GSG 1911 Pistol, GERG2210M1911, 22LR, 10 Rd

$283.20!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/lets-see-some-1911s-14126/

American Tactical Imports Hand Guns (Pistols) american tactical imports atigsg -KELTECPISTOLS.COM

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-07-2010, 04:09 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How would that do with optics since the whole top of the gun moves? also what is the advantage in spending the extra 30 bucks over the neos?

But also thank you for the SPEEDY reply.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:29 AM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Ruger Charger man Ruger Charger.

Ruger

Old 07-07-2010, 04:31 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Ruger Charger man Ruger Charger.

Ruger
that wouldn't work at all for bow season & if I was going to go that far you might as well just buy a rifle. at least thats my opinion.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:50 AM   #6
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thompson Contender, it is a single shot but considering your a bow hunter this may fit you well. Add in the fact you can get a barrel in almost any ciliber and varried lengths/styles a few hundred dollars, it is just FUN. Optics and sights are easiy to add.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:50 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Buy a .22 rifle and actually hit the little bastids! This from a guy who has shot woodchucks with everything from .22 Long through 12GA slugs to .270.
Never had to reach in the hole with the shotgun slugs!

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 07-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
Buy a .22 rifle and actually hit the little bastids! This from a guy who has shot woodchucks with everything from .22 Long through 12GA slugs to .270.
Never had to reach in the hole with the shotgun slugs!
really dont want a rifle. Takes away the ease & convenience that this will require to make it worth the money. Plus it makes it a little too easy.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:59 AM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastage View Post
really dont want a rifle. Takes away the ease & convenience that this will require to make it worth the money. Plus it makes it a little too easy.
One shot, one kill. Not one shot and possibly a wounded animal. That goes for groundhogs, rats, mink, bear, and every animal. If you want a pistol for this, then you have some great suggestions here. (I'm with gorknoids, tho) Why not look at a Ruger MK II or III. Very accurate long barreled semi-auto pistols. There are several long barreled revolvers in .22lr or even .22 mag on the market as well. Some single action and some double. Just thinking and typing...

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-07-2010, 06:13 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok so you have made the suggestion of a ruger mark II or mark III, But for the same as I posted above regarding the ATI 1911.. What advantage does this have over the u22 neos for the cost increase.

Ideally a fairly compact semi auto pistol will serve my purposes the best. & I am really hoping not to break 300 dollars with it as justifying it to the wife is going to be hard enough as is..