Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Help Me Help My Dad! (Experience Welcome!) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/help-me-help-my-dad-experience-welcome-31925/)

diggsbakes 09-19-2010 06:05 AM

Help Me Help My Dad! (Experience Welcome!)

Title: Which Smith to Baby???

OK, so my Dad and I have so much in common it could be scary, but since the habits, hobbies, passions, beliefs and interests that we share are so much fun, it's totally awesome!!! :) (Too bad we live 8 hours apart :()

At any rate, as many of you know we share similar tastes in firearms (except he's got the 1911 thing more so than I, mostly due to him being a righty). We both love our Revolvers, especially Smiths and we both tend to "baby" certain guns more than others. This is NOT based on value, but on a number of personal factors that include, but are not limited to uniqueness, (perfect) condition, sentimental values, etc. We both LOVE nearly every gun chambered for the .357 mag that Smith has made throughout the years, especially model 19s and 66s.

We (kinda) came up with a Solution:
We both own and frequently shoot 66s in various configurations, but neither of us can bring ourselves to turn one into an everyday carry weapon. They are in great condition and it's not like you can just order another pinned and recessed Smith. The mere thought of holster wear and the possibility of occasional dings are sickening. However, because we shoot these beauties so often and are therefore proficient, we decided we would look for some that were a little more towards the "good" condition side, mainly in regards to cosmetics and force them into daily service.

The Question. . . ?:

I solved this dilemma with the SP101. Worked out great.

Dad waited a while and now he got himself into a BIG pickle! ! !

He went to a gun show (bad already) and picked up a mint Nickel plated, 2.5" barrel, S&W model 19-3.

Now it is 19-3 vs. 66 (no dash I believe) Both 2.5, both mint

Which one to carry?

I could have done a poll, but I know the great ones will emerge here. He has decided that one of them WILL be dedicated (part time of course) to carry. Keep in mind that "carry" includes streets, desert, mountains, travel and more range time.

Thanks Boys! ! ! :)

CA357 09-19-2010 06:27 AM

I suggest he carry the Model 66. They're more common than a nice Model 19.

spittinfire 09-19-2010 11:50 AM

I would love to hunt with my 19 but I can't bring myself to drag it thru the woods. I too would go with the 66.

diggsbakes 09-19-2010 07:03 PM

Well, that's where we were leaning, but after hanging out w/ a good 66 for a while, the anxiety that is caused by putting it in a holster alone might negate the mental advantage of preparedness that carrying a handgun provides.

Now that my wife is circling my SP101 like a buzzard over rotten meat, I may need to convert another "safe (target) gun" into a CCW. My 2-1/2" 66 would be a perfect candidate. . . :eek: I have plenty of other possible carry weapons, but revolvers are the only ones that make me feel warm and fuzzy.

I guess the only solution is to find another 66 (or 19), compare the 2 and go from there. :confused:

CA357 09-19-2010 07:44 PM

Let us know what happens. It sounds like another gun or two may be joining the family. :cool:

diggsbakes 09-19-2010 09:12 PM

Hopefully, but a gun or two is gonna have to leave the family first. It's not the best time right now for "new additions", at least not with out the house and car getting paid. :(

CourtJester 09-19-2010 11:52 PM

Shoot them both and see which one hits the 10 ring best and fouls up first. That's always a good time. Take two similar guns out with pops or a friend and trying to out do each other on the targets. You get practice, data on the gun, and you get to bet for quarters who can get the best ten shots at a time.

M14sRock 09-20-2010 02:06 AM

All things being equal, I'd carry the 66.

diggsbakes 09-20-2010 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CourtJester (Post 353602)
Shoot them both and see which one hits the 10 ring best and fouls up first. That's always a good time. Take two similar guns out with pops or a friend and trying to out do each other on the targets. You get practice, data on the gun, and you get to bet for quarters who can get the best ten shots at a time.

Games are great! What fun is there in sitting outside all alone on a mid September day in colorful Colorado, setting up courses and popping steel silhouettes all day??? :rolleyes: Mmmmmmmm, well don't ask me that. ;)

Fact of the matter is we've put gun after gun up against each other over the years and played every shooting gun in the book. The 19 is still untested, but aside from that, we've established the limits of every firearms in our safes. My Dad is pretty much the only one I shoot with (except occasional co-worker), even despite the geographic separation.

If you really wanted to determine which gun shot better between a 19-3 and a 66-1, both 2-1/2" barrels, you'd be spending a long time and a lot of ammo on that experiment. :eek:

diggsbakes 09-21-2010 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWGaryM (Post 353880)
I'm going to open myself up to harassment here but I'll suggest since the two of you share the same love for the same guns get him a SP 101 for carry too.

I own 14 handguns and love them all for different reasons but if I had to give them all up but one I would keep my 4" barrel stainless GP100 .357 magnum. That is just the perfect all around gun.

That is a very generous and giving thought. You would never get anything but good harassment for gun love around here. ;)

Pops wouldn't carry an SP101 just cause I don't think he'd have room/time to put a 1000 downrange through it, unless it was as a mountain gun, which I don't know if he has one (possibility there???).

He (and I) likes the "American Gentleman" aspect of the custom 1911s and classic Smiths in respect to carry, for both the unparalleled reliability and function as well as the comfortable conceal-ability.