Help me decide?!?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Help me decide?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help me decide?!?

Hello All,

I will be purchasing a new firearm as a gift to myself for Christmas. I have narrowed my options down to 3 guns (2 pistols, 1 rifle) and need some help deciding.

Background: The selected gun will be primarily used for plinking at a local range that opened up a few minutes from my house. I currently own a Pardner Protector Shotgun that serves as my home defense currently, 2 old .22 Rifles handed down from my old man, and an old Savage 170 Pump 30-30 for large game hunting.

My Options:
1) CZ P-07 Duty 9mm – I love the feel of these guns and enjoy shooting pistols. This would also serve as my carry once I get a CCW. Cost of ammo at the range will be the highest of my options.

2) Walther P22 – Fun gun for plinking, cheap ammo, but not a good defense gun.

3) Ruger 10/22 Rifle – Cheap initial cost and cheap ammo, however I would plan to modify this rifle fairly extensively. I enjoy working on/modifying so this would be a fun continuous project gun as I can add a part, take it to the range, and see the difference.

So, please help me decide what you would do. Thank you in advanced for any suggestions or comments.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

You don't have a handgun and you indicate you want to get a carry permit - so the choice is obvious to me. I had a CZ-P01 and it was a nice gun, I just prefer SA triggers...

Old 12-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You need a decent pistol, so go ahead and get the CZ. You've already got .22's, so you're covered in that department already. Buy a 10/22 eventually, because they're just great rifles and fun to play with.

I also suggest that down the road you pick up a heavier caliber rifle or carbine. If you ever want to reach out and touch something, it's nice to have the capability.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
You need a decent pistol, so go ahead and get the CZ. You've already got .22's, so you're covered in that department already. Buy a 10/22 eventually, because they're just great rifles and fun to play with.

I also suggest that down the road you pick up a heavier caliber rifle or carbine. If you ever want to reach out and touch something, it's nice to have the capability.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have the 30-30 which is a heavy enough caliber for me now, but I would like to pick up a nice .308 or 30-06 down the road.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It looks like you need a handgun to me. The 9mm will serve as defense as well as plinking/practicing on the range.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!