Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Help me choose a revolver.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Wow.. dont know what to say .. they are all interesting deals.
The Taurus tracker is the most gun , a modern design too boot and has an interesting cartridge. of course the latter limits it a bit ammo wise but even so...

The Smith in 4 inch has the most pedigree and the best all around barrel lenght in my mind..tho its also one of the most used of the guns.

if concealed carry is a consideration then the Speed six with the short barrel may be your strongest candidate.

I wish I had this selection in my state

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 10-11-2013 at 01:32 AM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 10-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
I've got a soft spot for all things Ruger...

My vote is for the Security Six...

The 6" bbl will give you a lot more enjoyment at longer ranges...

My GP 100 has the 6" bbl and I can ding the gong at 100 yds at will...(warm fuzzies )

Taurus left a bad taste in my mouth a few years back but that was a poly semi auto...but still. I know they make good wheelguns and have quite the following among their owners, but I'm biased towards the Rugers...

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices, just tossin' my .02 out there...
A Ruger Security Six has been on my list of guns to get for awhile, but those other choices are making that decision hard. I think if I can talk them down some (I will have to pay shipping and a transfer fee ($40-$50 extra), so a little more off would be great), I'd probably go with the Ruger. The S&W is neck and neck with it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Wow.. dont know what to say .. they are all interesting deals.
The Taurus tracker is the most gun , a modern design too boot and has an interetsing cartridge. of course the latter limits it a bit ammo wise but even so...

The Smith in 4 inch has the most pedigree and the best all around barrel lenght in my mind..thos its also one of the most used of the guns.

if concealed carry is a consideration then the Speed six with the short barrel may be your strongest candidate.

I wish I had this selection in my state
You see exactly why I'm havign trouble choosing then.

Conceal carry is not a consideration so the gun can be as big, powerful, and heavy as it needs to be. It will be a range gun.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5818 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 11010

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

conceal carry is not a consideration so the gun can be as big, powerful, and heavy as it needs to be. It will be a range gun.
s&w .500?

No offense and none taken

Old 10-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
s&w .500?
Find me one for about $400 and I'll buy it.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #15

Liked 676 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Come on Tex get A Medusa.... Im tired of being the only one with one.....

Old 10-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

The correct answer to your question is: Buy the Smith and never look back.

I have nothing against Ruger wheel guns, but I haven't shot one and I own a Smith 66, which is the SS brother of the 19. I absolutely love that gun. Seriously, if yours shoots like mine does, you will absolutely love it. Mine has a 2.5" bbl and I can achieve excellent accuracy with it. As an example...:

image-2444055446.jpg

I didn't put the gun in that picture, but take my word it was my 66. I am better with it than I am with my semi-autos. I believe it was about ten yards or so, shooting double action. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe S&W will reblue it under their warranty.

EDIT: Ok I apologize for the picture of my daughter and the dog being in here. I accidentally clicked it and can't get rid of it.

image-682472392.jpg  

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Come on Tex get A Medusa.... Im tired of being the only one with one.....
I'd have better luck finding leprechaun than I would that revolver. Beside, I probably couldn't afford it if I did manage to find one.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
The correct answer to your question is: Buy the Smith and never look back.

I have nothing against Ruger wheel guns, but I haven't shot one and I own a Smith 66, which is the SS brother of the 19. I absolutely love that gun. Seriously, if yours shoots like mine does, you will absolutely love it. Mine has a 2.5" bbl and I can achieve excellent accuracy with it. As an example...:

Attachment 121980

I didn't put the gun in that picture, but take my word it was my 66. I am better with it than I am with my semi-autos. I believe it was about ten yards or so, shooting double action. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe S&W will reblue it under their warranty.
That's some nice shooting!

I looked, and I think they charge you for rebluing. I'd have to call to make sure though. If I get it, I may just use some Oxphoblue to touch it up, or just leave it be. I like my guns to look nice, but in the end it's meant to be a shooter.

Quote:
EDIT: Ok I apologize for the picture of my daughter and the dog being in here. I accidentally clicked it and can't get rid of it.
Awwwww. That's cute.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 10-11-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 298 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I'd go with the Ruger Security Six first followed by the S&W. That is a good price on either. The Taurus .41 would be tempting but I'd have the added expense of setting up to reload that round. I always consider that a $100 add on to a new caliber.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:56 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
That's some nice shooting! I looked, and I think they charge you for rebluing. I'd have to call to make sure though. Awwwww. That's cute.
Thanks!

Even if you don't get it re-blued, you won't regret having it if its mechanically in as good of condition as my 66. And if its just a range gun, the blueing doesn't matter that much.

By the way, in my biased opinion, Smiths probably hold their value better over long term than Rugers (Taurus isn't even in the same ballpark).

Always have clean socks.