Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Help identify this old pistol please (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/help-identify-old-pistol-please-47277/)

players88 08-24-2011 07:11 AM

Help identify this old pistol please

5 Attachment(s)
A friend has this old pistol thats been in his family along time but he has no idea what it is or what its value is? Can anyone help identify it? Their is no

names on it just three small stripes and a diamond shaped group of dots. Ive circled it in yellow in the pics to see. The hammer cocks back 2 clicks. the

firing cap blows clear into the barrel.

PS if you email me players88@hotmail.com i can send you more pics.

Thanks

texaswoodworker 08-24-2011 08:37 AM

Not sure. It looks like it may be from Europe.

hiwall 08-24-2011 02:31 PM

commonly called "muff" pistols. These were fairly common here and in Europe. Made maybe 1850 to 1880 or so by many gunsmiths and small gun companies. value in that shape about $150 to $300. I always thought they were kinda cute.

utf59 08-24-2011 03:07 PM

Look up "muff" before you get the wrong idea.

unclebear 08-24-2011 03:29 PM

make sure safe search is on... :p

I don't know if this helps but they were used a lot as boot pistols, some of them had blades put under the barrel so after you fired your one shot you would have a blade to work with. It was pretty much just a cheap form of protection you could get, a gun smith could throw one together quickly and pretty cheap.

HOSSFLY 08-24-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utf59 (Post 568951)
Look up "muff" before you get the wrong idea.

Is that were the ladies hid them :rolleyes:

players88 08-24-2011 09:36 PM

UPDATE on OLD PISTOL

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Very Much for your help. I kinda know its old now and its called a muff gun or box lock percussion pocket pistol or somethign else. I would like to know exactly what it is if possible?
new info the barrel does unscrew on this pistol I tried that today and also the dots are on the barrel of the gun and I canít get my cam to get a good pic that close up but they arenít dots itís like two pickaxes crossing each other with maybe a crown or dot above and smaller one below them? Oh yeah and the two pickaxes that cross each other are on the barrel and the gun as well. The three stripes are on the barrel behind the two crossed pickaxes or hammers?

orangello 08-24-2011 09:55 PM

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.
Looks a lot like this reproduction from DixieGunWorks. (not saying it is a reproduction)

players88 08-24-2011 10:25 PM

why do u think it looks like a reproduction? its your assumption without any reasoning?

orangello 08-25-2011 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 569170)
Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.
Looks a lot like this reproduction from DixieGunWorks. (not saying it is a reproduction)

Quote:

Originally Posted by players88 (Post 569192)
why do u think it looks like a reproduction? its your assumption without any reasoning?

You misunderstand my post. I only wanted to indicate that it resembles that reproduction pistol from Dixie, primarily in function and the apparent mechanics (screw barrel). That is why i added the parenthetical "(not saying that it is a reproduction)". Some reader may be more familiar with the firearm that Dixie is imitating; that firearm that is being imitated might be related to the one you have posted pictures of.

I have no idea if your item is a reproduction or an original screw barrel pistol.