Help with First Handgun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Help with First Handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

First of all, I see you're in NJ, so it's probably a real pain for you to get a firearm at all, let alone a handgun. So make sure the gun you like, including magazine capacity, fits within the laws of your state.

You've already gotten a lot of good advice. I would add that 9mm and .38 Special (since revolvers came up) are less expensive than .40, .45 and .44. Depending on how you look at it, that means that either: a) it costs less money to shoot 200 rounds at the range or b) you can shoot 300 rounds at the range instead of just 200. And if you shoot a .22, you could shoot around a thousand.

Also, is the gun for defense, or strictly for fun? Even though I'm a bit of a recoil junkie, if I were shooting just for fun, I'd get the .22 first.

Let us know what you do decide on, and be sure to post a range report!

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you very much for all the great info. I am going to my local shop plus they have an indoor range so I will try a couple of different guns out. The gun I choose will be for both fun and defense. I will get back to you guys hopefully this weekend on what I decide. I know if I go with the M&P I will have to order it and won't get it for two weeks.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #13

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've shot a lot of guns, but not nearly as many as some on here, and I have to say the M&P is on my list of favorites, for the ergonomics mostly. I hated the sigma which seems to be like an ancestor of the current M&P because of the trigger pull. GLOCKs are great, and I shoot a GLOCK great, but the grip angle feels too unnatural to me. Notice I say ME and I too, as these are just my opinions. one thing about the M&P too is that they are affordable. But if your looking around in the shop, hold a SIG p226 and see how that feels. I would love to have one, I have never held a gun that fits my hand so well, but even when I come across a good deal on one, I just don't have the money in my pocket.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:31 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I think I am going to go with a .22 to start off with. I heard the Ruger Mark 3 is a great gun to start off with. Is anybody familiar with this gun?

Old 09-09-2011, 02:10 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 324 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I think an able-bodied shooter in training can learn on just about any platform or caliber. Some are just more practical and affordable than others.

S&W M&P is a solid platform if you like the fit, no criticism there.

40sw and 45acp are both very good defense calibers. They may require a bit more time and will require more money to master than 22lr or 9mm. That's all the info you need- because I certainly can't speak to the depth of your free time or wallet.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:14 AM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6shootersandw View Post
I think I am going to go with a .22 to start off with. I heard the Ruger Mark 3 is a great gun to start off with. Is anybody familiar with this gun?
Myself, I have a S&W Model 17 revolver and highly recommend it. But if I was looking for a semi-auto, the Ruger would be on my short list.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 09-09-2011, 02:59 AM   #17

Liked 1437 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6shootersandw View Post
Before you make the decision take a look at the GSG 1911-22.

GSG 1911 22LR $332.00 SHIPS FREE

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I went to my local gun shop and I decided to order the Ruger Mark III Target .22 5.5" Bull Barrel Blued Finish. I should have it in 10 days. Thanks for all the help guys. My next gun will be a 45 S&W I figured for my first gun learn how to shoot and I can shoot as much ammo as I want.