Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Help with First Handgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/help-first-handgun-47879/)

6shootersandw 09-06-2011 10:35 PM

Help with First Handgun
 
I am finally going to purchase my first handgun. I like S&W and would like to get a M&P 40 or 45ACP. I have had a couple of people telling me to start off with a .22 but I really want one of these guns. Any opinions would be very helpful.

trip286 09-06-2011 11:40 PM

I like revolvers myself. get anything you want, if you start with a .22 your just gonna want something bigger in about 6 weeks if not much earlier. Mine is a s&w model 65 in .357 mag and I love it. My MOM who is in later middle age at 54 years old and is not a large woman at 5'9" and 120 pounds, can handle my gun just fine, and is in fact more accurate with it than I am. She has a .22 rough rider, a Jiminez Arms .22 automatic, and a S&W M&P .40. she also has a rossi .44 mag lever action, mossberg 500 20 gauge, and is thinking about picking up a S&W model 29 in .44 mag. She has no problem with any of her guns. Unless you just can't handle anything at all, just skip the .22, M&P's are great, in fact I'm thinking my next one is gonna be a M&P .45.

6shootersandw 09-06-2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 575944)
I like revolvers myself. get anything you want, if you start with a .22 your just gonna want something bigger in about 6 weeks if not much earlier. Mine is a s&w model 65 in .357 mag and I love it. My MOM who is in later middle age at 54 years old and is not a large woman at 5'9" and 120 pounds, can handle my gun just fine, and is in fact more accurate with it than I am. She has a .22 rough rider, a Jiminez Arms .22 automatic, and a S&W M&P .40. she also has a rossi .44 mag lever action, mossberg 500 20 gauge, and is thinking about picking up a S&W model 29 in .44 mag. She has no problem with any of her guns. Unless you just can't handle anything at all, just skip the .22, M&P's are great, in fact I'm thinking my next one is gonna be a M&P .45.

Thanks for the info I can't wait to get it. I am probably going to go with the .45 and then my next gun will be a S&W .44 revolver. Your lucky to have a mother that's into guns.

Glockpotion23 09-07-2011 01:16 AM

You can always rent what you like before you make your investment but you sound like you already got your mind made up.

ScottA 09-07-2011 03:02 AM

If you like the .40 or .45, then go ahead and get one. My first handgun was a S&W 411 .40 caliber. But take this to heart...

Everyone needs a .22. That is probably the only rule most of us on this forum can agree upon. They are cheap to feed, meaning much more shooting, and a load of fun. I can pretty well guarantee you that your 2nd or at the very least 3rd gun will be a .22. Every time I go to the range, I'll mix and match which guns I take, but I'll always take one of my .22's.

mes227 09-07-2011 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6shootersandw (Post 575902)
I am finally going to purchase my first handgun. I like S&W and would like to get a M&P 40 or 45ACP. I have had a couple of people telling me to start off with a .22 but I really want one of these guns. Any opinions would be very helpful.

.45 acp is my favorite caliber and I have several 1911s and revolvers chambered in it. It's hard to go wrong with that. But, I also have a S&W M&P 40 that lives by my bed -- it's also a great caliber in a great platform.

danf_fl 09-07-2011 09:08 AM

a .357 revolver with a 4" barrel. You can shoot .38 Specials through it. You will learn that each shot has to count on target. It will force you to take a break to reload.
Maintenance is not that hard.

A semi-auto is a good firearm AFTER you have the basics of shooting down. Most Noob's will buy the latest and greatest. Fill the mag to hold 20 rounds, spray and pray at the target, then wonder why they cannot score a bull's-eye.

Jay 09-07-2011 09:49 AM

My usual response....

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper training, and fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

paulbrower 09-07-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay (Post 576224)
My usual response....

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper training, and fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

I agree 100% with Jay. Just remember, if you don't shoot often (or have never been shooting), it will take a while to build muscle-memory, and to get your 'shooting muscles' in shape. First time I shot my Glock 17 (9mm) my hands were shaking after 100 rounds and I thought the gun was too big for me. But, I kept at it, and I don't hesitate to put 500 rounds through it in a single range visit these days. When I shoot the Glock 17 now, I barely notice it. Bought a Glock 27 (.40) a couple of weeks ago, and to some extent, I'm going through the same exercise ... was a little tough first time I shot it, but it feels good now.

trip286 09-07-2011 03:31 PM

I do most definitely agree with keeping a good .22 around, just not as a first gun that is intended to serve as self defense. yes, the second or third firearms purchase should probably be a .22. personally if I could do it over again, my first purchase would be a shotty for home defense, apply for the ccw, get a handgun, and then a .22 of some type, maybe the umarex mp5 replica in .22, just because it's so damn cool. Instead, I got my model 65, carried illegally for quite a while (not to stick it to the man, but because I feel it's my right, and in my neck of the woods you just don't get hassled for it) and then I got a mosin nagant for the heck of it, because it's cheap and cool. My .22 is out of commission with a broken hammer sear and I just don't care enough about it to fix it right now, it only cost me 75 bucks.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:29 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.