Help deciding on pistol - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Help deciding on pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

M&p 9c or beretta 96 vertex if ur looking for full size . My two personal faves

Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for all your help and input fellas!! I ended up getting a SP2022 for a reasonable price on gunbroker. Turns out the shop i the gun came from had 9mm ammo for $14 a box for some federal fmj's!!!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #23

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts

Congrats on you're new Sig I'm sure it'll be a great shooter for you.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16 View Post
If you are going to use this gun as back up for hunting then you want a gun that can Knock a bear on its ass. with $600 you are looking at a .45 and have a choice of the M&P45, RIA 1911, maybe a Glock 21 if you can find one, or one of the tarus wheel gun models. If I were you and since you have a Hi-Pont already and yiou know they are not pieces of junk, get the .40 and the .45 models AND get a 995TS or 4095TS so then you will have 3 new guns v. one more when the President outlaws them all.
LOL. I'm not going up against a bear with anything short of a fawking hand grenade (though an RPG would work better ) I have no inclination to hunt something that would enjoy gnawing on my ass without some serious knockdown power. Seriously though, if you go out without a .50 for backup, that seems to me to be asking for trouble.

And the Sig will make you a fine weapon. They make great products, I carry one every day

Old 02-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #25

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Bears!!?? holy hell you just blew this out of the water. There's no way, no f**king way, carry, plinking and smacking a bear down fit on the same handgun. A .45ACP's gonna piss off a bear a bit more than a nine will but knocking one back takes velocity, not just diameter. That's pure wheel gun territory there. .357 mag or higher.
You can get round for your .45 that have hi volocity of 1200fps, I have some. It will do you alot better to shoot it with a .45 10 times than to hit it with a 9mm 17 times. You said you wanted something that would be good for self defense when Bow Hunting for $500. a .357 aint gonna cost you $500 esspecially a wheel gun. You are not getting a .44 for that amount of money and if you do, you are not gonna go out for the day target shooting. So you caneither get a .45 with +p rounds a .40 with ammor pircing rounds or a sawed off shotgun and use rifled slugs, but I don't think they have the speed on them. You have the same pPredatory Wild Animals there as we do here. and a 45 will kill a cougar and will scare the hell out of a bear. If he stands up and you shoot it it will kill him.

"Just a man and his jug settling an old fued"
-Me-

Old 02-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3309 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 1664

PABuck,

My recommendation would be the Sig or the Glock!
And as one has already stated! If you are going to do a lot of shooting and plinking better stay with the 9MM. Not that in the past I preferred it as a defense round. But in the latter years the ammunition available for them in good defense bullets has came a long way. And there are presently some excellent rounds available today for the 9MM. Since the Generation 4 Glocks are out you probably could land a great deal on a Generation III. And nothing wrong with buying a good used pistol. Many have not been shot hardly at all. A guy or gal will buy them on a whim and keep them in a drawer only to see something they want more later and trade them in or need some money. Most may have had less than two boxes of ammunition through them if that many!
Good Luck on your selection.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #27

Liked 75 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Cz75 or jericho 941

Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #28

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
LOL. I'm not going up against a bear with anything short of a fawking hand grenade (though an RPG would work better ) I have no inclination to hunt something that would enjoy gnawing on my ass without some serious knockdown power. Seriously though, if you go out without a .50 for backup, that seems to me to be asking for trouble.

And the Sig will make you a fine weapon. They make great products, I carry one every day
If you kill a deer and are cleaning it, If a bear is in the area you will be in some danger. The bear will smell a fresh kill and you will have blood all over yourself. Bears live bait rather than dead bait. You will need a gun that you are able to put down a bear with. The S&W .500 would be fantastic for that or even a .44 but you will not be shooting a whole lot at the range you will pay about $1.60 per round for either one of these guns.

"Just a man and his jug settling an old fued"
-Me-

Old 02-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7293 Times on 4031 Posts
Likes Given: 7066

Vector, if you shoot a bear 10 times with a .45 ACP, you're really gonna piss him off.

A 9mm isn't much better, but at least it has more penetration.

Use of either would be an act of incredible stupidity.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Cattledog Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16 View Post
If you kill a deer and are cleaning it, If a bear is in the area you will be in some danger. The bear will smell a fresh kill and you will have blood all over yourself. Bears live bait rather than dead bait. You will need a gun that you are able to put down a bear with. The S&W .500 would be fantastic for that or even a .44 but you will not be shooting a whole lot at the range you will pay about $1.60 per round for either one of these guns.
Fortunately for me, we don't have bears down here. We do have Panthers, mountain lions, bobcats, etc but those can all be handled with said deer rifle. I'm quite confident with my abilities with a weapon, but even I would rather just pass on an altercation with a Grizzly. (but if I had to, the S&W 500 would be my first choice in sidearms)