Help deciding on pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Help deciding on pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Help deciding on pistol

Hi all, I'm in the market for a new pistol in the price range of $500-$600 and have no clue which ones to look into. I do not have any ranges nearby my house and every gun shop i go into is sold out of everything and I have to order one. I'm looking into either the 9mm or 357 sig. I currently own a cheap HiPoint 9mm and it is fun to shoot but nothing special. I have shot a Glock 17 9mm and a Sig Sauer 40 (not sure of the model) and I liked both of them. I liked the Sig trigger better than the Glock but both pistols were nice.

I would be using this pistol for plinking, home defense and carry during archery season here in PA. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated, i'm overwhelmed at looking at all of the different options. I like the Sig's but read bad things about DAO trigger. What is a DAO trigger?!?!?!

Also, price of ammo is another concern.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #2

Liked 380 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 4

DAO=Double Action Only. Re:what pistol. I know it's an honest question, but you'll get as many responses as there are members here. My $.02, whatever you decide, get it in 9mm. Much cheaper to shoot and with modern ammo an adequate SD round.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #3

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABUCK View Post
Hi all, I'm in the market for a new pistol in the price range of $500-$600 and have no clue which ones to look into. I do not have any ranges nearby my house and every gun shop i go into is sold out of everything and I have to order one. I'm looking into either the 9mm or 357 sig. I currently own a cheap HiPoint 9mm and it is fun to shoot but nothing special. I have shot a Glock 17 9mm and a Sig Sauer 40 (not sure of the model) and I liked both of them. I liked the Sig trigger better than the Glock but both pistols were nice.

I would be using this pistol for plinking, home defense and carry during archery season here in PA. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated, i'm overwhelmed at looking at all of the different options. I like the Sig's but read bad things about DAO trigger. What is a DAO trigger?!?!?!

Also, price of ammo is another concern.
Read here a lot - MANY threads on this subject throughout the forum ---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok, I'm looking into the following 3 guns: Glock (17 or 19), Sig Sauer (P2022 or P250) & M&P 9 or Pro. From what I read I want to stay away from the DAO triggers. I just need a pistol that will be good for self defense/plinking, durable enough to shoot a 1000 rounds a year maintenance free and is super easy to clean.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #5

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

357. Sig is hardly what I would call a plinking round .It is a pricey round to shoot.However I think anything you pick up right now is gonna be pricey.I'm not 100% on this but I believe thatyou can get conversion barrels for glock and the Sig 2022 if you buy in 357. down to 9. I would check Wolf and EFK Firedragon websites for that info.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #6

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Honestly DAO triggers are not that bad. I have one on my LC9 and I'm just as accurate as I am with my SA 1911. You are what you train with. Check out a few ranges to see what rentals there are. I'd recommend 9mm because the ammo is cheaper and more plentiful (usually) the 357 sig. Plus with all the choices of SD rounds out there you have plenty of choices when picking. Hornady makes a great 9mm SD round.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5692 Times on 3217 Posts
Likes Given: 5085

I would avoid a DAO trigger like the plague.

The SIG and Glock are both excellent choices. And by all means get 9mm.

Winston Churchill

Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

What trigger you use depends on you and your likes. Some swear by DAO only, others claim nothing other than SAO, while still others prefer to have the option of either. I personally own a Glock 30 (.45) and a Sig P938 (9mm) I shoot both regularly. The Glock is normally going to cost your about $550, the Sigs are a little bit higher. (my Glock was $529 many years ago, my Sig was $675 a few months back) The sig has a SAO trigger. I have revolvers that have SAO and DAO. I have some DAO only. It really depends on how comfortable you are carrying a weapon and it what condition your are willing (or legally able ) to carry. I carry my Sig Condition 1 (full magazine, a round in the chamber, hammer back safety on) There was a time when shooting 9mm was cheaper than other calibers, but in the past few months the price differential in rounds has about hit a level plane in costs. I can actually get .45 cheaper right now than 9mm. But my first decent quality handgun was a Glock, and I still have it to this day after many other brands I've owned have come and gone. There again, the S&W MP series is a fabulous gun with amazingly high reliability. I own quite a few S&W products. No one can tell you what you need or want though, so it's more than worth it to take at least one trip to a range where rentals are available in everything you want to try before you buy. That way you don't buy something you don't like, cause in the end that's all that matters.

GP

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

If you can go to about $800, a basic Sig P226 is DA/SA and based upon what you've posted you'll probably like this much better than DAO. DAO is great, but it takes time on the trigger to be proficient with it for most people. There is a lot of love for the Springfield XD / XD(M) as well (since you like Glock). If you haven't tried it, give it a shot at the range. It's in your price point. Also in your price point and DA/SA are CZs, which you may find similar to Sig. You would do well to try them too.

9 mm is the cheapest and most universal round, but also a nightmare to get right now until the madness passes. Long run, probably the best investment for what you're looking for.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #10

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
If you can go to about $800, a basic Sig P226 is DA/SA and based upon what you've posted you'll probably like this much better than DAO. DAO is great, but it takes time on the trigger to be proficient with it for most people. There is a lot of love for the Springfield XD / XD(M) as well (since you like Glock). If you haven't tried it, give it a shot at the range. It's in your price point. Also in your price point and DA/SA are CZs, which you may find similar to Sig. You would do well to try them too.

9 mm is the cheapest and most universal round, but also a nightmare to get right now until the madness passes. Long run, probably the best investment for what you're looking for.
The 2022 is a sa/da within his price range he doesn't have to spend 800 on a 226.