Hello! Newbee here - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hello! Newbee here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

First I echo what spitty posted with the following editorial;

Do you intend to carry? That will send you in an entirely different direction than just home defense.

If carry is in your future, please read this:

Read this before you decide to carry!

If home protection is your choice then a shotgun is your answer.

By your own admission, you have no firearms experience. If a handgun is necessary, your best choice is a .357 Rem Mag revolver. Simple to use, maintain and conceal. Plenty of stopping power and it will shoot the less expensive and powerful .38 Spl. for practice.

BUT, before you purchase, I think a paradigm shift is required if you want to arm yourself for personal protection. I hope that change occurs after you read the above article. May I be blunt?

The second you strap on a firearm you enter a zero-defect activity. You must understand that if this endeavor is undertaken before ALL the criteria are met only bad things will result! The tiniest mistake can/will put you in a cage or a box. (Especially in your state!)

If I may, your OP quote: "Is .45 enough to "stop" someone, not necessary kill him/her just stop him."

Let me answer your question with a question. Do you think the Bad Guy you have decided to protect yourself against is thinking about stopping, not killing you?

I think Col. Jeff Cooper summed it up best when he stated; "One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that 'violence begets violence.' I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure, and in some cases I have, that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy."

Here's another thought, "Never shoot to kill, shoot to LIVE!"

It is the desire of this forum to introduce "new" shooters to a safe and enjoyable experience. That can only happen if you follow the recommendations of the experienced and do your homework of reading, training and asking questions. If you should enjoy 10% of what I have as a firearms owner you will be one happy camper!

Read, read, read!
Train, train, train!
Ask, ask, ask!
and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #12

Thank you Canebrake, lots of good information. Yeah, my state has very strict law against guns...

I will try out the .357 at my local gun range, and I probably should get something that my wife can use as well right?

Old 12-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #13

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMD View Post
Thank you Canebrake, lots of good information. Yeah, my state has very strict law against guns...

I will try out the .357 at my local gun range, and I probably should get something that my wife can use as well right?
I meant no offence with my frankness but I, like all our members, take firearm stewardship very seriously.

This is one of the finest, concealable 357 revolvers that would fit your first gun needs and a great hand-me-down for your SO in the near future.

357.jpg

Ruger LCR-357 ^

elsieahrrrr.jpg

And my Elsie Ahrrr in .38Spl +P ^

You will soon discover that your first firearm is just a stepping stone to building a personal collection. This is due to the fact that there is no “best” gun, only guns that perform the “best” in a given use. And if you are like most of our members, always finding new uses (read: new guns) to peruse.
ruger-lcr-357-5450.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #14

Liked 1089 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 340

Quote:

Cressup in Frederick is a decent public range.

If you can get your wife to enjoy shooting from the beginning, it will probably make your life easier when you start drooling over some of the guns you will want in the future.

Did anyone warn you that firearms tend to be an addictive hobby? You won't be happy with just one, don't say you were not warned.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #15

haha. Yeah, I have heard. Frederick is kinda of too far from me, more than an hour drive. I have googled few range near my house, and going to try few guns before buying one.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I meant no offence with my frankness but I, like all our members, take firearm stewardship very seriously.

This is one of the finest, concealable 357 revolvers that would fit your first gun needs and a great hand-me-down for your SO in the near future.

Attachment 22603

Ruger LCR-357 ^

Attachment 22604

And my Elsie Ahrrr in .38Spl +P ^

You will soon discover that your first firearm is just a stepping stone to building a personal collection. This is due to the fact that there is no “best” gun, only guns that perform the “best” in a given use. And if you are like most of our members, always finding new uses (read: new guns) to peruse.
Luv your freakness, sir. You are a great help, and I will take your advice seriously. No doubt about that!

Old 12-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #17

Default First carry

Threads like this one with multiple points tend to get wordy sometimes. May I make a suggestion?

Ask yourself exactly why you need or want a handgun. Like some of the guys have said, this answer is not as simple as we would think. Take several days, be sure of your answer.

Then go through your mind all the different scenarios you can think of, for what ever the reason you come up with. If you decide on target practice, you'll have laws to learn, techniques to master, safety issues, etc, etc. If you decide on personal defense, you'll have the same issues to deal with, plus more. If you decide on concealed carry, you got all the above plus lots more like personal safety, family safety, bystanders safety, when/when not to shoot, and so on. Some people, including myself, believe that if you carry concealed you need to be as informed about the laws of the states your going to carry in as LEO.

It's way too early to talk about brands and types of handguns, and law speculation until you can answer the above quickly from the heart. Somethings you just can't take back.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:25 AM   #18
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Welcome to FTF! Lots of good advice already given and expect I will repeat some of it.

The best investment you can do right now is find a range that rents and offers training. Learn about firearms, understand your needs/ability and get the training to make certian you are able to use the firearm if needed. After doing that the right pistol to buy is an easier choice.

Bottom line the best pistol in the hand of a person who isn't trained to use it is worth far less than a lesser pistol in the hand of a person who trained to use it.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:25 AM   #19

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Good to have you here. Welcome to the FTF.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:56 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Thank you Spittinfire.

Isn't like a .45 can carry more ammo than a revolver? Well, if I ever would to use the gun, I think 6 rounds should be enough? LOL!

Do you keep your gun close by, or locked up? What I have read so far is that, guns should be locked up at all time...That's not too useful if I really need to use it.
Lee remember the rule of 3's....most self defense encounters are 3 shots, from 3 feet, in 3 seconds!