Hello! Newbee here
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hello! Newbee here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hello! Newbee here

Hey guys, I have just joined the forum and started to get into guns & home safty.

Due to recent events, I need to arm myself. What would you guys recommend as my first handgun? I have looked at Berretta, and Glock but dont really know the difference. Our gun story salesman are no help, and can't really answer any of my question.

1. Is .45 enough to "stop" someone, not necessary kill him/her just stop him.
2. Since I dont have any prior experience with guns, is there any good books I can read?
3. What about home safety training class or any other tactical classes? Are there any in Maryland? Or how do I found out if there are any offered?
4. Should I buy a .22 first for target practice? Since the ammo is much cheaper than .45? And I am sure I will probably use lots of ammo, right?

Thank you guys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Welcome to the forum.

1. If you shoot at someone, you want to kill them. You aren't shooting to wound, shoot to kill and end the threat. Not only is this for your personal safety but your legal safety as well.

2 & 3. There are many books you can read and classes you can take. Find a local gun range and ask what they have to offer. if they don't offer anything they should be able to point you in the right direction.

4. A 22 is a great starter pistol as well as a training tool(not to mention fun, cheap plinking) but is a poor choice for self/home defense.

Are you sold on a 45 or are you open to ideas? Nothing wrong with a 45 but there may be better options for a new shooter.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #3

I am open to new ideas, spittinfire.

The saleman at the gun store keeps telling me about .45, so I assume that's the gun. What do you have in mind?

Actually, the local range only offers gun cleaning or range class...nothing about safety or tactical training. Ohh well, I guess I will google it.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For a person new to guns I would start with a revolver. They are easier to use and learn. For self defense if for some reason there is a misfire you just squeeze the trigger again where with a semi auto you'll need to learn correctional action and practice it.
I would recommend a 357 because you can shoot 38s thru it. The 38 is a decent self defense round and is cheaper to shoot then a 45 or 357 for practice and learning. You'll need to spend a lot of time with the weapon and if you can afford ammo, you wont practice. Once you get comfortable you can step up to 357 which is a well known man stopper.
I armed my wife with a Ruger SP101 which can be had for $400-500 depending on your area and will serve you for a lifetime, even with hot magnums.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

In general, sales folks at gun stores are a terrible place to get good information.

Any modern pistol round, from .380 up to .45 will do the job as long as you do your part with shot placement. The choice of caliber depends on a lot of factors - not the least of which is ammo cost. Just buying a gun doesn't prepare you for a defensive role - lots of practice is required to get proficient. The need to fire lots of rounds is one reason many folks start with a 9mm as their first self-defense gun - it's much cheaper to shoot than all the other standard calibers. The choice of gun is very personal as we each have our likes and dislikes. The best bet is to find a range that rents guns and try some out...

Old 12-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community.

I echo Spittinfire's sentiments.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #7

Thank you Spittinfire.

Isn't like a .45 can carry more ammo than a revolver? Well, if I ever would to use the gun, I think 6 rounds should be enough? LOL!

Do you keep your gun close by, or locked up? What I have read so far is that, guns should be locked up at all time...That's not too useful if I really need to use it.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A locked up unloaded gun is no better than a brick or large rock, only good for throwing....once. If you have children in the house, they need firearms training, just like you. Being a gun owner carries plenty of responsibility.

When I feel like it, I carry my weapon. Other times, it is within reach. When I am feeling foolish or have the perimeter alarm set, I will leave it in the bedroom, but the 12 gage is always handy right around the corner. With recent robberies in the area and the worsening economy, thieves here have realized the police respond from 50 miles away and won't arrive for hours. Needless to say, i carry my weapon often.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #9

Liked 1127 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 349

Welcome to the forum!

My suggestion for a first gun is to keep it simple. A revolver is a good choice, there are plenty of calibers to choose from or if you want to ease into it a .22 is a great way.

A locked up gun is about useless for immediate home defense. Think about how much time you think you would have should an intruder enter your home. Your weapon needs to be easily accessible and ready to fire in less than that time in order to be effective.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Welcome to the FTF.

lots of good advice here.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."