Hello. Dinosaur here. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hello. Dinosaur here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #21
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2011 Times on 1094 Posts
Likes Given: 602

You could always go to laminates. You get the wood and still get a stable platform.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

dango Likes This 
Old 05-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5724 Times on 2992 Posts
Likes Given: 379

i think a lot of it is less maintenance needed as plastics and composites dont rust easily. matte black conceals better and less noticable by the sheeple if a slide or barrel sticks out. weight is another huge factor plastics and composites weight less than steel.

plastics and composites are easy to make in molds than machining out recievers from a chunk of steel with a pocket knife this reduces costs greatly. compare the cost of a good colt 1911 with a similar capacity and sized handgun with similar accuracy and reliabilty made from composites.

all that leads to cheaper and more comfortable carry guns.

we are a in a cost concious time and low priced high quality items sell better than high cost high quality items every day of the week. how it looks is fourth seat to the economic and ease of upkeep and weight to a lot of folks looking for a carry gun.

ccw is driving a LOT of the handgun purchases in the last few years. steel guns are pretty much selling at the same pace they always have as they are mainly status range toys nowadays but the work horses are the plastic parts guns stamped out in assembly lines by robots.

if john browning had access to injection mold technology and high impact composites the 1911 woulda been a polyframed designed.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-23-2013 at 01:16 PM.
dango Likes This 
Old 05-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #23

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
if john browning had access to injection mold technology and high impact composites the 1911 woulda been a polyframed designed.
Probably true but blasphemy none the less..

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

People Like This 
Old 05-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #24

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've owned some plastic fantastics and they where OK. But I never had what I call that lovin' feelin' with them. I guess I am kind of old (50 this year) but the Glocks hav been around a while and soon after the plethora of similar designs. I have a couple rifles with poly stocks. I get it. They are cheaper to make and are lighter. But I"ll toss my 03A3 over my shoulder and get my gimped behind in the woods before I grab the Mossberg of the same caliber. I am in fact looking to replace the plastic stock with some wood. I just like it better. The only plus I have found to plastic over wood is I don't feel like an ass if I paint it. I can't hardly bring myself to paint wood. Sand it, stain it, seal it OK. Paint is not for wood gun parts except as a last resort.

A gun long or short are more to me than tools though. I see them for their form, function, and the beauty they possess. It's what has always attracted me to older guns. They simply always appear to have more of a soul, or maybe more accurate have a soul.

It's fine if I'm not agreed with.. In fact I kind of like it better that way. It helps me find those old souls looking for someone like me that will take a little time and try to bring them back to former glory. Or at least do what I can to give them the TLC they sometimes desperately need. I'm then rewarded when I take them out and show that they can do what's needed. Some times better then the ones that have come to replace them in the world. Just because it's new does not make it better. Truth be told being old does not either. But I'm almost always willing to get the old wood and steel and see what I can do with it. I have very rarely been disappointed. And believe me nothing is more irritating to the I got to have the new wizbang guy than some old guy with than even older gun that proceeds to show that the wizbang might not be the best after all. At least not that day

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 05-23-2013 at 03:36 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #25

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Oh..And gun belts and holsters are supposed to be leather. If God carried a gun it would not be in a kydex rig with a ballistic nylon belt.
I in-vision a nice leather shoulder rig. Being it would do well under the robe. With a 1911 in it!! That's right..I went there...

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

dango Likes This 
Old 05-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3216 Times on 1823 Posts
Likes Given: 18574

To my friend txpossum....! SOS your cro-magnon vision would have been

Thee plastic version of thee (GROCK)..?

Old 05-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5814 Times on 3288 Posts
Likes Given: 5270

I guess that I like synthetic stocks, gray-black phosphate finishes, and polymer parts for the same basic reasons that I like diesel 4X4 pickup trucks better than sedans.

Winston Churchill