Hello. Dinosaur here.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hello. Dinosaur here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Hello. Dinosaur here.

Okay. Mebbe I fall into the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" category, but what is the facination with plastic these days?

Plastic guns (okay, composite or polymer); plastic holster (kydex); plastic stocks (synthetic); plastic gunbelts (balistic nylon) and whatever. I find them to be rather ugly and . . . cold. Someone explain to me how you could get the same feelilng wiping off a synthetic stocked rifle with 409 or whatever as you do oiling a nice piece of walnut? That the appearance of a plastic gun will be as pleasing as a nicely blued or case hardened steel? There is something soothing in using saddle soap and mink oil on a gunbelt. What's the attraction?
Some will say they are more "pratical" -- that they are easier to take care of, that they hold up better in bad conditions, etc. Okay, I'll give you that. But cleaning and oiling my guns and equipment is part of my shooting ritual -- I enjoy it. Does convenience make up for not being able to appreciate the . . . well, the organic qualities of steel and leather, vs. plastic?

Last edited by txpossum; 05-22-2013 at 01:46 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

So I guess this means that your not a Glock guy.

NRA Certified Instructor, Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Recruiter
GSSF, CRPA, WSRPA
G26, G27, G22x2

Old 05-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #3

I think Glocks are reliable and hold up to hard use. I had a Glock 23 years ago, shot it for about six months to try to get used to it, but never bonded with it. They're a good gun for what they are designed for, but . . .no, not for me. With automatics I fall firmly into the 1911 camp -- now THAT'S a surprise, right?

Last edited by txpossum; 05-22-2013 at 01:47 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #4

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I get what you are saying. I have two types of firearms. The ones that I shot the guts out of and don't feel bad about it...and the ones that I shoot occasionally our not at all but are kept in excellent condition. I am sure you can guess which one is which. For me, organic materials holds a special place in my heart and my safe.

Polymer....I still take care of them..but I prefer to shoot, hunt, carry a gun that I am not afraid to "hurt" ....if that makes sense.

As for holsters, leather all the way..I don't care for nylon, plastic. Although I did carry my heritage Arms rough rider in nylon Bc I could not find a leather one I liked and was willing to pay for....before the accident.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 05-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve View Post
I get what you are saying. I have two types of firearms. The ones that I shot the guts out of and don't feel bad about it...and the ones that I shoot occasionally our not at all but are kept in excellent condition. I am sure you can guess which one is which. For me, organic materials holds a special place in my heart and my safe.

Polymer....I still take care of them..but I prefer to shoot, hunt, carry a gun that I am not afraid to "hurt" ....if that makes sense.

As for holsters, leather all the way..I don't care for nylon, plastic. Although I did carry my heritage Arms rough rider in nylon Bc I could not find a leather one I liked and was willing to pay for....before the accident.
I sorta agree with you about two different types of guns. Just between you and me, the gun I take most often camping is a stainless steel Ruger Security Six, and my carry gun is usually an ugly Starvel finished Firestar. And I guess if I were in situation where I had to carry a rifle for days or weeks on end in all kinds of weather conditions, a synthetic stock would made sense. So I 'm not a purist. I can underrstand having both, and not wanting to beat up your nicer ones.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #6

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
Okay. Mebbe I fall into the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" category, but what is the facination with plastic these days?

Plastic guns (okay, composite or polymer); plastic holster (kydex); plastic stocks (synthetic); plastic gunbelts (balistic nylon) and whatever. I find them to be rather ugly and . . . cold. Someone explain to me how you could get the same feelilng wiping off a synthetic stocked rifle with 409 or whatever as you do oiling a nice piece of walnut? That the appearance of a plastic gun will be as pleasing as a nicely blued or case hardened steel? There is something soothing in using saddle soap and mink oil on a gunbelt. What's the attraction?
Some will say they are more "pratical" -- that they are easier to take care of, that they hold up better in bad conditions, etc. Okay, I'll give you that. But cleaning and oiling my guns and equipment is part of my shooting ritual -- I enjoy it. Does convenience make up for not being able to appreciate the . . . well, the organic qualities of steel and leather, vs. plastic?
I feel the same way, and I'm sure that i'm far younger than you.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #7

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

I like both types. I appreciate the beauty of the classic as well as the functionality of the modern. But wood splits, can discolor and deform from weather and time. They require more maintenance.

At least that's my take.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I like both types. I appreciate the beauty of the classic as well as the functionality of the modern. But wood splits, can discolor and deform from weather and time. They require more maintenance.

At least that's my take.
I have to admit that these days I am more of a backyard shooter. I am lucky enough to now live where I can shoot up to 100 yards by walking out my back door. When they dug the basement for our house, I had the contractor haul some of the dirt down to the edge of the woods, and make me a backstop. So they don't get subjected to a lot of crappy weather. But, while I can see the need for the more wear resisitent material, they still don't engender the same response in me that the older classic guns do.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #9

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think the single biggest draw to polymer guns, aside from durability, is price. With Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, etc selling for anywhere from the $350-500 range, people are going to gravitate toward them quicker than a $700-$800 Sig or a $1400 Les Baer.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

racer_x Likes This 
Old 05-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #10

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
I think the single biggest draw to polymer guns, aside from durability, is price. With Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, etc selling for anywhere from the $350-500 range, people are going to gravitate toward them quicker than a $700-$800 Sig or a $1400 Les Baer.
I want to know where you are buying your firearms for the low end of your range! I do agree that price was a determining factor in my first handgun purchase...but the wood furniture I do have is beautiful for sure!

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton