Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Hello. Dinosaur here. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/hello-dinosaur-here-91079/)

txpossum 05-22-2013 01:30 PM

Hello. Dinosaur here.

Okay. Mebbe I fall into the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" category, but what is the facination with plastic these days?

Plastic guns (okay, composite or polymer); plastic holster (kydex); plastic stocks (synthetic); plastic gunbelts (balistic nylon) and whatever. I find them to be rather ugly and . . . cold. Someone explain to me how you could get the same feelilng wiping off a synthetic stocked rifle with 409 or whatever as you do oiling a nice piece of walnut? That the appearance of a plastic gun will be as pleasing as a nicely blued or case hardened steel? There is something soothing in using saddle soap and mink oil on a gunbelt. What's the attraction?
Some will say they are more "pratical" -- that they are easier to take care of, that they hold up better in bad conditions, etc. Okay, I'll give you that. But cleaning and oiling my guns and equipment is part of my shooting ritual -- I enjoy it. Does convenience make up for not being able to appreciate the . . . well, the organic qualities of steel and leather, vs. plastic?

jbardellini 05-22-2013 01:38 PM

So I guess this means that your not a Glock guy.

txpossum 05-22-2013 01:44 PM

I think Glocks are reliable and hold up to hard use. I had a Glock 23 years ago, shot it for about six months to try to get used to it, but never bonded with it. They're a good gun for what they are designed for, but . . .no, not for me. With automatics I fall firmly into the 1911 camp -- now THAT'S a surprise, right?

apwvsd40ve 05-22-2013 01:48 PM

I get what you are saying. I have two types of firearms. The ones that I shot the guts out of and don't feel bad about it...and the ones that I shoot occasionally our not at all but are kept in excellent condition. I am sure you can guess which one is which. For me, organic materials holds a special place in my heart and my safe.

Polymer....I still take care of them..but I prefer to shoot, hunt, carry a gun that I am not afraid to "hurt" ....if that makes sense.

As for holsters, leather all the way..I don't care for nylon, plastic. Although I did carry my heritage Arms rough rider in nylon Bc I could not find a leather one I liked and was willing to pay for....before the accident.

txpossum 05-22-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve (Post 1254740)
I get what you are saying. I have two types of firearms. The ones that I shot the guts out of and don't feel bad about it...and the ones that I shoot occasionally our not at all but are kept in excellent condition. I am sure you can guess which one is which. For me, organic materials holds a special place in my heart and my safe.

Polymer....I still take care of them..but I prefer to shoot, hunt, carry a gun that I am not afraid to "hurt" ....if that makes sense.

As for holsters, leather all the way..I don't care for nylon, plastic. Although I did carry my heritage Arms rough rider in nylon Bc I could not find a leather one I liked and was willing to pay for....before the accident.

I sorta agree with you about two different types of guns. Just between you and me, the gun I take most often camping is a stainless steel Ruger Security Six, and my carry gun is usually an ugly Starvel finished Firestar. And I guess if I were in situation where I had to carry a rifle for days or weeks on end in all kinds of weather conditions, a synthetic stock would made sense. So I 'm not a purist. I can underrstand having both, and not wanting to beat up your nicer ones.

Garadex 05-22-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum
Okay. Mebbe I fall into the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" category, but what is the facination with plastic these days?

Plastic guns (okay, composite or polymer); plastic holster (kydex); plastic stocks (synthetic); plastic gunbelts (balistic nylon) and whatever. I find them to be rather ugly and . . . cold. Someone explain to me how you could get the same feelilng wiping off a synthetic stocked rifle with 409 or whatever as you do oiling a nice piece of walnut? That the appearance of a plastic gun will be as pleasing as a nicely blued or case hardened steel? There is something soothing in using saddle soap and mink oil on a gunbelt. What's the attraction?
Some will say they are more "pratical" -- that they are easier to take care of, that they hold up better in bad conditions, etc. Okay, I'll give you that. But cleaning and oiling my guns and equipment is part of my shooting ritual -- I enjoy it. Does convenience make up for not being able to appreciate the . . . well, the organic qualities of steel and leather, vs. plastic?

I feel the same way, and I'm sure that i'm far younger than you.

BeyondTheBox 05-22-2013 04:36 PM

I like both types. I appreciate the beauty of the classic as well as the functionality of the modern. But wood splits, can discolor and deform from weather and time. They require more maintenance.

At least that's my take.

txpossum 05-22-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1254871)
I like both types. I appreciate the beauty of the classic as well as the functionality of the modern. But wood splits, can discolor and deform from weather and time. They require more maintenance.

At least that's my take.

I have to admit that these days I am more of a backyard shooter. I am lucky enough to now live where I can shoot up to 100 yards by walking out my back door. When they dug the basement for our house, I had the contractor haul some of the dirt down to the edge of the woods, and make me a backstop. So they don't get subjected to a lot of crappy weather. But, while I can see the need for the more wear resisitent material, they still don't engender the same response in me that the older classic guns do.

HighSpeed 05-22-2013 07:39 PM

I think the single biggest draw to polymer guns, aside from durability, is price. With Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, etc selling for anywhere from the $350-500 range, people are going to gravitate toward them quicker than a $700-$800 Sig or a $1400 Les Baer.

apwvsd40ve 05-23-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighSpeed (Post 1255002)
I think the single biggest draw to polymer guns, aside from durability, is price. With Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, etc selling for anywhere from the $350-500 range, people are going to gravitate toward them quicker than a $700-$800 Sig or a $1400 Les Baer.

I want to know where you are buying your firearms for the low end of your range! I do agree that price was a determining factor in my first handgun purchase...but the wood furniture I do have is beautiful for sure!